Xp And Microsoft Updates

Hi everyone. My PC gave the blue screen yesterday :rant:

the problem started when i got the last update from microsoft update website, something about components. its called kb832483.

Anyhow, I updated and gone to bed.Next morning my pc was paralized. nothing was working. no explorer no oulook express nothing happened no matter how many times you keep clicking. i went to safe mode ,tried to delete delete the last update then the pc started giving me the blue screen and rebooting. To make the story short my pc was running a loop rebooting->bluescreen->rebooting........you got the picture.

Stupid me i got dell on line to get some support and of course i got nothing. dont get me wrong they talk to you but with good info. Their advice was to NEVER UPDATE FROM MICROSOFT.

I also watch a show here in USA called Techtv and those guys keep insisting on getting the updates from Micro..

After all this , I dont know who to believe . I managed to reinstall xp with sp1 and its working fine now.

I guess my question to you all is

Are updates neccessary if one is running XP?

the only time i've ever updated something from microsoft was to SP1, nothing else. Ask yourself, whats the point of updating? Will all your beloved progs and games stop working?

What are the odds of some foreign hacker dude randomly locating your computer and hacking into it using a library bug in windows media player? :lol:

M$ overdoes it with the updates. ;) Never update anything unless you are sure it will work.

Originally posted by Flarex@Jan 17 2004, 12:58 AM

the only time i've ever updated something from microsoft was to SP1, nothing else.

Same here. Barring SP1 I have not updated a goddamn thing except my NAV definitions. Updates have killed so many beloved apps. My musheen has been an utter joy since the last reformat about 5 months ago, no pop-ups, viruses or worms and no updates whatsoever. Basic maintenance is the key.

I used to update my system faithfully, putting windows on for automatic updates... until I find it screwing up the applications which I am running.

Sometimes I just wonder... do the updates actually solve problems? Or do they simply solve the previous problems, and create new ones? Or just adding on to those already present. :blink:

Update, and my home LAN ceased to work. :rant:

kb832483 is a legitimate update.

It WILL NOT cause your PC to break.

It patches anywhere from 3 to 8 MDAC related files.

Depending on what version of MDAC your running.

I hate it when people bash security updates.

I would love to have the time to scan each of your PC's to prove to you just how open to an attack you guys are.

I could care less if it screws up my modded system files, I can always fix them.

I cannot fix someone finding there way into my PC and stealing personal info or whatever.

XP and all Windows based operating systems in general have years of catching up to do in the area of security.

Your gonna see alot more patches util the base source code that is used has been cleaned up.

Deal with it or switch do a different OS.

Just quit "female dog"en about it... it happens to ALL OS's, some more than others.

"Basic maintenance is the key." THIS INCLUDES APPLYING SYSTEM PATCHES.

"the only time i've ever updated something from microsoft was to SP1, nothing else. Ask yourself, whats the point of updating? Will all your beloved progs and games stop working?

What are the odds of some foreign hacker dude randomly locating your computer and hacking into it using a library bug in windows media player?

M$ overdoes it with the updates. Never update anything unless you are sure it will work. " The odds are actually very high... look at blaster... look at SQL Slammer... hit millions of PC's... except those who applied the patch when it was released. btw the blaster patch was released almost 6 months before the worm.

Yeah, you're an idiot if you dont patch, on any operating system.

There is a reason worms and viruses are so rampant, and that's people not keeping things up to date.

ESPECIALLY for visitors of this website. There's lots of little reghacks, DLLs, and other files you download here. You have no assurance of their validity. Need I remind you of the Mr.Aqua Fiasco a little while ago?

Not to mention things like MS Blaster, where you just had to be connected to the internet.

And yes, it IS our concern. Having a thousand machines become zombies because of idiot owners screws up the whole internet when they are sent to do DDOS attacks. You have a SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY to keep your system up to date, because it hurts all of us.

Exactly.. BTW the Blaster worm is still running around rampant.. I reinstalled windows on Saturday. OS, then drivers, left the system running while I ran out for 20 minutes to get lunch to bring back.. came in the front door and my system was rebooting doh.. in just 20 minutes my system was nailed. had to start over

Originally posted by nowhereman@Jan 16 2004, 05:57 PM

Exactly.. BTW the Blaster worm is still running around rampant.. I reinstalled windows on Saturday. OS, then drivers, left the system running while I ran out for 20 minutes to get lunch to bring back.. came in the front door and my system was rebooting doh.. in just 20 minutes my system was nailed. had to start over

Same thing happened to mine... So I guess it's a good idea to get the AV up and running as soon as possible as well.

i'm not bashing security updates. Its just that i think you should be more aware of whats going on in your computer. Why download updates if you have no idea of what they do? Same goes for apps and .dlls. Why download the files if you have no clue of whether they're safe or not? If you never download anything, then you won't get ms blaster. If you never download anything you aren't sure of having ms blaster then you won't get it. If you download something, thinking its a cool app, chances are, theres a possibility of getting blaster.

What are the odds of some foreign hacker dude randomly locating your computer and hacking into it using a library bug in windows media player? 

Like i said, some of the updates are really stupid. Its a waste of disk space, thats all. :blink:

Originally posted by silencedge@Jan 16 2004, 02:04 PM

Same thing happened to mine... So I guess it's a good idea to get the AV up and running as soon as possible as well.

Ditto here is this regard...Now whenever I do a reformat of my WinXP system, the first thing that I do is install my Norton System Works (AV-updates), and my Norton Firewall, then go to Windows Update, immediately D/L and install SP1, then the most recent security patches, and all is fine...

Twice in the past, after my reformats, I did not have my Symantec apps installed, and after being on the net for 10 minutes, was 'Blasted'...

P.S. With Flyakite's v4.0 Panther sysfiles, Chris has always kept them updated with any 'recent security patches' that get picked up by Windows Update...He has done this procedure with all of his installers...With latest MDAC patch, he immediately informed me that this patch 'would not' interfere with any of his tweaked sysfiles...

To all Admins & Mods, this man definately deserves a 'Developers Badge'...hint-hint...

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Flarex@Jan 16 2004, 11:22 AM

If you never download anything, then you won't get ms blaster. If you never download anything you aren't sure of having ms blaster then you won't get it. If you download something, thinking its a cool app, chances are, theres a possibility of getting blaster.

Blaster does not require you to download anything... all you have to do is connect to the internet with an unpatched system and wait a few minutes.

You'll get nailed.

You may not know every detail about a MS patch, but I gaurantee you will be able to find out exactly what it does or fixes before you download.

That much cannot be said for most applications and modded system files.

I trust very few people's system files.

Flyakite's is one of the few that pass the test on quality.

Comments like this, "Like i said, some of the updates are really stupid. Its a waste of disk space, thats all.", are why people's PC's get infected in the first place.

Nothing personal, but it's pure ignorance.

Haven't had blaster in a while, ran an unpatched win2k and winxp on a cable system for a couple of days no problem. My main beef was IE always getting hijacked.

At the update site it says "review and install updates", it's your perogative to read what it fixes b/4 you download.

Originally posted by Chi Chi Rodriguez@Jan 18 2004, 09:23 PM

Be thankful microsoft doesn't charge for critical updates like apple...

We've had this argument before. Don't start it up again. Mac OS "updates" (10.2, 10.3 etc.) are different to Microsoft updates and service packs.

That's all there is to it.

• 2 weeks later...
;):rolleyes: critical updates are very important and necesary, the first thing after a clean windows install, drivers and an antivirus software are the windows patches. i uses the internet a lot, and when you do not have the updates for ie, the damn explorter get hijacked, and there is alot of malicious websites, arround that mess up your pc. the thing is i hope tha nthe next windows vesion come whit all those sevurity issues solved

I don't update Windows because of a couple of reasons. 56K! I will die! And also because of conditioning. I got a Windows Update and it didn't need to reboot, so I decided to instal PGP. Well, it crashed and my comp became a doorstop. So ever since then I have been afraid to touch either. I do update my NAV defs and scan regularly. I watch what I download and a Firewall. I have not been getting CU from Microsoft for the past 2 years, and have not been hit with anything, so until so, I am not going to waste my time downloading the 20mb of updates that they release (according the last time I checked which was like a year ago).