My Photos...

Too many people are running around these days with digital cameras, easily uploading pictures, knowing nothing about f-stop and speed and how real film works....

I guess its the future, although, pixel clarity will never surpass grain. Computer generated vs Nature, there is not battle there. Your pictures are sort of interesting but they dont really have anything special about them. The water drip one was OK but the tile in the background makes it look amaturish and takes away from the real subject, the drops and the water, as does everything else in the picture. The other pictures have been shot hundreds of times, not very original.

Originally posted by Emptyglass@Jan 2 2004, 11:44 PM

I think there pretty good for a first timer  (Y)

Thanks Emptyglass!

@juno: Like Emptyglass said, I don't think they're that bad for a beginner. Considering these are my very first photos and that I'm brand new to photography since Christmas, I'm not sure what's original and what's not. I'll hopefully get better with time.

Originally posted by DrEaMs In DiGiTaL@Jan 3 2004, 02:25 AM

Thanks Emptyglass! 

@juno:  Like Emptyglass said, I don't think they're that bad for a beginner.  Considering these are my very first photos and that I'm brand new to photography since Christmas, I'm not sure what's original and what's not.  I'll hopefully get better with time.

Yeah, you should take a class on photography. You will get to use some manual cameras and learn what its really about!

Juno,

I agree with you to a degree. I'm photographer, with a degree from an art school. The reason I chose art school over technical school, was because I didnt want to be bogged down with technical details that I already knew. I wanted to be free to formulate my own projects, and utilize the school for the art history that they offered. The thing I found most annoying was the other kids in the class completely disregarding any technical aspects of photography, and just focusing completely on composition. While this was fine for the pictures themselves, their darkroom skills and camera use skills just plain sucked.

This is sort of what is happening nowadays with the advent of the digital cameras. high qual pics are easily had by the novice now, and the web is being polluted with poorly composed, as well as poorly exposed pictures. Too many middle grays, and not enough contrast etc etc etc. Doesnt anyone use the zone system anymore???

Anyway, my point is that we were all budding photographers at one point, and the best lessons I ever learned were those harsh, brutal critiques I had of my work in school. Nothing forces you to be your best, and to print and shoot flawless pictures like being told that your stuff just plain sucks and reasons why it sucks, and ways to imrove my work.

Many students actually quit school because of the harsh critiques. My thought was that if my stuff was so great and there were no negative comments, then what the hell am I paying for school for.

So to all the budding photographers out there, dont get frustrated by people not liking your work, if they offer precise criticism, take it, dont be offended, and learn a valubale lesson.

To the person that started this thread, the pictures aren't too bad for a begginer. You have a decent eye for intersting subject matter, as well as composing your shots nicely. Keep up the good work.

If you want a more in depth critique of your work, feel free to PM me. I love shop talk.

First off, I want to say that I absolutely love the photographs. Excellent work, and I would love to see some of them made into walls.

For the ones who are posting saying that pictures like these are a dime a dozen, they have no technique, etc., etc. - so what? That is your opinion - which you are entitled to and I respect 100%.

To me, the person who has to go to school and get a degree in some form or fashion relating to anything in the art world isn't someone who was educated very well. As they saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The true artist, in whichever fashion, is the one that has it in him/her from the beginning without the aid of another.

There is no one certain way that things have to be done for it considered to be a good piece of work, and if you think that, then I pity you. It amazes me how people who are taught there there is only one way for things to be done can criticize the most, while the ones who don't have the 'formal' education can see the true meaning and work behind something.

I only took one art class in high school, and am preparing for many more since I will be majoring in art history, but I never felt justified for being graded on MY art. It's MINE, not YOURS.

I don't want to turn this into some large rant and rave, but people, think outside the box. (Gee, I feel like I'm having a movie moment.) There is more than just one way to do something.

Once again, I think the pictures are excellent, and the titles fit them well. Great work!

Originally posted by vagabondmuse@Jan 3 2004, 10:16 PM

First off, I want to say that I absolutely love the photographs.  Excellent work, and I would love to see some of them made into walls.

For the ones who are posting saying that pictures like these are a dime a dozen, they have no technique, etc., etc. - so what?  That is your opinion - which you are entitled to and I respect 100%.

To me, the person who has to go to school and get a degree in some form or fashion relating to anything in the art world isn't someone who was educated very well.  As they saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  The true artist, in whichever fashion, is the one that has it in him/her from the beginning without the aid of another. 

There is no one certain way that things have to be done for it considered to be a good piece of work, and if you think that, then I pity you.  It amazes me how people who are taught there there is only one way for things to be done can criticize the most, while the ones who don't have the 'formal' education can see the true meaning and work behind something.

I only took one art class in high school, and am preparing for many more since I will be majoring in art history, but I never felt justified for being graded on MY art.  It's MINE, not YOURS.

I don't want to turn this into some large rant and rave, but people, think outside the box.  (Gee, I feel like I'm having a movie moment.)  There is more than just one way to do something.

Once again, I think the pictures are excellent, and the titles fit them well.  Great work!

Thank you! Very nicely said. (Y)

gonaads from NTFS.org has made some wallpapers out of my photos. If you would like to see them, you can visit my website, http://www.DrEaMs-In-DiGiTaL.tk and click on the Wallpapers section. :)

I think its dispiseful that someone tries to shoot the wings of who could be a famous photographer in the future.

Really, critics are always good, sometimes needed, but please, people a little more subtleness in those 2 cents of yours ;)

Now... GROUP HUG! :orgy:

Originally posted by Photo678@Jan 3 2004, 07:55 PM

So to all the budding photographers out there, dont get frustrated by people not liking your work, if they offer precise criticism, take it, dont be offended, and learn a valubale lesson.

To the person that started this thread, the pictures aren't too bad for a begginer.  You have a decent eye for intersting subject matter, as well as composing your shots nicely.  Keep up the good work.

If you want a more in depth critique of your work, feel free to PM me.  I love shop talk.

ummm, yall need to simmer down and reread my post. I wasnt bashing anybody personally, i was just making a general comment.

@vagabond, its not very nice to take shots at people like that, and I'm sorry you feel that way about people that go to art school. I've seen the type before and argued the point many times. My reason for choosing art school, not that I feel the need to justify anything to you, was for the ability to be able to work on my own, and not be bogged down with projects. Grades did not exist at this school, my grades were my critiques. Critiques where artists from the globe were invited to sit in and give valuable information about the content and context of my work. And never were these critiques all praise. Students physically left the room in tears because of the harshness of these critiques. They werent being mean, but its the old saying, you have to learn from your mistakes. If you create art, you damn well better be ready to defend it. So that when someone questions your choice of color, or compostion, and answer like "I just did it because it looked good" will get you slaughtered with questions like, "why does it look good, because YOU think it looks good, nobody cares what you think, what are your reasons for showing something that looks good'

If you read my post you would have understood that. Breaks down like this, i pay for school, get unlimited access to darkrooms (color and black and white), studios, equipment, film, paper, brand new macs every semester, and professors that are all required to be practicing artists. Take all that, and mix in the fact that it is one of the last true museum schools in the US (in that the school is still physically connected to the museum) and what you get is a degree in art history that surpasses what masters students are getting. Having access to works up close and personal to actuallly see the brush strokes, and to smell the paint, is something that these great artists you speak of will never experience. My school of thought is that artists should know where the art world was, to appreciate where the art world is.

And nobody said anything about there only being one way of doing things. When it comes to photography however, there are certain things that need to be understood to make a print look its best. If you dont know how to take a black and white picture so that blacks look black and whites look white, then pictures look hokey and boring.

That website is a great idea, BUT, its just another way to screw artists. I looked and looked through the website and couldnt find answers to any of my questions.

Lets see how people feel about this scenario. Someone downloads my picture, I get paid ten cents, can this person then use my image for print? What rights do I retain to my works? Can whoever has downloaded my image use it for whatever they like.

You want to know what the answer to all of these questions are, YES. This is the way royalty free works, kids. Someone can buy my work for .20 cents, then use it in an ad that may generate 10's of thousands of dollars, guess how much you get, $.10, whooopty doooo

Yeah, but for amateur photography it's a great way to make a few quid. And, it's the perfect way to find images for your sites etc. Let's face it - noone will ever use any of my photos in a TV ad - they aren't good enough.

Cheer up mate!

Royalty free is perfect for designers who don't have much cash! (Y)