Sony Vaio Or Ibook?

:lol: hello Aqua-people !!

i have a little question:

What should i buy ??? >.< >.<

i have to choose betwen a Sony Vaio or an iBook!!

Sony vaio would be :

P4 2.4GHZ

512MB

15" XGA

40GB

DVD-CDRW

56K/NIC

XP Home

32mb Ati Radeon Vcard

1 FireWire

2 USB

(etc)

iBook would be:

14.1-inch TFT XGA display

933MHz PowerPC G4

256K L2 cache @933MHz

System bus @ 133MHz

256MB DDR SDRAM

40GB Ultra ATA drive

DVD-CDRW Combo Drive

ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 with 32MB dedicated video memory

10/100BASE-T Ethernet

Built-in 56K v.92 modem

1 FireWire 400

2 USB 12-Mbps 2.0 ports

AirPort Extreme capable

VGA and S-video out

5.9 pounds light

1.35 inch thin

Up to 6 hours battery life

Mac OS X v10.3 (Panther)

(blah blah)

I Love Mac's i've dream with have one since i saw the first but i need to buy a system where i can develop and find all the programs we need to do it ....

i have no idea of how many developing programs can be executed under Os X :(

THANK YOU FOR YOUR OPPINIO AND HAVE NICE HOLIDAYS : :moon:

hmmmmm,

The same thing goes through my head everyday, my problem though is that I do an engineering course which requires alot of windows (engineering) programs therefore getting an apple is not an option not within the next 6 months however like what most of the people hear would say, it depends on what you use your computer for !! :rolleyes:

Cheerz

:naughty:

Well I would get a pc because software is easy to find and is cheap, and a mac it's hard to find software. But macs are sweet looking, and are easy to keep from viruses. So either way they both have good qualities, or bad qualities.

If you are developing standard unix software in any of the following languages:

C,Python,Perl,Ruby,PHP etc... then Mac OS is perfectly fine as a development platform. If you are mainly developing for Java then I would definately recommend the iBook since Java support is much stronger in OS X than any other platform for a seamless user experience between Java apps and native Objective C apps.

However, if you are developing mainly in Visual Studio, get the Sony.

lmao, okay, this is one of those very funny situtations. i mean, i can understand the whole GUI emulation, but buying the actual hardware? are you nuts?! get the Vaio. why? because its a PC. that should be reason enough. im not intending to come across as an ass, however, the fact remains that Mac hardware just isnt "as good" i guess you could say as "normal" PC hardware.

my 2c :smartass:

Get the ibook buddy, with the new upgraded g4 processors the ibooks are a real competitor with any other PC machine. They can perform as well as any mid-range or even the lower end of the high range PC laptops. The g4 enables altivec so you can use applications to the fullest, and video rendering time is much faster as well. Plus I would say that becuase Apple releases their products with much greater time intervals than PCs, your ibook would have a longer usage life. ;);) Plus the ibook looks great!! :D:D And PCs suck.

Originally posted by nrzero@Dec 3 2003, 01:47 AM

Get the ibook buddy, with the new upgraded g4 processors the ibooks are a real competitor with any other PC machine. They can perform as well as any mid-range or even the lower end of the high range PC laptops. The g4 enables altivec so you can use applications to the fullest, and video rendering time is much faster as well. Plus I would say that becuase Apple releases their products with much greater time intervals than PCs, your ibook would have a longer usage life.  ;)  ;) Plus the ibook looks great!! :D  :D And PCs suck.

at the expense of turning this into a flame war :P, who payed you to say that ;) ? the G4 a competitor to a PC processor? meh, i think youre dreaming, haha. sure it LOOKS good, but why shell out more cash for eye candy if its still relatively slow compared to an equally priced PC? gah, ill back off from this because im already reaching for those G4s/ G5s-vs-the-pentiums-and-Athlon64s benchmarks...

Originally posted by nrzero@Dec 3 2003, 02:01 AM

Whatever I was half joking when I said "PCs suck". But the g4 works as well or even better than a p4 in a mac. Drop the subject anyway, mods will close the thread. That was just my advice to him...leave it at that.  ;)  ;)

of course it works better in a mac. it was designed for the mac.... im confused. :(

NO! iBook. Not while I'm here!!!

Wtf is wrong with you man, ibook's are cool!!! Portable macs, can you get any better than this. You can use the sexy OS in bed or whatever you want to do. Anyways I really don't like PC laptop's designs, they're not innovative and simple. Buy yourself an ibook Wizard and you'll see. ;);)

dont listen to ANYONE here. -_-

See, its like this. If you buy one instead of the other because of what someone says here, then whenever anything goes wrong with your computer, you'd blame that person for convincing you to buy it. And you'll always be very picky about even little things.

On the other hand, if you decide for yourself, you'll be satisfied with your purchase. And if something goes wrong with the computer, you wont feel 'wronged' and you wont regret not having listened to someone else's opinion.

yeesh.. I'm not making any sense am I? :blink:

Originally posted by nrzero@Dec 2 2003, 09:45 PM

Wtf is wrong with you man, ibook's are cool!!! Portable macs, can you get any better than this. You can use the sexy OS in bed or whatever you want to do. Anyways I really don't like PC laptop's designs, they're not innovative and simple. Buy yourself an ibook Wizard and you'll see.  ;)  ;)

Notice the punctuation...I'll split it up so you can see it better

NO! (refering to "okay guys back on subject! we can do it guys!!!" by bolero, the previous post in this thread)

iBook. (My input as in interjection)

Not while I'm here! (again refering to bolero's post)

"That's no Orc horn..." (my off-topic comment)

Originally posted by Taha@Dec 3 2003, 05:25 AM

dont listen to ANYONE here. -_-

See, its like this. If you buy one instead of the other because of what someone says here, then whenever anything goes wrong with your computer, you'd blame that person for convincing you to buy it. And you'll always be very picky about even little things.

On the other hand, if you decide for yourself, you'll be satisfied with your purchase. And if something goes wrong with the computer, you wont feel 'wronged' and you wont regret not having listened to someone else's opinion.

yeesh.. I'm not making any sense am I? :blink:

You are making sense, Taha.

The way I see it is the best way to "use" forums is to get other people's opinions, and put them into the context of what you want. If you want to do graphic design, for example, it's going to be absolutely useless to you if a programmer says "get the vaio and put linux on it. My linux'd vaio r0x0rs my c0d3s s0x0rs". If, however, a graphic designer whom you respect says something like "I have both, and I find x, y, and z better on iBook, but m, n , and o are better on the vaio...", then that's likely to be much more interesting to you.

The problem comes when people like me do things like this, and get responses like this. Now, the response doesn't bother me overmuch, I just don't really see the point.

The way I judge a system is not by it's raw power, but by what it does for my experience of the system. To whit, if an iBook is going to make your life easier because it has better [type x] apps, then go with that, and vice versa. Choose a platform based on what you want to do, not what you want to have.