Need The Names Of .cpl Files...

Hi,

Recently Lynchknot & myself have replaced some of the .cpl icons in System32 Directory so they have a better resolution in the Control Panel...

Some of the .cpl files (names) are easy to identify ie: access.cpl file (when replaced) will change the 'Accessibility Options' icon, but the others...well it's a guessing game.

We would like to know the 'names' of the following .cpl icon files, so that they can be replaced:

1. Folder Options

2. Printers and Faxes

3. Taskbar and Start Menu

If any member with knowledge of this, could kindly reply with the 'names' to be replaced, it would be greatly appreciated...

;)

Originally posted by gahbmwM5@Oct 26 2003, 02:10 PM

Hi,

Recently Lynchknot & myself have replaced some of the .cpl icons in System32 Directory so they have a better resolution...

Some of the .cpl files (names) are easy to identify ie: access.cpl file (when replaced) will change the 'Accessibility Options' icon, but the others...well it's a guessing game.

We would like to know the 'names' of the following .cpl icon files, so that they can be replaced:

1. Folder Options

2. Printers and Faxes

3. Quicktime

4. Taskbar and Start Menu

If any member with knowledge of this, could kindly reply with the 'names' to be replaced, it would be greatly appreciated...

;)

well, i don't know the exact names, too, but i would search for *.cpl in system32 and then open the files with reshacker and take a look at the icons in the files ;)

Originally posted by gahbmwM5@Oct 26 2003, 02:10 PM

Hi,

Recently Lynchknot & myself have replaced some of the .cpl icons in System32 Directory so they have a better resolution in the Control Panel...

1. Folder Options

2. Printers and Faxes

3. Taskbar and Start Menu

;)

There not in cpl. There in shell32.dll

Control panel items

Within Me/2k, some items are moved/copied (from My computer and elsewhere) to the control panel, and can be changed through the registry. Check for an underlying "DefaultIcon" key at the appropiate clsid at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\:

* Scanners and camera's: {E211B736-43FD-11D1-9EFB-0000F8757FCD}

* Folder options: {6DFD7C5C-2451-11d3-A299-00C04F8EF6AF} ****

* Dial-Up Networking: {992CFFA0-F557-101A-88EC-00DD010CCC48}

* Scheduled tasks: {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

* Taskbar and startmenu: {0DF44EAA-FF21-4412-828E-260A8728E7F1} ****

The above was quoted from the link @VirtualPlastic...It does get some what confusing, for they also mention that the 'Printer Icon' (not Printers and Faxes) is icon #300 in main.cpl, and they are the same for WinXP...

Lynchknot is already 'keyed up' on this stuff, and for me another valuable learning experience...

Thanks, StefanKa for your reply...

Well, I have just converted a 128 x 128 32-bit .png (Iceman Network Printer) icon to .ico file format via Icon Sushi, so I thought that I was all set to open up ResHacker, and let it do its thing...

Per VirtualPlastic Hack/Tutorial List, for ME/2k/XP, the 'Printer' in Control Panel is icon #300 in main.cpl...

Unfortunately when opeing up ResHacker and going to main.cpl, I get the following pop-up:

Unable To Read Resource Section

Dam, and I thought that I was on the road to utopia...Any suggestions...??

P.S. I do understand that ResHacker will on occasion display this meesage, but is there a workaround?

Per Stefanka's advice...I guess I will trying opening up shell32.dll (hacked one) if ResHacker allows it, and do some exploring... :rolleyes:

Well after opening up shell32.dll in ResHacker I was able to find 'one example of "Printers and Faxes" icon, but it only had:

16 x 16

32 x 32 I thought that this was the control panel icon, being it was missing some of the depth (48 x 48)...so I tried to replace it (lol-probably with the wrong colored depthed icon 128 x 128 .ico) and of course there was no change...

I can live with the 'Printers and Faxes' & 'Folder Options' icons, for they are a little light, but somewhat clear...but it would be nice to replace the "Taskbar and Start Menu' icon for it is very blurry...

I did find 'a example' of this icon in Icon Group #40 and it too only had 16 x 16 & 32 x 32 depths and was misssing the 48 x 48 one...so I will leave it at this...

Originally posted by gahbmwM5@Oct 28 2003, 07:21 AM

Well, I have just converted a 128 x 128 32-bit .png (Iceman Network Printer) icon to .ico file format via Icon Sushi, so I thought that I was all set to open up ResHacker, and let it do its thing...

Per VirtualPlastic Hack/Tutorial List, for ME/2k/XP, the 'Printer' in Control Panel is icon #300 in main.cpl...

Unfortunately when opeing up ResHacker and going to main.cpl, I get the following pop-up:

Unable To Read Resource Section

Dam, and I thought that I was on the road to utopia...Any suggestions...??

P.S. I do understand that ResHacker will on occasion display this meesage, but is there a workaround?

Per Stefanka's advice...I guess I will trying opening up shell32.dll (hacked one) if ResHacker allows it, and do some exploring...  :rolleyes:

Well after opening up shell32.dll in ResHacker I was able to find 'one example of "Printers and Faxes" icon, but it only had:

16 x 16

32 x 32    I thought that this was the control panel icon, being it was missing some of the depth (48 x 48)...so I tried to replace it (lol-probably with the wrong colored depthed icon 128 x 128 .ico) and of course there was no change...

I can live with the 'Printers and Faxes' & 'Folder Options' icons, for they are a little light, but somewhat clear...but it would be nice to replace the "Taskbar and Start Menu' icon for it is very blurry...

I did find 'a example' of this icon in Icon Group #40 and it too only had 16 x 16 & 32 x 32 depths and was misssing the 48 x 48 one...so I will leave it at this...

firstly, there is no patch to overcome that ResHacker problem, so unfortunately well have to find ways around it.

as for your attempt at Shell32, have u refreshed the icon cache? when i first started messing around with windows i ended up running around in circles because of this little detail.

and finally, i had a look and the icons your looking for are 38 and 138 (Printers And Faxes), 140, 169 and 311 (Network Printer), 40 (Taskbar and Start Menu) and 210 (Folder Options) in Shell32.dll.

and remember to rebuild that cache, otherwise your just waisting time.

Hope It Helps

-The Unknown

theunknown & StefanKa,

Hey guys thanks for your replies, maybe it's the 128 x 128 (32-bit) .ico icon that I'm trying to use to replave these resources mentioned above...I use TweakUI (latest ver) and always 'clear icon cache'...

I am converting a Iceman System Files 128 x 128 .png file (in this case, I'm using his 'network printer' to a 128 x 128 (32-bit) .ico file...and when I opened up shell32.dll in ResHacker, and then proceeded to replace Icon Group #38 (Printers and Faxes) resources with this converted Iceman .128 x 128 .ico file, and rebuilt my cache, I did not get any change...(I haven't tried to change Icon Group #138) yet...

Do I need a specific .ico icon to use to replace these 'control panel' icons successfully?

Must the replaced .ico file be say 16 x 16, 32 x 32, & 48 x48 , which would have all the colour depths ?

btw: Both of you guys just got your 'Respect' level increased by me...We all know that trying to find the right 'icon group' to replace resources in shell32.dll can be a exploring expedition... ;)

Originally posted by gahbmwM5@Oct 28 2003, 09:16 PM

theunknown & StefanKa,

Hey guys thanks for your replies, maybe it's the 128 x 128 (32-bit) .ico icon that I'm trying to use to replave these resources mentioned above...I use TweakUI (latest ver) and always 'clear icon cache'...

I am converting a Iceman System Files 128 x 128 .png file  (in this case, I'm using his 'network printer' to a 128 x 128 (32-bit) .ico file...and when I opened up shell32.dll in ResHacker, and then proceeded to replace Icon Group #38 (Printers and Faxes) resources with this converted Iceman .128 x 128 .ico file, and rebuilt my cache, I did not get any change...(I haven't tried to change Icon Group #138) yet...

Do I need a specific .ico icon to use to replace these 'control panel' icons successfully?

Must the replaced .ico file be say 16 x 16, 32 x 32, & 48 x48 , which would have all the colour depths ?

btw: Both of you guys just got your 'Respect' level increased by me...We all know that trying to find the right 'icon group' to replace resources in shell32.dll can be a exploring expedition...  ;)

as far as i know there are no restrictions on the Color depth or Icon Size. so give those other icons in shell32 a go and tell us how it went.

-The Unknown

Ok...that is what I thought, however being a 'lite' graphics user, I have Icon Sushi (Freeware) and have been trying all morning trying to figure out how to make my converted 128 x 128 (32-bit) .ico icon(s) into multiple images with all the colors and depths that you specified.

Dam, I have the exact matching .png icons from Iceman's System & Folder files, which I have already D/L about 6 months ago...

I now have the Icon Group #'s in shell32.dll...I have the perfect, exact matching .icos, but am stuck on making them into mutilple images/color/depths...

Oh well...thanks Stefanka, as I getting closer to having a perfectly crisp/clear matching Control Panel...lol!

EDIT***

Many thanks to our treasured 'Theme Genie of Firebird/Thunderbird, Lynchknot, for you my friend have now set me all up, and my Control Panel is now complete with 100% clear, crisp icons!!!

I am now seriously thinking about D/L the 30-day Trialware version of Icon Workshop, to see if I will have a 'need' for this app... ;)