Help Center For V5.6

Panta

Hello guys

Another problem occurred...as you can see, my iTunes icon disappears to make way for a separator, at every startup of my system...

And trash icon change all the time when I empty the recycle bin..

How can i fix it? thx

jbbxeol1vxeekh8agl-bug.png

Please sorry for my english :unsure:

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, can someone tell me how to add microsoft word excel and powerpoint onto the dock?

By browsing to their installation folder instead of their shortcuts when adding them.

Hello guys

Another problem occurred...as you can see, my iTunes icon disappears to make way for a separator, at every startup of my system...

And trash icon change all the time when I empty the recycle bin..

How can i fix it? thx

jbbxeol1vxeekh8agl-bug.png

Please sorry for my english :unsure:

Can you read some posts above yours? If that helps you, please let us know; otherwise wait for some other answers that might help you. :)

Edited by Panta

Sorry for the double-post but this entry must be done apart from the previous one... ;)

@aeonslayer, this is the best I could do for you.. http://www.aqua-soft.org/forum/index.php?s...mp;#entry522993

Does your system's characteristics match the description in that post?

Maybe XWD would behave better if it was installed to a folder, not program files,et al.

Can you elaborate a concise Q&A entry for this problem? It seems it'd be a good entry at our FAQ... ;)

Edited by Panta
By browsing to their installation folder instead of their shortcuts when adding them.

Can you read some posts above yours? If that helps you, please let us know; otherwise wait for some other answers that might help you. :)

How do i navigate to that folder? everytime i add word or any of them it just comes up as word icon and such

Seems like a great dock but im having alot of problems...

*When maximizng windows it comes up fine then the window flashes and then reappears..?

*I get this error sometimes when opening the program Access violation access module 004D98B18 'xwindowsdock.exe' read of address 00000010

*Cant seem to change the theme only default appears and im pretty sure i put everything in the right folder.

*Randomly when i put my mouse over the icons they wont pop up any more and when they are working it's not as smooth and as fast as Ive seen other peoples, maybe thats just in adjusting the settings i don't know, but yeah seems like a great dock idk what the problem is all other docks i haad beforee worked fiinee.

any help is appreciated.

@ Heatmaker:

I presume you are running Vista? If so, you seem to be having the exact same problem I did...

Solution is simple: just reinstall XWD IN YOUR DOCUMENTS FOLDER, or anywhere OTHER THAN PROGRAM FILES!

Then it will all work fine! :D (or at least, it did for me!)

I believe (just btw) that it seems to stem from the fact that Vista's program files uses a weird virtualised temp folder (C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files) for certain legacy (WinXP or earlier) programs.

The various .xml config files that XWD uses are located in BOTH the physical program files location where you installed it, as well as in this virtual version...

I think they have some trouble interacting with each other, and thus, the problems occur when they over-write each other.

...Well, that's my guess anyway!

The point is, just copy over the .xml files from the VIRTUAL program files folder (I think these are the "real" ones) to a backup location, as well as any skins, etc. Then delete both the virtual and physical folders where these have installed (there is no other way to uninstall them).

Then, during the installation, just choose C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\Documents\Dock (or something similar) and just install it in there, then copy back these backup files you have made.

BE FORE WARNED, the backup .xml files ONLY may not work, which would be you would have to re-reinstall it... although this was not the case for me!

Anyway, that should fix any problems you are having, and best of luck!

P.S. If you (for whatever reason) don't want to uninstall it, then just DON'T TOUCH the default dock layout. I.e. LEAVE MY COMPUTER, CONTROL PANEL, SPACER, and TRASH where they are!

You can put other things in between, just don't try to move any of these 4 things!

But why would you want to do that when you can FIX the problem!?

Anyway, is someone wants to condense all my ramblings into just the solution part and post it in your fixes topic, or w/e, please do so: will not troll these pages for much longer!

Good luck guys!

Without getting into any feverish debate here, I must say you're wrong! That's why we ask that a given topic be explained either by a seasoned user or a tech-savvy new one, after debating with the seasoned ones...

Working out of 'Program files' can succeed if the user chooses a directory to which UAC will allow writing files, plain and simple. :)

When using Vista, the best solution is disabling UAC!! ;) I did that beforehand. :P

BTW, the location you pointed holds outdated XML files in my case, from an earlier version of XWD, so no, it's not a viable solution for all cases...

More info about VirtualStore, for those interested: A Closer Look at Windows Vista, Part I: Security Changes

Edited by Panta

i noticed this particular problem was not posted in the FAQ, and please excuse me if I have missed a this same question here with an answer.

After arranging my icons on my dock, if I restart my computer, one icon or another will be replaced by another separator. If I remove the icon (separator)and restart my computer, yet another icon i have arranged will be turned to a separator. i don't know if anyone has come across this problem, but if you would like, i can post a screenshot. Thank for reviewing my problem.

i noticed this particular problem was not posted in the FAQ, and please excuse me if I have missed a this same question here with an answer.

After arranging my icons on my dock, if I restart my computer, one icon or another will be replaced by another separator. If I remove the icon (separator)and restart my computer, yet another icon i have arranged will be turned to a separator. i don't know if anyone has come across this problem, but if you would like, i can post a screenshot. Thank for reviewing my problem.

Can you post/attach your DockItems.xml file?

@newgriptape: if you take a look from post# 148 on at this very thread a problem like yours had been reported and the solution has been (apparently) found... although not clearly reported what the problem was, after all... :/

Oh there seems to be something wrong becaus I can see the dock underneath the window and according to the xml file, there should be a seperator between the dashboard icon and the mail icon.

This is my suggestion: shutdown XWD, backup your xml file, REMOVE the numbers I highlighted in the attached pic and restart XWD. Then you can try to add seperators where you want them and see what happens. Don't forget to backup because I'm not sure this will actually work.

EDIT: Ooops... I guess you guys answered while I was typing... sorry about that! I guess my solution is a convoluted way of getting around it :)

post-42458-1236034660_thumb.jpg

Edited by technosinner

Np. Btw, I think technosinner asked for your DockItems.xml file and not a screenshot of it... ;)

Edit: lol I was late too... :)

Edited by Panta

lol hey, as long as I can see bits of it, works for me........ sadly that's also what I say when I get intimate with the Mrs. :P

Ok ok, I know, off topic... bad technosinner!

However I'm curious of one thing in the xml; there is one line with the following:

"...sean\Contacts0\C:\Users..."

Is that 0 part of the shortcut or is it something XWD uses?? I can't figure it out...

...However I'm curious of one thing in the xml; there is one line with the following:

"...sean\Contacts0\C:\Users..."

Is that 0 part of the shortcut or is it something XWD uses?? I can't figure it out...

I'd rather seeing the .xml file before even trying to understand what that might be... ;)

offtopic: I like bytes - and bites! - more than bits... :P

Earlier I asked how to get usable Microsoft Office icons. I have tried everything I know, but it keeps coming as Wordicon or Powerpointicon... I saw something about browsing to the installation folder? If this is a good solution could someone please explain how i get to this folder??? Thanks :D

By Panta: triple-post removed! Please use the edit button... <_<

Edited by Panta
What do you mean?? Can't you navigate to the folder you installed Office to?

I know what you are talking about, I navigated to a folder called program data which is usually not able to be viewed, and so on and so fourth, I was in the folder that contained all of the office programs (not shortcuts.) The weird part is that when I navigate to this folder when browsing on the dock, and then add one of the office programs, it still comes up as "wordicon" or whatever else it is called. BTW I am using Vista service pack one not that it helps...

I've got the path to office as

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\winword.exe

The rest of the office suite is also in there.

Then all I do is rename the items in the dock. Tedious, but you only do it once.

Edit: this should be in the faq. I bet lots of people won't be able to get office icons working.

Edited by AndrewYY
I've got the path to office as

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\winword.exe

The rest of the office suite is also in there.

Then all I do is rename the items in the dock. Tedious, but you only do it once.

Edit: this should be in the faq. I bet lots of people won't be able to get office icons working.

Thank you! That worked perfectly! Your right this should be in the F.A.Q.