Help Center For V5.6

Panta

@Adny,

I'm not sure if I understand what you are asking.

Are you asking: How do I have a stack that, when inactive (sitting in the dock,) only shows a dock icon rather than the collection of icons within the stack?

If that is your question, then currently I do not think that is possible. If you do not find an option for this in the settings of XWD, then I suggest you post this option in the feature request section.

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey ppl, I just formated my pc and reinstalled XWD 5.6, everything is fine but it seem that I can´t change icons caption in the dock...

I searched the forums, but I believe Im the first one with this prob...

Any advice??

Thanx in advance!

Hi,

I have this problem when i start up XWindows Dock, a little window pops up saying: Access violation at address 004DEA53 in module 'XWindowsDock.exe'. Read of address FFFFFFFF (it did originally say something like 'Read of address 00000010.' at the end)

i have noticed that some people have already asked for help with this problem and all they have had back as a reply was 'use the search' and 'search is your friend' giving many people not much help, especially me seeing as i have searched and found nothing. So could someone please give me a solution to this problem :) - i don't think i can last any longer without this wonderful Application! :D

Thank You! :D

@heatmaker,

An example of when that would happen (missing item in the dock,) for instance would be if you added a shortcut to the dock which points to something like:

• a folder/app which is no longer accessible, when the dock was launched. Think USB Thumbdrive folder, where the Thumbddrive is now removed.
  • (not confirmed) a network folder while that network location is no longer accessible.
  • (not confirmed) something that was deleted from your system, but the dock still has a shortcut to.
  • The PNG image used with the dock shortcut, (which is now missing,) is no longer accessible to XWD. (for instance, the PNG location on your HD was moved or deleted.)

The above describes scenarios for what you are experiencing (but might not be inclusive of what your problem is.)

I believe BurntAsafoetida gave you a good solution for fixing the issue. Just make sure you backup that file before editing.

Also, another fix would be to simply plug in the External HD or network location, or restore the shortcut's assigned PNG file to it's original location, etc. your dock item will reappear, then you'll have the option to remove the dock item while you have access to it. ;)

Goodluck. also, it would be nice if once you've figured out the solution, to return here and post your findings.

@heatmaker: another likely situation is when the PNG icon you were using can't be found at the moment (this is even more frequent than the other possibilities mentioned above - a search will show it); you'll easily spot if this is the case if you look inside 'DockItems.xml' as already mentioned.

Take all possibilities into account. :)

@ Panta, I've updated my above post to include your scenario. If not already there, I think this issue would be a good candidate to add to that FAQ thread :)
Yes, sure! But please, be my guest, as I'm almost giving up of that idea due to lack of collaboration (I won't publish a new pinned thread with only 2 or 3 items and call it a FAQ...) wink.gif
how make that he will be display only stack icons

I was wondering the same thing... sort of.

Adny, if you have a stack icon that actually covers the entirety of the icon size in your dock (e.g. 64 px in mine) then you'll hide the underlying icons. But I haven't found a better way... It should be a feature request if it's not there yet (I haven't looked).

post-42458-1235697716_thumb.jpg

Edited by technosinner
Adny, if you have a stack icon that actually covers the entirety of the icon size in your dock (e.g. 64 px in mine) then you'll hide the underlying icons. But I haven't found a better way... It should be a feature request if it's not there yet (I haven't looked).

Something tells me that's not going to go over too well in the consistency dept. with his theme

But then again.. if using a black background, could be 'faked' by filling in the png. wouldn't look too good when a window goes behind the dock though

Hey all, I'm new here / to this program (just used it today, and I totally love it!!)

Anyway, I am running Windows 7 Build 7000, and I'm just gonna assume that this program is simply not stable within Vista/7?

My layout WAS:

Comp link | Spacer | Places Stack (custom) | Application Stack (custom) | Office Stack (custom) | Adobe Stack (Custom) | Spacer | Downloads Stack (folder) | Trash

It works fine until it is closed / restarted (including with a system reboot)...

Then, the icon to the right of the first spacer turns into a spacer icon, and can be right clicked but not left clicked, nor reverted back into the original icon... Furthermore, to the right of that, a new trash link is placed...

As I restarted it several times, this always happens to whatever icon is to the right of the first spacer!!

I have no idea if this is just a Win7 problem (most apps work the same as on vista, so I'd imagine this would happen on Vista machines as well)...

Either way, any help would be majorly appreciated, as this seems to be the Win dock to end all Win dock's!

EDIT: A thought... is this possibly because I have inserted more than 1 spacer? Or because I have deleted the control panel link? Because when I do not alter these things, it seems to work...

Edited by aeonslayer

Ok... so i'm guessing no one can be bothered to even just send me a link to a post which explains to me how to fix this error message i have?

@Panta... i have noticed that every time someone has sent a post in this topic asking for help with this same problem, you have given no help, all you seem to have done is told everyone to search the answer or to read through this very topic. i have search for the answer and all i found was a similar error message (same error but different codes) but for XWindows Dock 5.2, i have also spent the past hour and a half reading through this topic and there is nothing that could really be classified as help towards this error, so please... what do i do? what is it that has gone wrong? !

... sorry if i have come across badly, i find it hard to control my anger a lot of the time :(

oh yeah and my name is now SmithyTM155 ... my other account, Smithy155 will not allow me to log in

Ok... so i'm guessing no one can be bothered to even just send me a link to a post which explains to me how to fix this error message i have?

... sorry if i have come across badly, i find it hard to control my anger a lot of the time :(

Are you demanding that someone else search for you? Take you by hand? Demanding?? rolleyes.gif

Well, this (self-control) is certainly a problem you won't find help for solving over here, right? Hold your horses and you can have a better chance of being helped with the other one... eventually. dry.gif

@Panta... i have noticed that every time someone has sent a post in this topic asking for help with this same problem, you have given no help, all you seem to have done is told everyone to search the answer or to read through this very topic. i have search for the answer and all i found was a similar error message (same error but different codes) but for XWindows Dock 5.2, i have also spent the past hour and a half reading through this topic and there is nothing that could really be classified as help towards this error, so please... what do i do? what is it that has gone wrong? !

No, that's not true! I have said - more than once - that I have faced this problem myself sometimes; if this happens but one can still run XWD after clicking OK, then move on; otherwise there's no real solution for it that we, users, know... so stop demanding and just realize that if no one - specially the developer - has given a clear answer to this problem, it might just be that there's none for the time being! angry.gif

oh yeah and my name is now SmithyTM155 ... my other account, Smithy155 will not allow me to log in

Have you asked help from a global moderator or administrator for dealing with it? ... just asking...

Last but not least:

1. We are all volunteers, including the developer; just keep this in mind... ;)

2. Read the site guidelines and thus avoid having your posts deleted from now on!