Help Center For V5.6

Panta

btb42693, I thank you for your answers!

Do you perhaps know the solution to this:

EDIT: While adding SHUTDOWN/RESTART/LOG OFF/STANDBY shortcuts I've noticed that it's possible to differentiate only STANDBY, while others always get the same icon (because they run same program, shutdown.exe). How would you solve this? :(

One more thing, some shortcuts just flash for a while (usually cmd (command panel in Windows XP shows up for a brief second) and (1) nothing happens OR a (2) Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error occurs. In both cases, (1) and (2), shortcut works fine when run directly (ie. without XWindows Dock in the middle).

Edited by forumito
  • Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: While adding SHUTDOWN/RESTART/LOG OFF/STANDBY shortcuts I've noticed that it's possible to differentiate only STANDBY, while others always get the same icon (because they run same program, shutdown.exe). How would you solve this?

Right click on each one, and change the icons individually. Download some .png files or something.

Use basic troubleshooting rules, as this will tell us more about what you've tried and haven't tried.

1) Use a registry cleaner/junk cleaner such CCleaner to fix registry errors. (Pinkflamingo is right on it! =] )

2) Some programs running while the dock is running (i.e. AveDesk) can cause the magnification to not work. In that case, do not run the programs along each other.

3) Untick the magnification in the settings menu and retick it. Sometimes that helps.

4) Reinstall the program by deleting the C:\Program Files\XWindowsDock folder (or wherever the program is on your hard drive) and re-download the program and reinstall.

If none of those steps help, it may be your graphics card or antivirus you have running. You haven't specified your system specs, so we can't do much to help you.

Hopefully that will help. If not, report back.

I did what you said with CCleaner, and its working fine with no problems at the moment! I also unticked magnification for good, just to be sure, I can work without it. THANKS! :D

I tried CCleaner, and XWindows Dock actually opened!

...but it was still using 50% of my processor. I closed it and opened it back thinking that may help, but once again the dock refused to open. I tried uninstalling and using CCleaner again then reinstalling, no go. I then just sat there for about 10 minutes closing the process thru task manager and reopening the dock hoping it would show up...

I doubt its my system... some of its dated but still runs the latest games.

System Specs:

Processor- Pentium 4 3.2GHz (with hyper-threading)

OS- Windows XP media center edition SP2

Ram- 2.5 gigs

Graphics card- Nvidia 8600 GT

Some shortcuts just flash for a while (usually cmd (command panel in Windows XP shows up for a brief second) and (1) nothing happens OR a (2) Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error occurs. In both cases, (1) and (2), shortcut works fine when run directly (ie. without XWindows Dock in the middle).

Right click on each one, and change the icons individually. Download some .png files or something.

They all point to the same target (C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe)! Only arguments (-s, -r, etc.) are different.

EDIT: The more I use this dock, the more I miss the lock feature. :(

Edited by forumito

Hey everyone ! firs time posting on this site :)

just want to say that Xwindows Dock is the coolest dock i have used! (and i have used just about every one of them, except that pie dock thing) love it so much that i would definitly give my $20 to Boboah (i think thats it) than the people over at stardock :)

However u am still using rocket dock insted of XWD for two reasons...

1.XWD dose minimize windows to the dock nicely :) however if i have an application open with two windows (ie. Safari and the Safari downloads window) and just want to minimize one of them (just the Safari download window) it automaticly send both to the dock... witch can be very annoying.

2.I am only 20 and i use Windows live messenger all the time. but if i minimize my chat window to XWD it wont tell me when i have a new message or bounce up and down or anything :( that along with the fact that it minimizes all windows of the application at once would mean that trying to use messenger with XWD would be a nightmare :o so for now it is the only excluded program on the dock.

it may just be my computer doing what vista likes to do and not function properly... or is this something that happens to everyone ? Any help to overcome these problems would be super :D

PS. u can head over to http://lukeedee.deviantart.com/gallery/ to see my desktop if you are interested :)

By Panta: merged. No reason for a new topic.

Edited by Panta
comment added

i managed to do that :) msn dose not minimize to XWdock anymore, its left on the taskbar like normal. but the minimizing all the windows at once problem is still there. but as a designer i like things that work perfectly... so i guess i can go abit over the top when looking for flaws in something. and as i said i do use rocketdock ... however depending on my mood i often change back to XWD :) so i have not stopped using it all together :)

it wont let me download it it says

Failed to Connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at nemecsx.narod.ru.

also tried it on i.e

could u upload it to a different website

get it there:

Link removed! Original link still working, as always...

MediaFire link, used Lix.in just for fun.

By Panta: please don't supply alternate links without authorization from the author. Thanks.

Edited by Panta
  • 2 weeks later...

can't make it work properly in windows 2003 server... the magnifying is not working and the caption of the icons as well... works perfect in win 7 instead... can I do something to make it work in my windows 2003 server?

also a strange issue that I've encountered in windows 2003 server is that emoticons in yahoo messenger are not animated... can these 2 problems have a root cause?

thanks in advanced!

Hi all,

For those having trouble with Windows 7, I did what someone here suggested and shifted the XWD folder from the programme files folder to documents folder, and so far it's working.

I have just installed windows 7, and almost uninstalled it for the grief it gave me with this dock. I had similar problems to others, when I would restart the computer or dock, docklets would be replaced with dividers (divider still had label showing as the original docklet label name when I hovered over them). It also started adding a trash docklet to the dock randomly, I hadn't put one on there. Stuff was disappearing

al over the place.

Crossing my fingers that it stays fixed.

Ironically, today I set the Opacity of the dock to 0, and now I can't see it nor right click on the dock to go to the Preference :(

Need help.

You should be able to right-click on an icon to go to Preferences?

May be I'm posting it in the wrong thread but I just figured out what else can be the reason for the problem (for Windows 7 users) described in F.A.Q as:

Q: I can't get magnification to work and/or labels to show. What gives?

A: Please ensure there are no applications currently running that might interfere with XWD. Among these, AveDesk 1.4 and some antispyware applications have been known to interfere with the dock's proper functionning.

That's the feature of windows to change wallpapers automatically, if you disable it XWD starts working just like it should.

Just wondering, is it possible to make the XWindows Dock move up slightly, or go to the top of my screen, without reserving space for it? Sorry for such stupid questions, but I have a RocketDock as well, which is at the bottom of my screen (just above my Taskbar).

I would like to run a second, additional dock, and the XWindows Dock seems perfect for me. I don't want to move my taskbar, and I don't want the dock to reserve space for itself. I know this is a lot to ask, but is it possible?

Thanks for any help.

hello! i have copied the xwindowdock directory before formatting. now, after reinstall every program linked from the dock, i can start the dock and use it but:

it doesn't show up if i choose to hidden it

it doesn't zoom the icons on mouseover

i cant rearrange the order of the icons by moving it along the dock

i tried to activate and deactivate the options but there is nothing to do :\. i don't care to reinstall the dock, what i care is to backup the icons list.

any ideas?

By Panta: moved. Please, ask for help at the HELP THREAD.

Edited by Panta

Hello,

after adding Control panel, Trash, XDigiClock and XTray I'm getting "Access violation error: [...] at address 00000010."

I'm suspecting something is running as double instance? Or what could be the problem (I've already looked at first thread that came up via Google (it was this site :) ))?

Also searched the forums and found a suggestion to "rename three .ini files" [link to post on this forum], BUT there are only 2 .ini files in XWindows dock installation folder (namely, _Def.ini (twice) and settings.ini (three times)). :huh:

I'm using Windows 7 and I was about to post errors I had with both XTray and XTasks.

Concerning XTasks: I had the following error: Access violation at address 004E12B5 in module 'XWindowsDock.exe'. Read of address 6172679B.

The only thing I did was reinstalling the folder in My Documents. But it didn't seem to have any effect. I don't know what I did after that (nothing afaik), but it works great now.

Concerning XTray: it expands in a list of only 5 items without icons and the name labels have names in them with "???". Just a screenshot to explain:

bugxtrays.png

How can I solve this? Is there anything I can do to help the creator with debugging or anything that helps?

I just want to get rid of the windows taskbar entirely but I don't want to lose a 'place' where I can see my currently active windows and tray icons. Unfortunately TrayStack and TaskStack from ChrisnSoft output completly empty menu's.