Help Center For V5.6

Panta

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a problem with XWindows Dock v5.6...

I download it and install it just fine, but when I try to run it, nothing appears to happen. I press Ctrl+Alt+Del and look at the processes and I see XWindows Dock running and eating 50% processor.

I don't get an error message, and if not for the process list, I wouldn't even know it was running...

I'm using XP btw; anyone know what may be wrong?

@Fapasv & KuhlAidmann,

Everybody is having this common problem. There are several *temporary* workarounds noted in previous posts made by me and several others such as AndrewYY. Just look for the posts in a page or two or three back. Also, consult the FAQ's, as this might help any other questions you may have: http://www.aqua-soft.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=51531 . If the dock says there is an error, click the "restart" button each time it comes up. The dock should eventually come up. If there is no error and the program is shown in the Task Manager and not showing on the desktop, click the process in Task Manager and click the button "end task" or "end process". Then manually launch the dock and it should come up.

I've already checked the FAQ, that was the first place I looked.

I also read back a few pages in the form but did not see the post you were referring to, I saw post of people with issues of loading on start-up. I'm having an issue loading the program at all.

I have done as you suggested and clicked End process in the task manager and tried opening it again, I have tried this numerous times.

So, to recap my issue, I install XWD, click to run it, and nothing happens. no error message, no dock...

but task manager shows it working and using 50% of my processor.

This topic is not intended for submitting a bug.

I've been using this dock since a month ago but recently I've been facing this constant error when running the dock, it might be when starting up Windows or just restarting the dock.

bugb.png

If choose Continue it'll 'run' the dock but it won't be visible instead there's this gap between my taskbar and the window. [As shown below]

97200954048pm.png

My only solution is to re-install the dock and erase the XWindows Dock folder found in Program Files. I thought at first the error could caused by a skin I had by default but that's not reason.

Now, I can't have the magnify effect nor the labels show up when hovering the items/icons with mouse. I DID read the FAQ about the XWindows Dock but I don't use AveDesk and my antivirus is not even running at this time.

I can't even move around the icons among them.

I would really want a solution for all my problems I'm submitting :(! 'cause I think this is an amazing dock, I've used RocketDock, RK Launcher but none of them have satified my needs. So, hopefully someone will be able to tell the solution. :D

Thanks!

My dock settings are attached to this topic if someone needs to see them.

By Panta: merged. No need for a new help thread.

Settings.xml

Edited by Panta

hi everyone :-)

my problem is that i can't get my xwindowsdock to the top of my desktop. there is only the option to get my dock 300 pixel from the bottom of my desktop. maybe someone of you can help me. i appreciate any of your help. and excuse me for my bad english, i tried my best ;-)

AtzeJope

How do you make a backup (of settings, stack folders, their icons, etc.)? Which files from main folder are needed to make a complete backup (from which you can restore later in case of any failure)?

Thanks.

EDIT:Alright, got it (apologize for not using search with topics only). :)

Another question(s):

• How do you make panel and icons more reflective?
  • And where can I find add-ons (skins, effects, etc.)?
  • Can you remove Open folder shortcut?
  • Why stack doesn't lose focus when mouse moves away (I do have "Hide stack when losing focus" checked)?

Edited by forumito

Ok, I'm sorry if I sound pissy, but for the past 6 months I have looked for and tried virtually every windows xp dock program out there, looking for a replacement for my object dock that randomly stopped working. Not a single dock has met my basic 3 requirements;

1.) does not glitch up or interfere with games.

2.) allows me to hide my desktop icons and access the short cuts through the dock in an organized way.

3.) doesn't pop up above windows or refuse to come back out when needed.

This dock looks like it can, but I cant even get it to show up.

I searched every where before finally signing up at this forum looking for help in this issue. If no one can help, let me know, and I can just say "screw all windows docks."

This forum, really is my last shot, not just at getting this program to work, but at getting ANY form of dock program to work.

Why do you want to run a dock with a game o_O. Rocketdock has a neat feature where you can use ctrl+alt+r to hide it that way, it won't ever interfere, even if a game misbehaves.

In that sense, 1 and 3 will work. As for hiding your desktop icons, just kill explorer.exe :) (only kidding) There are other apps that will hide your desktop icons. I don't see why a dock has to do that.

If nothing does work, contact object dock's tech support. I'm sure they can fix your problem for you.

@forumito:

How do you make panel and icons more reflective?
Turn up the transparency of the reflection
And where can I find add-ons (skins, effects, etc.)?
the other topics in this forum
Can you remove Open folder shortcut?
no. However, if you don't plan on changing the folder that you're making a stack of, just drag it onto the dock, and it will create an in-dock stack without the open shortcut.
Why stack doesn't lose focus when mouse moves away (I do have "Hide stack when losing focus" checked)?
Sorry, don't know. Edited by AndrewYY

Thank you for the response...

I have tried rocket dock, it was nice but didn't help with point 2, which, I need to clarify a little, I guess.

I mean I'm looking for a dock I can drag all my desktop icons onto, without just having a cluttered dock, (using tabs or groups of some sort to organize them) hiding the icons is a simple matter of right clicking the desktop and unchecking "show desktop items."

And to elaborate on "not interfering with games," I had to stop suing object dock because it would blink through some games and cause lagging and crashes, and in other games, object dock would crash after starting the game... and since I'm looking for a dock that will replace my desktop icons.... this was not acceptable.

Anyway, mid way through writing I opened rocketdock back up and found I can add file paths, and not just files. So I guess I can organize my desktop icons into folders and add those folders to the dock. but this is a temporary fix, XWindows Dock looks way more useful, hopefully a solution to my problem can be found.

Can you remove Open folder shortcut?

no. However, if you don't plan on changing the folder that you're making a stack of, just drag it onto the dock, and it will create an in-dock stack without the open shortcut.

Just tried with Drag'n'Drop, sadly it remains with "Open" shortcut. Any other idea?

Few more questions:

• How do you lock the panel?
  • What does the checked Monitoring option do?
  • How do you permanently hide Windows Taskbar? (Yes, I've tried google. I also have a simple script left over from RocketDock which does it (Show/Hide Toolbar) ... BUT even putting it into startup folder doesn't do the trick.)
  • Does TrayStack (for showing system tray) work fine with XWindows dock? If not, what are alternatives?

Edited by forumito
I was wondering on XWindows Dock v5.6 if there is any possible way of getting it off center. Can it be moved to the right or left?

I searched all over "Preferences" and saw no such option. Though it sure can be done some other way that I don't know.

Repeating my previous question:

How do you lock the panel?

This is an essential feature, don't you think? So, where is it? :huh:

EDIT: While adding SHUTDOWN/RESTART/LOG OFF/STANDBY shortcuts I've noticed that it's possible to differentiate only STANDBY, while others always get the same icon (because they run same program, shutdown.exe). How would you solve this? :(

Edited by forumito
Just tried with Drag'n'Drop, sadly it remains with "Open" shortcut. Any other idea?

Few more questions:

• How do you lock the panel?
  • What does the checked Monitoring option do?
  • How do you permanently hide Windows Taskbar? (Yes, I've tried google. I also have a simple script left over from RocketDock which does it (Show/Hide Toolbar) ... BUT even putting it into startup folder doesn't do the trick.)
  • Does TrayStack (for showing system tray) work fine with XWindows dock? If not, what are alternatives?

1) You can't lock the panel. It is a feature I would like to see as well, but it probably won't be implemented anytime soon.

2) monitoring means that the program will notify you (the icon jumps up and down once) when you add/delete/change something in that icon's folder.

3) the dock does not provide a way to hide the taskbar. You will need to use another program (I.e. Stardock's Objectbar)

4) there is a docklet that displays the tray icons in the "Docklets" thread in this forum. It will work fine with XWD (except on Windows 7, from my experience).

5) No, you cannot move the dock left or right or above the middle of the screen.

Edited by btb42693
I'm using XWindows Dock v5.6 and wonder why magnification doesn't work anymore if I turned it on.

Thank you!

I forgot to mention that it happened after having chosen a 2D skin, but now it even doesn't work with 3D ones.

And yes, the magnify option is always checked!

Edited by yamimi
I forgot to mention that it happened after having chosen a 2D skin, but now it even doesn't work with 3D ones.

And yes, the magnify option is always checked!

Use basic troubleshooting rules, as this will tell us more about what you've tried and haven't tried.

1) Use a registry cleaner/junk cleaner such CCleaner to fix registry errors. (Pinkflamingo is right on it! =] )

2) Some programs running while the dock is running (i.e. AveDesk) can cause the magnification to not work. In that case, do not run the programs along each other.

3) Untick the magnification in the settings menu and retick it. Sometimes that helps.

4) Reinstall the program by deleting the C:\Program Files\XWindowsDock folder (or wherever the program is on your hard drive) and re-download the program and reinstall.

If none of those steps help, it may be your graphics card or antivirus you have running. You haven't specified your system specs, so we can't do much to help you.

Hopefully that will help. If not, report back.