Help Center For V5.6

Panta

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried that a while back. My verdict was no. XWD didn't save the icons in the stack when you restarted it. I'm sure it's possible to get around it, but not without some work.

hey guys I found out now to add "My Computer" and a whole lot of system folders into the dock, it's quite simple actualy:

1) Add a file into the dock, any file is OK, it's not important

2) Edit that file's icon you just added and copy one of these CLSID strings to its Target field to point it to whenever you want:

::{d20ea4e1-3957-11d2-a40b-0c5020524153} Administrative Tools

::{21ec2o2o-3aea-1o69-a2dd-08002b30309d} Control Panel

::{d20ea4e1-3957-11d2-a40b-0c5020524152} Fonts

::{ff393560-c2a7-11cf-bff4-444553540000} History

::{00020d75-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} Inbox

::{00028b00-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} Microsoft Network

::{20d04fe0-3aea-1069-a2d8-08002b30309d} My Computer

::{450d8fba-ad25-11d0-98a8-0800361b1103} My Documents

::{208d2c60-3aea-1069-a2d7-08002b30309d} My Network Places

::{1f4de370-d627-11d1-ba4f-00a0c91eedba} Network Computers

::{7007acc7-3202-11d1-aad2-00805fc1270e} Network Connections

::{2227a280-3aea-1069-a2de-08002b30309d} Printers and Faxes

::{7be9d83c-a729-4d97-b5a7-1b7313c39e0a} Programs Folder

::{645ff040-5081-101b-9f08-00aa002f954e} Recycle Bin

::{48e7caab-b918-4e58-a94d-505519c795dc} Start Menu Folder

tell me if it works for u too

how to change position of dock on top of screen? :wacko:
You can't at the moment, and it doesn't look like you will be able to do so anytime soon, seeing as the developer's now busy with other matters.

If it is imperative for you to use the dock at the top of the screen, You'll have to switch to another dock program, like ObjectDock, RocketDdock, and RK Launcher, to name a few.

Also, please, use the search function at the top right corner of the screen (it looks like a magnifying glass) before asking questions. Your particular question has been asked many, many times before.

Edited by AndrewYY

There's an error that I can't fix. There's an extra space in my dock and I can't delete it. I tried the drag and drop and right click but nothing would work. Does that mean I have to uninstall and download the whole thing again?

w191010686.gif

Edited by kammy147

When that happens, go to DockItems.xml in the XWD folder, open it in notepad and search for "gimp-2.6", and change the part in <cmd>__</cmd> to a directory or any other real file anywhere in your pc. Restart the dock, and then drag it out or do whatever you'd like with it. :)

@Kammy,

I had this problem too. Did you follow the instructions and try victorng's instructions to add My Computer to your dock? Because I tried that, and ended up with an empty icon/space that I couldn't get rid of either. This seems to happen with an icon that points to something that doesn't exist. Thanks for the solution yorkey :)

::{d20ea4e1-3957-11d2-a40b-0c5020524153} Administrative Tools

[snip]

::{48e7caab-b918-4e58-a94d-505519c795dc} Start Menu Folder

tell me if it works for u too

Panta listed them in an old thread before. Here are the ones he had that you missed:

• ::{85BBD920-42A0-1069-A2E4-08002B30309D} Briefcase
  • ::{E211B736-43FD-11D1-9EFB-0000F8757FCD} Scanners and Cameras
  • ::{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} Scheduled Tasks
  • ::{7BD29E00-76C1-11CF-9DD0-00A0C9034933} Temporary Internet Files
  • ::{BDEADF00-C265-11d0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F} Web Folders

hello im a new user, and i seem to be having some issues with xwindows dock 5.6. upon startup of the program, i get a bug report, followed by my dock being loaded. this is not a problem, but when the program has loaded several of my stacks are duplicated, separators are placed every where and the control panel launcher and trash are created. after each load i delte all of the unwanted stacks and etc. but as soon as i load again they are back in greater number.

please help me

thanks casey

Moved to a more appropriate area - mps69

What version of XWindowsDock do you have? If you have version 5.6 follow these instructions: Copy your .smxd file and go to C:\Program Files\XWindowsDock\Tools, and paste in your smxd file there. Double click on Repacker.exe, and this will create a .xwd file.

You should put it in C:\Program Files\XWindowsDock\Skins, open XWindowsDock, right click on an icon and go to Preferences. Click on Panel on the left, press the refresh button and choose your skin from the list.

If you don't have version 5.6, just do the last bit and take your .smxd file to ...\XWindowsDock\Skins.

Edited by yorkey

From the help thread:

I have a similar issue using Windows7. I think it has to do with the program's ability to access and write back to it's settings xml file(s.)

With Windows7, I install XWD (with right click "as administrator")

Then, if I launch the program either by:

1. Launching the program without administrator rights (simply double clicking the icon)
  2. Launching the program as administrator

both give the dock different issues:

1. one way results in 'your' problem which is duplicate entries in the dock (double separators, 2 recycle bins, redundant stacks, etc.) and when you delete them to try to set the dock back correctly, the duplicate dock items return upon next reboot.
  2. the other way results in a dock that saves your dock items properly, however you cannot drag and drop items onto the dock. (I end up just manually building the dock by right-clicking-add, etc.)

If anyone can provide any tips in running the dock (v5.6) successfully, please share ;)

I think that's what you're looking for ;)

Edited by AndrewYY
hey guyz..hve u try add objectbar and xwindows dock 5.6 in startup? pls let me knw wht happen to ur dock..tnx

i need some help on this..

you know what mate , i tried xwindows dock and objectbar , but not at the startup cauz it bug a little bit your pc ( i have vista ultimate), and i'ts work fine ,

well xwindows dock is awesome ,not much better than rklauncher but i still like rklauncher , i'ts my favorite ,

i hope that in the next version of rklauncher , they wil made a true genie effect maximize and minimize effect , stack as gallery , and other stuff , resizing ect ect ...

if you have any question i'm here :D

Mega font and colour wasn't really required - mps69 ;)

A few days ago, I installed XWD on my 32-bit Windows 7 (Build 7000) laptop. I added all the shortcuts I needed and tweaked the settings to my liking. However, after I quit the program and ran it again, some of my shortcuts were completely gone, and some of the ones still there were seen as stacks containing nothing. So, I put in all my shortcuts again, and only some of them disappeared when I ran XWD the next time.

Eventually, they were all there every time I ran XWD. However, I recently noticed that none of the labels ever show up anymore, and I also can't move the icons at all (they are locked in their positions). I did not change any settings at all prior to noticing this. I tried reinstalling (after deleting the "XWindows Dock" folder; somewhat weird that it's not considered a program by my uninstaller) two times, but each time the icons were locked and no labels show up. Am I missing something? Is it Windows 7 that's not letting it work correctly?

Also, even though I checked the option to start up with Windows, it never did. I would wait a few whole minutes after all other programs and functions loaded, but there was still no sign of XWD. I don't know what's up with that, either.

legr8est, the question has been asked multiple times, and answered multiple times as well. Here's a solution that was apparently found a few pages back in this thread.

http://www.aqua-soft.org/forum/index.php?s...mp;#entry522993

Maybe I'm just blind, but I've just read that whole page and the next, and I don't see a solution to the problem (plus, no one seems to have the same problem: items locked, labels invisible). If the solution is doing a clean install, I have already done that (if "clean install" means deleting the XWD folder and going through the set-up again).

on post #36, firecracker6 describes your problem and his apparent solution.

I don't think there's a perfect solution for this bug though, just a few workarounds. Try installing XWD as admin, and running as admin. Add icons using the right click menu.

Edited by AndrewYY
on post #36, firecracker6 describes your problem and his apparent solution.

I don't think there's a perfect solution for this bug though, just a few workarounds. Try installing XWD as admin, and running as admin. Add icons using the right click menu.

I just reinstalled XWD as admin and ran it as admin. Yet, even with the default icons, no labels show up at all and I cannot move the icons around at all. I would just give up on this if I didn't know that it wasn't always like this. I don't know what's making it do this.

I really can't help you then. XWD wasn't exactly developed with windows 7 in mind, and it isn't in active development anymore (from what I gather)

To answer your other questions though, XWD isn't actually an installer: it just unpackages the files to where you select, so to "uninstall" it, you just delete the folder. Also, XWD has troubles starting up on my computer too. Not sure why.