Help Center For V5.6

Panta

You could either 'unlock' the windows taskbar and move it to the top of the screen so the dock gets the bottom area to itself, or, I believe you can specify a vertical offset where you could place the dock on top of the taskbar. Just your personal preference in the end.

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could either 'unlock' the windows taskbar and move it to the top of the screen so the dock gets the bottom area to itself, or, I believe you can specify a vertical offset where you could place the dock on top of the taskbar. Just your personal preference in the end.
I think I'd rather not use the Windows taskbar when using XWindowsDock, because one can also minimize windows to the dock.

Now I am using Emerge Desktop again and it is working fine with XWindowsDock. It does not slow down anymore, so my problem seems to be solved.

However now I still do not know what caused what I saw yesterday (or the day before). Currently it is taking about 1 or 2 percent CPU when idle and that seems fine.

Hey guys,

This is an awesome dock program. It doesn't seem as smooth as Stardock's, but I definitely love the animations and the reflections, which Stardock's does not have! Good job....but I have a big problem that keeps occurring with each reinstallation of this program....Every time I quit the program and reopen it, a screen comes up and tells me that the program has encountered an error and needs to be either closed or restarted. I have submitted this bug report by the way. It works fine on a clean installation, but it doesn't matter which skin is applied or which docklet is on it (even if everything is set to default), it always comes up with the same error. It really sucks to not be able to use this program because I really like it! Anybody have this problem or a solution to it? Thank you!

By the way, here is my system information...

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit

6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

Model: HP Pavilion dv5-1002nr Notebook PC X86

Processor: AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-70 2.00 GHz, 2 Cores, 2 Logical Processors

BIOS: F.32 (3/2/2009)

RAM: 3.00 GB (2.75 GB Physical, 5.86 GB Page File)

Edited by btb42693

A lot of questions. Any help is appreciated.

Could someone explain to me how to put the system volume on xwindows dock? If it's possible.

I'm also curious how you get the hard drive and system resource info on the desktop.

My desktop looks nice except I have 5 icons going down the left side, that I need. I've seen desktops that have made them smaller... am curious how that is done.

What is the best way to make Windows taskbar look like Mac?

Am a Vista user.

Edited by pinkflamingo
A lot of questions. Any help is appreciated.

Could someone explain to me how to put the system volume on xwindows dock? If it's possible.

I'm also curious how you get the hard drive and system resource info on the desktop.

My desktop looks nice except I have 5 icons going down the left side, that I need. I've seen desktops that have made them smaller... am curious how that is done.

What is the best way to make Windows taskbar look like Mac?

Am a Vista user.

post-99526-1239684579_thumb.jpg

I can answer the last question....I used Finderbar to make the titlebar of the mac, which you can download here: http://landvermesser.tripod.com/index.html

It works rather well the buttons really work! It actually looks like a real mac titlebar but you have to install it just how it says in the readme file. Also, I used the zeus os x skin in order to skin the taskbar (you must install this in order for it to look like a mac, the finderbar is just to add the buttons Finder, file, edit, view, etc):

http://ZEUSosX.deviantart.com/art/ZEUS-os-...vista-107157411

You have to follow the directions EXACTLY as it tells you. It took me a few hours to make my system to look perfect. The clock in the upper right hand corner of my screenshot is called "MacClock". You can download that off the same exact website as where you download the finderbar at. I AM running vista home premium, don't let the "TuneXP" icon fool you. All this has worked for me just fine. The dock I am using is Stardock's ObjectDock, which you can find at http://www.stardock.com if you were wondering. I have yet to figure out my problem with XWindowsDock.

One other program that you can use to skin your titlebar (and explorer) is Stardock's WindowsBlinds, which again you can find at http://www.stardock.com, however, it is a 30 day trial and you need to purchase it after the 30 days are up. ObjectDock is a free version of the dock, which I am using and it works great. Any more questions I will gladly answer. (P.S., take a look at this link. The info that I supplied is what worked for me, but this link is my resource. I got what I was able to get out of it, but you might be able to get more. Try it if you like! http://www.aqua-soft.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=51797)

Regarding the response @AndrewYY, I will reinstall XWindowsDock and try again. This time I will try a couple different directories. Any that you recommend other than the C:\Program Files directory? Thanks for the response. :)

btb, does the error cause the dock to close? and what exactly is in the error? And how to reproduce?

Have you tried installing to a different location, etc...

Strange....I installed in the C:\Users\Documents directory and so far, it works just fine! I'm going to restart my system and see if it still works...if not I will report back here.

Sorry for the double posting btw....ok, so I restarted my computer and it does not work now. This is the window that I get at launching XWindowsDock.exe:

post-99526-1239689604_thumb.jpg

Ok Ok, after actually TAKING my time in waiting and messing around with a few things, I finally got it to work, except now I've downloaded "AveDesk" and the magnification does not work. It doesn't completely freeze up because I am able to launch applications with all the animations except magnification, the dock does not move, I cannot move the icons, and the text does not appear over the icons. I HAVE tried to fix this issue more thoroughly, so I won't come screaming back at you guys telling you that I've fixed the problem. I suppose I can live without avedesk because it really doesn't serve much use to me, but i'm just letting this forum know of a possible bug. I'm not sure if it's AveDesk's bug or XWD's bug, but this only happens when AveDesk is running. As of now, that is the only problem that I'm having.

Do not double post - use the edit function - mps69

Edited by btb42693
Really? What do you mean it doesn't work, like, is there an error message that comes up or does it just not work? My xtray works and I have vista.

I means that in my xwd xtray doesn't display all try icon(it doesn't display even kaspersky) and when i clik on one icon of xtray my system freez :( ...I have windows vista ultimate 64 bit...help meeee

hi there, just used this great dock today, and loving it so far.I have couple questions here, hope you guys can help me out:

1/ As you can see below, when I hover the mouse over XWD under a not-maximized window, XWD stays behind/under the window, making it impossible to read the labels. anyway to remedy this?

screenshot1biq.jpg

2/ I also hope that someone here can show me how to use the XMail docklet, I configured it with my Gmail's IMAP inbox, but it still pops up connection errors

screenshotygu.jpg

Thank you very much

@victorng:

1. If you don't mind the dock being on top always, enable the option Panel -> Always on top. Otherwise, enable Panel -> Show dock on mouseover and move your mouse to the bottom of the screen whenever you need the dock to pop up.

2. Atreiu suggested the following settings:

Server: Imap

Host: imap.googlemail.com

Username: [noparse][email protected][/noparse]

Password: yourpass

Use SSL: checked!

I don't know if "googlemail" makes a difference, but it's worth a shot

Hey andrew, do you happen to know if XMail supports MobileMe mail? I've tried it, but I get an error message. I'm assuming it'll be supported in the next update? I have it set up as IMAP in Outlook and it works fine, but it's not working here...

@btb42693

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question on how to get my taskbar to look like finderbar. I'm still working on it. If -- a big if -- I get it figured out I will thank you again. Looking at those instructions on deviantart is daunting, but I will try.

I love my XWD. The software I use for my job is very exclusive, not commercially available, and gives me an error message if I try to reduce to dock, so I love that the creator was intuitive enough to put in the option to exclude programs from it.

@btb42693

Thank you again, bt. I sort of figured it out. I did it the easy way, couldn't figure out the hard way. For those having trouble, make sure to follow his instructions and the inst. on deviantart that he linked to. Amateur hour compared to you guys, but I'm happy I finally got it :)

pfdesktoppreview.png

Is there a good program to take the icons on the right side of the taskbar and put it in a drop down tray to hide them? Or some other way to hide them that I don't know about?

Edited by pinkflamingo
@btb42693

Thank you again, bt. I sort of figured it out. I did it the easy way, couldn't figure out the hard way. For those having trouble, make sure to follow his instructions and the inst. on deviantart that he linked to. Amateur hour compared to you guys, but I'm happy I finally got it :)

pfdesktoppreview.png

Is there a good program to take the icons on the right side of the taskbar and put it in a drop down tray to hide them? Or some other way to hide them that I don't know about?

@pinkflamingo,

No problem :) It's my pleasure to help. Yes, that's exactly how I felt about the deviantart instructions on that site, they were VERY difficult to follow, not to mention some spelling issues and its length, but I managed to get the gist of it. It took me quite a while to download the stuff and follow the instructions at the same time. Hey, I'm here as an amateur with you, trust me, I probably look for as much help as you do. :P

Regarding the icons on the right side of the taskbar, I'm assuming you're talking about the system tray icons. As far as I know, there isn't a way to create a drop down menu to hide the tray icons. If you're looking to just hide them, you can right click the taskbar, (aka finderbar :P) click properties, notification area tab. You can uncheck the system icons if you would like, which is the only way you can hide those icons. If you click the customize button in the "icons" section (and ensure the "hide inactive icons" is checked), you can choose to hide all of the tray icons so they won't show in the right hand side of the taskbar. To do this, click each item under the "behavior" section and mark as "hide". Otherwise, there really isn't much of any other way to get rid of the tray items. Some applications give you the option to get rid of their tray icon from within their program (which I recommend because some programs bog down performance with just their tray icon running!).

I'm not completely sure if this is what you meant with your question, but if you have any other trouble, don't be afraid to post on here or message me personally. I would be glad to help you :)

By the way, if you're interested in some Mac icons for the XWD, I have some that have been ported from Mac OS X Panther. They aren't from Leopard, but they are basically the same ones. If you are interested, private message me and I'll give you a download link (absolutely virus and spyware free, scanned with Symantec's Norton 360).

btb42693

Edited by btb42693
@pinkflamingo,

No problem :) It's my pleasure to help. Yes, that's exactly how I felt about the deviantart instructions on that site, they were VERY difficult to follow, not to mention some spelling issues and its length, but I managed to get the gist of it. It took me quite a while to download the stuff and follow the instructions at the same time. Hey, I'm here as an amateur with you, trust me, I probably look for as much help as you do. :P

Regarding the icons on the right side of the taskbar, I'm assuming you're talking about the system tray icons. As far as I know, there isn't a way to create a drop down menu to hide the tray icons. If you're looking to just hide them, you can right click the taskbar, (aka finderbar :P) click properties, notification area tab. You can uncheck the system icons if you would like, which is the only way you can hide those icons. If you click the customize button in the "icons" section (and ensure the "hide inactive icons" is checked), you can choose to hide all of the tray icons so they won't show in the right hand side of the taskbar. To do this, click each item under the "behavior" section and mark as "hide". Otherwise, there really isn't much of any other way to get rid of the tray items. Some applications give you the option to get rid of their tray icon from within their program (which I recommend because some programs bog down performance with just their tray icon running!).

I'm not completely sure if this is what you meant with your question, but if you have any other trouble, don't be afraid to post on here or message me personally. I would be glad to help you :)

By the way, if you're interested in some Mac icons for the XWD, I have some that have been ported from Mac OS X Panther. They aren't from Leopard, but they are basically the same ones. If you are interested, private message me and I'll give you a download link (absolutely virus and spyware free, scanned with Symantec's Norton 360).

btb42693

Hi bt. Thanks for the instructions on the taskbar. I'll look at that hide and hide inactive and see if that helps. I'm not sure what software I need but maybe I'll figure that out later.

I'll pm you for the icons. Thank you for offering to share :)

Hey, I have a very important question...

is it possible to speed up the start-up process of the XWindows Dock??? I installed many programs concerning the attempt to speed up start-up processes and even found programs that actually delay the start of certain programs to the amount of seconds you want, but it keeps starting up extremely slow...

Do you increase performance by using that profile manager or what?

Thanks,

WazDenn

Hey, I have a very important question...

is it possible to speed up the start-up process of the XWindows Dock??? I installed many programs concerning the attempt to speed up start-up processes and even found programs that actually delay the start of certain programs to the amount of seconds you want, but it keeps starting up extremely slow...

Do you increase performance by using that profile manager or what?

Thanks,

WazDenn

Sorry, it's always been an issue that XWD starts really slowly. You could use startup delayer to start XWD a bit later than usual. That might actually get it to start up earlier... Play with the times :D