Help Center For V5.6

Panta

Ok guys...Sorry I'm new to XWindows Dock, so I don't have any idea where to start. First things first:

1. How can I lose the windows taskbar? I can't click on XWD because it's in the way.

2. How can I change skins? I tried to put the xwd file in the skins folder, but that doesn't help at all.

3. I see a lot of desktop images of users on the forum and they all have some great themes. How do I achieve that? Example is the picture Sirius posted.

I tried to search for some starters tutorial or help for beginners, but I can't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

BTW: I'm on a XP pro machine.

Edit:

I just found out how to change skins. Trying to find the answers for the other questions now.

Edited by moonwalker
  • Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys...Sorry I'm new to XWindows Dock, so I don't have any idea where to start. First things first:

1. How can I lose the windows taskbar? I can't click on XWD because it's in the way.

2. How can I change skins? I tried to put the xwd file in the skins folder, but that doesn't help at all.

3. I see a lot of desktop images of users on the forum and they all have some great themes. How do I achieve that? Example is the picture Sirius posted.

I tried to search for some starters tutorial or help for beginners, but I can't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

BTW: I'm on a XP pro machine.

Edit:

I just found out how to change skins. Trying to find the answers for the other questions now.

1=> set autohide on in taskbar properties (rightclick on it) or if that gets on your nerves (taskbar pops up over xwd when you go to deep with mouse),use an autohotkey script like this one:

#SingleInstance

#NoTrayIcon

s=0

F12::

if s=0

{

WinHide ahk_class Shell_TrayWnd

s=1

}

Else

{

WinShow ahk_class Shell_TrayWnd

s=0

}

return

copy this into a txt document and save as taskswitch.ahk, then run it with autohotkey (use google to find it), use F12 to toggle taskbar on/off

OR PM ME, and i'll send you the compiled version (+-200kb), since i guess i can't attach exe files , and didn't bother to try

3=> www.deviantart.com and look for dock icons, that should get you started

Edited by PintSki
1=> set autohide on in taskbar properties (rightclick on it) or if that gets on your nerves (taskbar pops up over xwd when you go to deep with mouse),use an autohotkey script like this one:

/.../

...or you can just rightclick on the taskbar, remove the 'lock the taskbar''s mark and pull the taskbar down off the window.

You can always get it back if you pull the taskbar up again.

Hi,

I looked through the site to see if anyone had the same problem but didn't see any. Sorry in advance if I asked a similar question.

I love the xdock! So much better than objectdock but it seems that everytime I restart the computer the dock shows every icon twice on the dock? I reinstalled it thinking I must have installed incorrectly but again when I reboot; the icons are doubled again...ie...two of the trashcan...two of my computer...etc.

Is there anything to solve it? I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 bit notebook.

Thanks for the help!

archboy69

Thank you very much. Much appreciated. I will give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks again. ;)

Hi,

I looked through the site to see if anyone had the same problem but didn't see any. Sorry in advance if I asked a similar question.

I love the xdock! So much better than objectdock but it seems that everytime I restart the computer the dock shows every icon twice on the dock? I reinstalled it thinking I must have installed incorrectly but again when I reboot; the icons are doubled again...ie...two of the trashcan...two of my computer...etc.

Is there anything to solve it? I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 bit notebook.

Thanks for the help!

archboy69

I don't know if it helps but there were some issus with Vista's UAC. Try to turn it off, remove the extra icons and reboot again. It might be XWD can't save the condition.

And don't know if it's (or anything else) gonna be fixed at all in future.

...or you can just rightclick on the taskbar, remove the 'lock the taskbar''s mark and pull the taskbar down off the window.

You can always get it back if you pull the taskbar up again.

maybe fine on xp, but:

it doesn't work on vista (my 64bit premium doesn't allow it anyway), and the script is pretty usefull to quickly pop up/down your taskbar. Since xtray doesn't work on vista at this point, and you still need acces to your tray in a fast manner + it leaves the launch orb unaffected which is also usefull to me

Edited by PintSki
Hi, wanted to sak a couple of questions:

1. I is possible to have the control panel as a stack?

2. When i create a shortcut of an application on the dock, is there a setting to open it and be maximized?

Thanks

1. I'm afraid you can't just open the windows control panel as a stack. Windows is forming it scanning system folders. But you can form your own stack one by one creating shortcats. Rightclick on a control panel link you need, create a shortcut on a desktop and move it on to stack.

2. May be you can run the app and remember its state opening it maximized.

I have the same problem =\
Actually, you have a different problem. The problem Calvin360 described is easily solved by moving the "speed of minimization" bar to the left, AFAIK. Yours appears to be a system problem, from your post in the FAQ.

In the future, please leave all questions in this thread ;)

Hello,

Today I started using XWindowsDock and I like what I see. However, it occurred to me that the application is using CPU also when I do not use the dock. This makes Windows slower, especially when using autocomplete-functions (for example Windows' Run dialog).

I changed some settings, restarted XWindowsDock, but now it does not show at all. It seems like it is trying to start, it uses CPU, but nothing is showing.

I already deleted Settings.xml and Settings.xml, but the application is still not showing. Is there some profile-directory that I can delete ?

The last time I saw the application's interface the application did not close properly, so I had to close it using Windows' Task Manager.

Any idea what is happening here ? Is it normal that XWD uses some percent of CPU when it is not being actively used ?

Now I installed XWD into another directory, rebooted my computer, tried to start XWD again and it did start this time.

This time the Apply-button in the Preferences-window works again. Also when I hit Exit in the menu it stops. So I guess that what I saw yesterday was some quirk behaviour from XWD.

However, still the CPU usage is bothering me. It does not take many CPU (from 1 tot 10 percent a time), but when I have it running it slows down my system considerably. When I do not use it (it just shows itself in the bottom of the screen) it still steals CPU.

Some details of my system:

Intel Core2 Duo CPU T9300 (2.5 GHz)

3 GB RAM

Windows XP Service Pack 3

Shell: Emerge Desktop

2009-04-12:

Currently I am using ObjectDock without any problems to at least have a working dock. This one does not use CPU when not in use and does not slow down my system. However, I still like the idea and the features of XWindowsDock, so I'd like to know if I am doing something wrong (or can change some settings so it will work better).

BTW, quitting XWD when doing some work is not an option for me. I like to have a dock, but then it must be working without any problems.

Edited by nirwana

@martan: Sounds like you either have to

A: disable some features in XWD

B: stop using IE

C: stop using XWD

what version of IE are you using? Mine works, so it might be your computer.

@nirwana: it only uses 0 or 1% CPU on idle for me. It does use a bunch when it's doing stuff though. My specs are pretty close to yours too:

Intel Core2 Duo CPU E6850 (3.0 GHz)

3.23 GB RAM

Windows XP SP3

(I don't have emerge desktop)

I don't notice much of a slowdown, but it does bother me when I'm running any large applications, so I just close XWD when I need to. I don't know whether that's an option for you though.

Now I installed XWindowsDock on a clean Windows 7 installation (build 7077 to be exact). There it works better, but still takes CPU-cycles (from 1 to 10 percent at times) when idle.

BTW, what do you use as shell for Windows when you use XWindowsDock ? Normally the dock would cover Windows' own taskbar. Or do you move the Windows taskbar on top ? Currently I have set the Windows taskbar to auto-hide so I will not see it while testing XWD.

Now I should test XWD with a normal Windows Explorer as shell on my Windows XP to see whether that also slows down.

I can't download it. It says that the link doesn't work...

OMG what link is everyone using? This a like the 3rd or 4th time this have been mentioned.

There is at least 2 thread with working download links, one even called Main Download. <_<