Help Center For V5.6

Panta

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, people,

I looked through the topic but must have missed it, so I'll have to ask about my problem.

XWD is set to start with Windows Vista and has a shortcut in the startup folder. When Vista loads, the XWIndowsDock.exe process is active but there is no dock to be seen anywhere. Terminating the process and manually launching XWD by using the very same shortcut in the startup folder solves everything and the dock appears.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks!

Ah yes, might be...

Hey I got a question for you guys: what the heck are the masks for in skins??? I can't figure out what they're supposed to be, and it's not really discussed either.

masks for the opacity of window reflections :)

Is XWindows Dock 5.6 optimized for Direct X 10/Nvidia Geforce cards? The reason why I ask is due to the somewhat sluggish performance with panel stretching when using the Dock, it just doesnt seem as responsive as say Objectdock or rocketdock. If anyone can give some tips on improving performance ill be more than happy to try them...

I am using vista ultimate with latest geforce drivers...

thanks

Is XWindows Dock 5.6 optimized for Direct X 10/Nvidia Geforce cards? The reason why I ask is due to the somewhat sluggish performance with panel stretching when using the Dock, it just doesnt seem as responsive as say Objectdock or rocketdock. If anyone can give some tips on improving performance ill be more than happy to try them...

I am using vista ultimate with latest geforce drivers...

thanks

Nah, it's just like that. Try turning on "Optimize magnification (use every fourth pixel)" in the preferences, as that will help hide the choppiness. The way Bobah wrote the magnification for this dock makes it kind of choppy sometimes.
Guys please can you tell me how to uninstall this great software? I'm having some troubles :S Please tell me how because I can't find the uninstall link under Add & Remove programs in Control Panel.
just delete the folder xwindows dock is installed in.
AndrewYY, will U answer MY questions, please?
sure.

1. Sorry, this dock doesn't do anything but the bottom of the screen. :( It can be moved a bit from the bottom of the screen so that it floats on top of the taskbar, but not to the top of the screen or the sides.

2. To get icons to reflect, make sure under Preferences > Icons, "Opacity of icon reflections" is not zero, and "Space between icons and bottom of panel" is also not zero.

Hope that answers your questions.

Edited by AndrewYY

Is there any way to get the "drag and drop" feature working with all programs on the dock? By this I mean being able to drag a file to a link and have the program start it.

For instance...On my friends Mac, he can drop images onto the VLC link of his dock (real Apple Dock) and it will show the image...this isnt the case for me though. Any ideas?

EDIT:::Hmm, it works with movies, maybe he isn't using VLC for images.

Edited by cyclonezephyrxz7

@Sirius: "Space between icons and bottom of panel" to 16? That's what I have. I don't understand why it's not working. Maybe a bug?

@cyclonezephyrxz7: Use Atreiu's docklet Xlauncher and replace your program icons with it:

http://cid-c9d5b566f6aa2531.skydrive.live....klets/XLauncher

@xntrick: check Preferences > Panel > Show dock on mouseover.

Edited by AndrewYY
I also have a bug with Styler Toolbar, when I minimize a window wich has Styler toolbar (in this case explorer), the toolbar turns black in the Genie effect and thumbnail.
Change Preferences > Capture windows > Method used for minimizing windows to "ScreenShot"
Look, there's no reflection at all although I did as U said:

Couple of things:

- Decrease your reflection blur

- Decrease the distance between icon and reflection

- Increase the distance between icon and bottom of dock

That should show something. As it is, you probably have a reflection, but it doesn't have enough room to show and is too blurry to appear in that little space.

OK, I did as Technosinner said, and reflection appeared:

Cr47e5NDmi.png

When the new version of XWindows will come? My main requests are: to enable XWindows at the top of the screen, more skins and options. Generally, the dock is wonderful))

I've never used this app before - but there's no entry in the start menu when it installs, and when I run it manually from the Program Files folder, seemingly nothing happens. The program is running (per taskmgr), but I don't *see* anything. Do I have to setup the settings.xml file before the first run? Why isn't there a start menu entry for this program? I was hoping to find something better than RocketDock, but this software app seems very unpolished.

I've never used this app before - but there's no entry in the start menu when it installs, and when I run it manually from the Program Files folder, seemingly nothing happens. The program is running (per taskmgr), but I don't *see* anything. Do I have to setup the settings.xml file before the first run? Why isn't there a start menu entry for this program? I was hoping to find something better than RocketDock, but this software app seems very unpolished.

No you shouldn't have to manually set up the XML. Might be a failed install, try reinstalling. But no it doesn't place a shortcut in the start menu by default.

No you shouldn't have to manually set up the XML. Might be a failed install, try reinstalling. But no it doesn't place a shortcut in the start menu by default.

Turns out the bar was hiding behind my litestep bar. I didn't realize it (and thought litestep may be causing an issue) so I went back to explorer as my shell and saw the dock just peeking over the top of the start bar. So it was working, I just couldn't find it. I played around with it, and found it too constricted... RocketDock or whatever seems like it runs much better. On paper, XWindows Dock looks better, but in practice RocketDock works much better. Until you solve the drag 'n' drop and clean up your config page, this project'll never compete. Definitely shows promise tho.