Converting Vista To Mac

Hey All,

First off, Hey im Matt, a Law Student at the University of Waikato in Hamilton, New Zealand.

I need to ask a question, I am just wanting a list of programs people use to enhance windows and make it look more like a mac, I've seen various posts showing peoples "rigs" but am wondering where I can get a complete list of programs.

EG, a Finderbar for Vista, Mac-like "skin" for Windows explorer, and also is it possible for the minimise, maximise and exit buttons to be on the right of the explorer panel like on a mac?

PS: This might sound a stupid question but I've tried my hardest to locate various programs to no avail.

Cheers

Matt

You could have pressed the search button at the top to find all you need. Look for AppleMinMax, XWindowsDock, Leopard XP Visual Style by nobodyuse (google that one), ObjectBar...

There's a thread here somewhere where people list their top favorite windows apps. That should get you started. :)

Yup, that's a very good list.

I'm using most of it too, except for the visual style. I haven't found a realistic good VS yet for Vista. The best way to get your windows look like Mac, is by purchasing WindowBlinds (by Stardock).

Yup, that's a very good list.

I'm using most of it too, except for the visual style. I haven't found a realistic good VS yet for Vista. The best way to get your windows look like Mac, is by purchasing WindowBlinds (by Stardock).

I really don't like WB, cause there's not a convincing theme yet & by some experience, they may never be one. I used WB for Vista, but was conflicting on other programs like Office 2007, Firefox & Safari, because the WB theme moved the traffic light to the left & didn't let me to close, min, max the programs (Office & Safari) property & with Firefox, I dunno why it made the menus to act strange.

But have you used the VS that I mentioned before? Because I used it on Basic mode (not Aero) & it was a fine replica of OSX 10.5 B)

I really don't like WB, cause there's not a convincing theme yet & by some experience, they may never be one. I used WB for Vista, but was conflicting on other programs like Office 2007, Firefox & Safari, because the WB theme moved the traffic light to the left & didn't let me to close, min, max the programs (Office & Safari) property & with Firefox, I dunno why it made the menus to act strange.

But have you used the VS that I mentioned before? Because I used it on Basic mode (not Aero) & it was a fine replica of OSX 10.5 B)

Ooh, in basic mode it could look nice indeed. I really don't like the Aero-look. (But I like to keep aero on, so I can customize other menus - and I like the window-appearing-effect :P) And you're right about Office 2007; I just use alt+F4 to close :P or use the long button on the top-right to hide it.

This is how my Firefox and Explorer look like:

DesktopXFIFTEEN07-04-09.png

Greetings

Edited by xfifteen

so...I am having some major issues with some of the programs such as the Finderbar and the Dock program that you listed. Finderbar is not skinning the start button, and it is doing some weird things with the transparency. The dock is continuously failing for some reason. I have to continue to uninstall and reinstall it (first of all, there is no uninstall! I have to delete the program files folder!). It looks great, but for me, Stardock's ObjectDock has to be my dock until I figure out what the issue is...These programs are all rather difficult to use, as there really isn't much for instructions or troubleshooting. XFifteen, I really like the style on Explorer, and that's really my goal here. I cannot figure out how to customize the stupid bar! You're using Vista, right? I have Home Premium and it's really being a pain in the butt. I cannot hack the uxtheme.dll file either. I cannot change the permissions in the security tab. I have tried Stardock's ObjectBar before, but for some reason that didn't really work with my system at all. ANYBODY HERE HAVE ANY SOLUTION TO THIS??? I am so confused out of my mind I just am not able to make my system look like a Mac. I am so tired with the frekin Windows style and not being able to really change that! I had to just use System Restore in order to get everything back to normal...By the way, I use Stardock's WindowsBlinds with a Mac sort of looking theme. Please help me install these things correctly! ANybody who can help me would seriously be my hero.

• 1 month later...

Hi btb!!!

First of all, if you have the UAC enabled, you'll got some problems with XWD, so it's better if u install it in other file than program files.

I don't know wich bar you mean in explorer, but normally WB changes the look of ur taskbar, but the bar that is in the screenshot from xfifteen is ObjectBar from stardock, apparently you got some trouble with that, i'm using objectbar 1.65 in vista without any problem.

In order to patch the dll in the system32 folder you have to:

1. Right-click the file original and select Properties

2. Click on the Security tab

3. Click Advanced in the lower right

4. In the Advanced Security Settings window that pops up, click on the Owner tab

5. Click Edit

6. Click Other users or groups

7. Click Advanced in the lower left corner

8. Click Find

9. Scroll through the results and double-click on your current user account.

10. Click OK to all of the remaining windows except the first Properties window.

You can find WB themes for vista here: http://browse.deviantart.com/customization...dowblindsvista/

Other applications I'm using (you can google'em ;))

- AveDesk 1.3

- Switcher (Exposé clone) only with aero enabled

- Virtual desktops (spaces clone)

- FindeXer

Other links that could be useful:

- For having the buttons (min/max/close) in the left side : http://hsiw.web.fc2.com/

- For having the roll option (the window roll into its title bar), besides transparent windows : http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhan...s/WinRoll.shtml

You can use to the MarkRaats Apple-Transformation-List for some more applications (it's not for vista, but some of them work fine): http://www.markraats.com/Apple_Transformation_List.htm

Hope this helps!

Here a screenshot from my desktop!

post-95527-1244454658_thumb.png

Edited by edgordil
  • 1 month later...

I customized my Vista SP1 using RK Launcher, Vista Glazz, the DeskHack and ZEUS OS X: Spirit if Leopard Theme. Generally it works pretty good but there are a couple quirks. One is that Firefox 3.5 still retains some of the Vista look between the title bar and the tabs. So where the buttons and web address space are located, I still get this bluish look instead of the brushed metal of leopard. See attachment 1.

The other thing I noticed is if I go into Firefox's tool>options menu and look at the advanced settings screen, part of it is chopped off on the right. So if I wanted to set it up to use a proxy server for example, I can't enter any information because that portion of the configuration box is cut off. There are no handles to make it wider either. It's not a real critical issue since I don't really have a need to change anything there but I think something got overlooked. See attachment 2.

post-103808-1247277652_thumb.jpg

post-103808-1247277662_thumb.jpg

Well for me it worked with:

XWindowsDock (I can't believe I hated it)

Zeus OS X Basic Leopard

AppleMinMax

WinExposé

I found the icons on DeviantArt and Iconspedia and used IconPackager.

I'm still trying to find a decent Finder clone; Rosie 1.0 was VERY unstable and Finderbar is just for skin purposes because it doesn't really work IMO. I used ObejctBar once but hated it and took many resources, so still no Finderbar for me..

You can also use Explorer CoverFlow in the Community Applications area it works like a charm but it's a bit slow.

And well, here're the results:

Dibujo-6.png

Zeus OS X Basic Leopard

AppleMinMax

WinExposé

I'm still trying to find a decent Finder clone; Rosie 1.0 was VERY unstable and Finderbar is just for skin purposes because it doesn't really work IMO. I used ObejctBar once but hated it and took many resources, so still no Finderbar for me..

You can also use Explorer CoverFlow in the Community Applications area it works like a charm but it's a bit slow.

And well, here're the results:Image Snipped - mps69

ARE YOU USING STYLER? for toolbar?

Zeus OS X Basic Leopard

AppleMinMax

WinExposé

And well, here're the results:

Image Snipped - mps69

Was this done converted from XP or Vista? If Vista, was it Service Pack 1? Was it just a matter of installing the Dock app, themes and icons or was there any sort of special patching and/or hack that needed to be done? Any luck on a Finder? The Finder Bar app I tried would not work properly. The text on the bar was so faint I could hardly see it and I could still see the Windows Quicklaunch Bar underneath it. Plus there was still a visible divider bar between the Apple Icon and the text of the finder bar.

Was this done converted from XP or Vista? If Vista, was it Service Pack 1? Was it just a matter of installing the Dock app, themes and icons or was there any sort of special patching and/or hack that needed to be done? Any luck on a Finder? The Finder Bar app I tried would not work properly. The text on the bar was so faint I could hardly see it and I could still see the Windows Quicklaunch Bar underneath it. Plus there was still a visible divider bar between the Apple Icon and the text of the finder bar.

Vista Basic with Service Pack 2, I just patched the uxtheme.dll and the other files with VistaGlazz, everything else worked perfectly.

About the finderbar, as I said, Rosie was very unstable and Finderbar is just for making the bar to look like it, because it doesn't work like Rosie (Finder) does, and I won't buy Objectbar.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...