Gdi++ Font Smoothing In Vista X64

Hello there, I am using GDI++ font smoothing and it looks flippin' sweet in Firefox and other applications, but it does not affect Windows Explorer at all. The problem is that I am using the 64-bit edition of Vista and therefore 64-bit applications seem to be incompatible to the font smoothing app. I have found GDI++ here in this forum and I'd like to know if there is some sort of trick to apply font smoothing to explorer as well. Here is a screenshot, Firefox uses smooth fonts but the Windows taskbar doesn't.

clipboard01onf.th.jpg Thanks! :-)

I recall GDI++ sources are available to any developer.

If someone has a 64 bit compiler (I don't) he/she can compile a 64 bit version of GDI++ .dll. This would solve your problem.

Note to developers: you must change api hooks in gdi++ to fit the 64 bit ones.

Edit

Yeah, just checked and sources are included with program (I have version gdi++20060927.zip tough I don't use it, I use ClearType instead... not so pretty on CRT but looks better than just nothing).

• 1 month later...

I guess you have to do this:

There is an src/ directory with a file named "Makefile" inside. Take note about that directory.

Now go into Start menu, Programs, Microsoft Visual Studio, Visual Studio Tools, Visual Studio Command Line (or something like that). A command-line like interface appears (though it's not exactly a command line).

Type CD C:\path\to\Makefile\thing then press enter (e.g. CD C:\gdi++\src)

Now type make and press enter. Program should now be compiling. I'm not sure if this will result in 32 bit, 64 bit or maybe something like a universal binary, who knows.

BTW I have Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 here so I haven't tried but I guess C++ Express and Studio 2005 won't do the job. Probably you need Visual C++ 6.0, though if I were you I would download MinGW, port the source code to something compilable on mingw/gcc (probably rewrite the Makefile and some minor changes in header and source files). Then I'd just compile both the 32 and 64 bit versions.

aquasoft-separator.png

Edit

Oh my Creator... I've just tested with Visual Studio 2005 and it works. Didn't try to make a 64 bit executable but only should need to edit the Makefile and add some options to CFLAGS / LDFLAGS (btw they're missing, who wrote this Makefile?).

• 2 months later...

hey want to resurrect this thread. So what exactly do I need to add the CFLAGS/LDFLAGS in order to compile it correctly for x64 win 7?

I'm a noob on this one, never use make in visual studio before :\

Visual Studio C++ Express 2008 right?

btw, the command prompt tools I found in the startmenu doesn't work, it says make is not recognized as an internal command. Why?

Do not double post - use the edit function - mps69

• 4 weeks later...
Oh my Creator... I've just tested with Visual Studio 2005 and it works. Didn't try to make a 64 bit executable but only should need to edit the Makefile and add some options to CFLAGS / LDFLAGS (btw they're missing, who wrote this Makefile?).

You didn't try but does that mean that you can? I have neither Visual Studio nor any programming experience, but it seems like you do. If you could try to get this thing working, I'd be super-thankful and you would totally win the internets.

• 2 weeks later...