Stacks Docklet 2.0

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey matonga, this one is a lot more functional for me :)

Specs:

XP SP3

Dock = objectdock

Position = Top of screen

Bugs:

1. When opening the stack the icon changes back to the default stack icon.

2. When doing Fan Mode, the fan opens upward off of the screen. When doing grid mode, the grid opens downward as it should.

3. When deleting a shortcut out of the folder the grid is stacking from, you have to reselect the folder for the changes to be seen.

Everything else works smoothly, its not functional for me to use on grid mode. Keep it up matonga, you are awesome.

1. When opening the stack the icon changes back to the default stack icon.

Let's see: when you open a stack, a white semitransparent icon with an arrow appears. This is how Leopard works.

This is the expected behavior of Stacks Docklet 2.0:

Mode		 Closed				Open
---- ------ ----
No icon First three items Arrow-down icon
Stack icon Stack icon Arrow-down icon
Box overlay Box + first 3 items Box + arrow-down icon

This is exactly the same as Leopard, AFAIK. Please bear in mind this app tries to emulate the appearence of Leopard stacks.

matonga maybe grid is a little too big?

Yeah, isn't it cool? :D

You'll be able to tweak that in next versions.

But... look at those big, high resolution icons (Internet Options, NVIDIA Control Panel & Windows CardSpace), just like in Leopard.

I think I'll post some screenshots of Leopard so anyone has something to compare Stacks Docklet with.

You'll be able to tweak that in next versions.

But... look at those big, high resolution icons (Internet Options, NVIDIA Control Panel & Windows CardSpace), just like in Leopard.

They look really nice, but with a grid as big as the shown in the screenshot, functionality turns lame.

It is good though that it would be customizable, so let's say that if I have a stack with 6 icons, then I'll set grid view to BIG, but if I have 20 icons, then I'll prefer the small version ;)

Glad to hear from you Matonga, and I'm waiting for the next version to test.

Every so often when I open a stack and choose an icon from in the grid or fan, the magnification of the dock itself becomes stuck. This is happening in RK Launcher. The functionality is the same, but the dock won't autohide and icons won't return to normal size. The only fix is to exit RK Launcher and restart it.

See the screenshot attached. Oh and btw, amazing work. Love it so far!

post-96317-1235371955_thumb.jpg

Edited by napes

That's also happened to me before on ObjectDock and has happened once since the new version. I have the latest Objectdock vers. And I don't have magnification turned on. It's not really a big deal for me, the name of the stack just stays there until I restart. Everything else is functional, just the names of the other docklets don't appear after this happens.

Every so often when I open a stack and choose an icon from in the grid or fan, the magnification of the dock itself becomes stuck. This is happening in RK Launcher. The functionality is the same, but the dock won't autohide and icons won't return to normal size. The only fix is to exit RK Launcher and restart it...

post-96317-1235371955_thumb.jpg

That's also happened to me before on ObjectDock and has happened once since the new version. I have the latest Objectdock vers. And I don't have magnification turned on. It's not really a big deal for me, the name of the stack just stays there until I restart. Everything else is functional, just the names of the other docklets don't appear after this happens.

Have you both tried just draggin a little bit ANY icon as I stated in my reply?? I don't think you have to relaunch the dock. (See comment #50)

Edited by Impheatus
Have you both tried just draggin a little bit ANY icon as I stated in my reply?? I don't think you have to relaunch the dock. (See comment #50)

wow, how simple is that? hey, thanks for the tip. I had this with v1 all the time and eventually just gave up on it. I never thought of dragging any icon... works great. just verified this behavior again with v1 of the docklet in latest OD. This happened to me with the new docklet after its first release as well (haven't tried latest). Good to know this simple trick.

thank you

while I was trying with the "magnification stuck" problem I noticed sth else. when I open two docklets in the latest build of v2 I get the dock magnification stuck consistently. Once the mag is stuck I can still open the other docklet, but this time it opens with small icons (the size of icons in the dock when not magnified). Once I wiggle any icon the dock acts normal again and icons open with size of magnified icon.

maybe not important, but interesting.

Do not double post - thanks mps69

Edited by mps69

Just downloaded the 2/20 version and testing.

First of all, 48px minimum size for grid is way too big: a grid with 7 x 5 icons is 1053x932 pixels (urgh!)... ok, I have 1920x1200 on my main monitor, there's still room :P I've seen you're going to have icon size as a customizable setting, which is good; I also second the proposal of per stack customization (not as a global setting), if possible, to have, say, one stack with 48px icons and another with 32px.

There is one error, though, when I set the icon for the stack (not the folder to which it points) - see attachment - that cannot be related to UAC as I have the docklet with RocketDock installed in C:\Tools\etc... as the older version and have never had any issue with UAC. The settings.ini file is correctly placed in C:\Tools\System\RocketDock\Docklets and the Stacks 2.0 docklet correctly writes the other settings, it's just changing the icon that returns that error.

Note that it also saves the new icon: if after setting it I close Rocketdock and reopen it the new icon is correctly in place and saved in the .ini. Note also that I have 4 "old version" stacks along with the 2.0 stack for testing, though I have no idea whether one version can interfere with the other.

As soon as icons can be reduced in size and there's some "onhover" effect (like the "full label" effect in the previous version) I will be able to use the new version instead of the old.

post-85009-1235648857_thumb.jpg

As soon as icons can be reduced in size and there's some "onhover" effect (like the "full label" effect in the previous version) I will be able to use the new version instead of the old.

There is no on-hover effect, but the full label thing is already there, just put a too-long file name to some item in the stack and you'll notice it (something like "hey man this is a really very very long thing of a filename with lots of chars.txt").

The error box displayed is from Stacks Docklet 1.0 :-)

SD 1 has a lot of memory bugs, it behaves erratically, makes the dock and other docklets (including SD 2) to crash. I hope to be able to make SD 2 into release candidate at least at any time soon, so everyone can finally remove SD 1 and use SD 2.

BTW SD 2 is currently pretty more stable (even though featureless) than SD 1.

OK, since I have 4 old stacks I didn't want to remove them to check :)

I wish there was some onhover effect (if you remember I asked for it in the old version), the long file name was good since it gave feedback for the currently selected icon in the grid: I always use short names so it was useful for THIS reason, not to see a name that I saw anyway in full ;) Will you include any effect in the future? I seem to remember it is a Leopard feature indeed...

There is no on-hover effect, but the full label thing is already there, just put a too-long file name to some item in the stack and you'll notice it (something like "hey man this is a really very very long thing of a filename with lots of chars.txt").

Actually there's an on-hover effect. When my file name is "hey man this is a really very very long thing of a filename with lots of chars", and the stack is set as "grid", the name gets cropped until I hover over that file and the name gets displayed completely.

That's exactly how it should work. ;)

Actually there's an on-hover effect. When my file name is "hey man this is a really very very long thing of a filename with lots of chars", and the stack is set as "grid", the name gets cropped until I hover over that file and the name gets displayed completely.

I just wanted to note I have access to a Mac here at work. I'm using it right now, has stacks and all stuff, and from time to time I compare it to my Stacks to find what I'm missing... (which is a lot by now, you can even navigate Leopard stacks with the keyboard,using Tab and cursor keys).

You're right, I didn't notice it... but in 1.0.xxx the label appeared for ALL icons, whatever their name lengths... now it works ONLY for icons which have "too long names", which makes it useless as an "onhover" effect.

Hey Matonga, just a suggestion, and this probably does not fall in-line with OSX 1-to-1, but for those who wish a visual feedback cue (hover effect,) maybe you could add an option (in settings) to "Enable Full label hover effect on all stack items"

What this would do is simply, enable the full label hover effect on All labels regardless of length or shortness of the label. It would in effect, be an item hover selection feedback mechanism, and your code/functionality is already there.

Just a suggestion, I haven't tried your new version yet so I do not know how the label complete looks presently. However, I can't wait to try this out when it reaches RC status!

Thanks again for another contribution.

EDIT: robc above posted between this post and coincidentally relates to my suggestion ;)

dont work whith objectdock an vista. objectdock crashed when i adding stack 2.0 (sorry vor my english, i´m german )
May be a problem with your installation/PC configuration as I'm running it at a Vista Home Premium 32-bit system and the latest version of OD+ and almost everything is working as expected (except the generated icon, which has got bogged by the changes in 20/Feb version).