Stacks Docklet 2.0

@matonga I set up a stacksdocklet 2.0 on my RocketDock 1.3.5, no crashes, works great.

The issue that I have with it is icon quality. I am running this docklet alongside the old version (SD 1.0, I suppose) and the decrease in icon quality is very noticeable...especially since icon design is something I do for a hobby.

Is this known? I read the entire thread and was not clear on this issue. I understand that this is not complete and is still under development, but is this a known bug? If so, is there a timetable to improve the quality of the icons both in the dock and in the expanded stacks?

Thanks for the great work!

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait... "decrease in quality" in what sense? I mean, SD1 had smaller icons by default, SD2 uses 48x48: many applications still have small icons inside their .exe, so using them in a SD1 stack displayed a 32x32 icon which could be good, now in SD2 the stack tries to show a 48x48 or bigger icon, does not find one and zooms up the only available 32x32, resulting in a low quality icon. This is the ONLY icon quality "issue" I found in SD2. If you change your shortcuts icons with 128x128 or 256x256 .ico files you'll see that SD2 is way better than SD1.

I make all my icons meticulously, at 48x48.

I am looking right now at my RocketDock instance, with one instance of SD 1.0 with a very nice dock icon, and right next to it an instance of SD 2.0 using the exact same icon, but there is a noticeable decrease in image sharpness. It also appears that the icons in the expanded grid suffer from a similar blurriness.

Would a screenshot help?

@DarKobra:

Yes, it would help a lot.

In SD1 a blurriness problem was associated with lack of proper alpha channel handling.

A screenshot of your problem would help to determine what's going on in this case.

Hello, sorry for my bad English, I also like the user punkitititi not I use 2.0 stack, try to just add to the bar a stack crashes rocketdock, suggested some solution?

I forgot how to use Vista Sp1 operating system

Edited by espanico09
@DarKobra:

Yes, it would help a lot.

In SD1 a blurriness problem was associated with lack of proper alpha channel handling.

A screenshot of your problem would help to determine what's going on in this case.

Attached are screenshots of what I am talking about. The first is a shot of what my dock looks like right now, with the two Stacks instances in the middle. On the LEFT is the SD 1.0 instance, and on the RIGHT is the SD 2.0 instance. Hopefully the difference is clear.

The other two images are of the same row of the expanded grid view. The problem is most easily recognized on the Eclipse icon and the Inkscape icon.

Hopefully this helps, I cant wait to use SD 2.0 but the blurry icons really get to me.

post-35920-1241190008_thumb.png

post-35920-1241190017_thumb.png

post-35920-1241190022_thumb.png

Oh... THAT blurriness...

Actually IT IS the same icon :), and not a lower resolution one. The problem is unproper interpolation, I should use Lanczos instead, but Windows GDI+ doesn't give me such option.

Sorry to desappoint you (I mean all of you people): actually I'm moving to C++, so for a couple of months there will be few to no updates, until I finally finish moving to C++ and port all apps to that language.

Sorry to desappoint you (I mean all of you people): actually I'm moving to C++, so for a couple of months there will be few to no updates, until I finally finish moving to C++ and port all apps to that language.

Is this for better quality or more functionality.

hi matonga :)

well I did it like you suggested and still doesn't work, with stack 1.0 it works greatly, as soon as I installed the 2.0, with the automate installer, all went well until I selected stack 2.0 and the bar just crashed, I did it 2 times and in both cases it crashed, I also deleted the infos and put them again manually but nothing... I couldn't even turn on the dock since it was right away in crash...

I forgot to tell you the other day that I am on vista home premium, and I am using the latest version of ROCKETDOCK if that could mean something...

Edited by punkitititi
Stacks Docklet 2.0

Feature requests will be silently ignored until beta release. :rolleyes:

Hola che...

Gracias por el buen trabajo Matonga...

Tried 2.0 out... For those having icon size problems in Fan Stack. We can control the Icon size by modifying the settings in the Advance tab. First, make sure "Use Docklet icon size for Fan views" is unchecked. Then Change the "Minimum Icon Size" to make sure u'r longest fan stack will fit nicely on screen. For me this was about the lowest setting possible which is 16 pixels on my biggest stack of 38 items(I need to group my icons & a new feature on 2.0). I kept the "Maximum Icon Size" @ 48... The quality of the icons change the smaller you go... The same settings are used across all stacks you add. 16-48 gave me the best range. I will up the minimum as I group my icons better.

For the most part it work's great.. Biggest issue is in W7 RC it can't seem to get or find some of the links & icons. Mostly games & other system programs like Sticky Notes & Snipping Tool. Not sure if it's because of the way W7 made the link in the start menu or what. So the link works on W7 but not in 2.0 or on KKMenu. Will have to play with that some more. Since most of them do work correctly.

Not sure if it's time yet to ask for this... But I would like a Fan Stack option that will let you see inside folders.. Like KKMenu let's you do now in "Dynamic Folder" mode... The setting is under "Menu Kind". Would prefer that in Fan Stack style. Where one can glide over a folder & choose icons inside. That way instead of having to keep multiple Fan Stacks. One can just create a few with folders where one can organize one's icons. Any chance of getting this Matonga...

Thanks for all u'r hard work... Es muy chevere...

Later..

(Uploaded pic of with 3 images to show what I am talking about)

post-100775-1241270823_thumb.jpg

Edited by Y314K

@Ghostwalker:

None of them. For improved stability (less crashes). Writing standalone apps in Delphi is really nice, but whenever I write a plugin/add-on for something else (Winamp, Rocket Dock, Rhinoceros, Foobar, VideoLan, XWindows Dock, etc...) everything goes wrong at some point, and it crashes, and I don't know why. Also while working low-level and with DirectX / DirectShow API I have problems too. So the idea is to switch to C++ to see if I can reach some stability there. Currently I'm developing my own GUI framework. I don't like the complexity of wxWidgets, GTK doesn't use native controls so it sucks in my opinion, other frameworks are too inmature or too complex, in short words: I couldn't find a framework that would let me program as I did in Delphi. The nearest thing to this is using dialog resources, which is pretty interesting, but I couldn't get the tab key working :P so I just went on my own and things are coming pretty stable and easy up to now (even event handling). I'll post some results in Developer's hangout soon (yes the framework will be open source).

@punkitititi:

Ok, I dunno if you can install two instances of RocketDock (one non-portable and one portable) in the same machine, and if so if the portable version uses the portable settings or the other ones. This is important because I really don't know if it is crashing just because of RocketDock, or because of Windows, or whatever :(

I know what you mean, I have tried it several times and I gave up for now... it is annoying not to have working the evolution of this wonderful application, even if I am quite satisfied from the first one, thought that the new one could have added some more functionalities to it.

Thank you for your time trying to understand what was the problem, if I ever find out why it doesnt work, and then works I will tell it to you so you can report it in the FAQ and maybe solve other peoples' problems :D :D

Hope this helps you out matonga.

I installed stacks docklet 2.0 on 2 vista operating systems (my roommates computers)

Both were crashing on startup so I decided to do some troubleshooting to see if I could fix the problem.

It turned out in both cases that the reason why the stacks docklets were crashing because there was an icon inside of them that was too low of quality. To fix, I simply replaced the low quality icon with a higher quality icon and now no crashes. Hope this helps

Hope this helps you out matonga.

I installed stacks docklet 2.0 on 2 vista operating systems (my roommates computers)

Both were crashing on startup so I decided to do some troubleshooting to see if I could fix the problem.

It turned out in both cases that the reason why the stacks docklets were crashing because there was an icon inside of them that was too low of quality. To fix, I simply replaced the low quality icon with a higher quality icon and now no crashes. Hope this helps

How did you it ?

I just used simple troubleshooting. I have objectdock so I made a backup of my docks settings by going to

Dock Settings --> Themes tab --->Backup bold heading ---> Save current dock ---> give it a recognizable name and click save.

Then I drug off half of my stacks docklets and restarted the computer

If objectdock crashed I kept opening it using the icon until it didn't crash. Then I restored my previous settings and removed the other stack. I did so until I found the "good" stacks (the stacks that weren't causing objectdock to crash on startup) and the bad stacks (the ones that were)

So then I removed all the icons from the bad stacks I replaced the icons and used trial and error (it was a lot of restarting the computer) to find out which icons were bad. I changed the icons of the bad icons by right clicking them

Properties ---> Shortcut Tab ---> change icon ---> hit browse and select a higher quality icon from DeviantArt.

After replacing all the bad icons I put the shortcuts back in the stack and restarted and have had no problems since

Hey,

this problem may have already been reported, but i didn't wanna search through 16 pages.

I use "Icon > use icon as stack icon". so now whenever i click on the icon to open up the grid, the icon disappears (is replaced by transparent arrow-icon). in the older version there was an option to make it stay.

using "icon > use icon as box overlay" the icon stays, but the other icons can partially be seen below it, which looks quite distracting.

any chance for an option to keep the icon visible?

thanks a lot. it's a great docklet!

cheers

p.s. just realized that the hover-effect in the grid is missing as well.

Edited by Friday
Hey,

this problem may have already been reported, but i didn't wanna search through 16 pages.

I use "Icon > use icon as stack icon". so now whenever i click on the icon to open up the grid, the icon disappears (is replaced by transparent arrow-icon). in the older version there was an option to make it stay.

using "icon > use icon as box overlay" the icon stays, but the other icons can partially be seen below it, which looks quite distracting.

any chance for an option to keep the icon visible?

thanks a lot. it's a great docklet!

cheers

p.s. just realized that the hover-effect in the grid is missing as well.

Apparently this is Matonga's intended behavior, as this is how the Mac OS actually does it. There is a workaround to get it the way you want: go to \Program Files\RocketDock\Docklets\StackDocklet2.0 and either delete Stack.png or rename it in case you want to save it.

Since so many have requested this, I think this should either be offered as a built in option in the next release, or at least have the instructions to do this in the first post or something.

Edited by Tim
Apparently this is Matonga's intended behavior, as this is how the Mac OS actually does it. There is a workaround to get it the way you want: go to \Program Files\RocketDock\Docklets\StackDocklet2.0 and either delete Stack.png or rename it in case you want to save it.

Since so many have requested this, I think this should either be offered as a built in option in the next release, or at least have the instructions to do this in the first post or something.

thanks, that works perfectly! :)

i think i read it somewhere, that he wants to make stackdocklet the way it works on mac. that's a pity, because it could be so much better - in the end mac isn't the measure of all things. anyway. i guess, there was already enough discussion about this, so ignore the last two sentences ;)

cheers.

I just used simple troubleshooting. I have objectdock so I made a backup of my docks settings by going to

Dock Settings --> Themes tab --->Backup bold heading ---> Save current dock ---> give it a recognizable name and click save.

Then I drug off half of my stacks docklets and restarted the computer

If objectdock crashed I kept opening it using the icon until it didn't crash. Then I restored my previous settings and removed the other stack. I did so until I found the "good" stacks (the stacks that weren't causing objectdock to crash on startup) and the bad stacks (the ones that were)

So then I removed all the icons from the bad stacks I replaced the icons and used trial and error (it was a lot of restarting the computer) to find out which icons were bad. I changed the icons of the bad icons by right clicking them

Properties ---> Shortcut Tab ---> change icon ---> hit browse and select a higher quality icon from DeviantArt.

After replacing all the bad icons I put the shortcuts back in the stack and restarted and have had no problems since

WOW THANKS! Now this IS helpful. This means icon extraction is crashing.

Now only I wish you had packed all defective icons together to send them to me. :)

I'll be doing a test bed thing soon (search all icons available in my system, even .dll and .exe ones, and pass them to icon extraction routine until it crashes).

Actually for my roomates matonga, the icon turned out to be a very low quality icon from my college's VPN client. It seemed to me that it was because the icon was really low quality. The behaviour of both of their computers was to cause objectdock to have 50% CPU on and after startup. I then ended objectdock using task manager and clicked task manager. Sometimes the behaviour repeated and I'd have to end it by task manager again. Sometimes Objectdock would just crash and I would have to click ok on the crash notification. I just kept clicking the icon until it started up normally. It seemed that if I opened objectdock quickly enough after I ended it on task manager, it started up.

I recommend that everyone else troubleshoot their docks and do matonga a favor. Test out what Icon is causing the problem if you have the same case as my roommates did.

Located in this .rar is the .exe where the icon orignates, the icon, and a lightweight standalone program that you can use to extract icons from .exe files (how I got the original .ico)

Download here

Edited by scissorhands7