Xwd Profile Manger (Outdated)

atreiu

XWD Profile Manager v2.3

Working with the all Versions of XWindows Dock (at least since Version 5.0)

What's new:

* Because I'm lazy, i added an auto-mode: To use it, you have to create a shortcut of the Profile Manager and add the parameter "/auto" to it (see screenshot). Now you can use this Shortcut to start your XWindowsDock. In the background there will be automatically created a Backup of your settings, before the start of XWD. 3 Backups are kept: autobackup-1 are from your last start, autobackup-2 from the start before that, autobackup-3 ... you know.

* I added a field where you get more information about the status of Profile Manager.

* Pimped up the Interface a little bit.

Installation:

* Put the "XWD Profile Manager.exe" into the same folder as your "XWindowsDock.exe"

* And maybe create a shortcut somewhere, to execute the program later.

Features:

This one helps you to backup & organize your XWD-Setting-Files (settings.xml, dockletdata.xml, dockitems.xml)

I coded this small utility, because i want to have different setups for my XWD, for example a dark and a bright one, or an animated and a static one, without changing every single option every time i switch between these setups.

Also in the past, some of my Docklets broke settings file, so people had to reset their Docks to the defaults. Not anymore: if you backup a working setup, you should be able to restore it, later.

Important:

This tool only backups the three xml-Files! It does not backup your skins, icons, docklets,... or anything else! So if you restore a setup, that uses a skin/icon/docklet, but you already have moved or deleted it, you will get an error!

And of course i will not take any legal (only moral ;) ) responsibility for any harm this tool does... use at you own risk, you know.

post-90085-1232266998_thumb.png

post-89-1232266998_thumb.png

XWD Profile Manager.zip

This is an excellent and much needed tool atreiu. Thank you very much! ^-^/

I'm stickying it right now! :D

ps: just a suggestion for improvement: use check boxes for the files, so that one can restore anything independently. I do understand why you did it the way you did but, even so... let the user be more responsible; a warning is enough imho. ;)

This is an excellent and much needed tool atreiu. Thank you very much! ^-^/

I'm stickying it right now! :D

ps: just a suggestion for improvement: use check boxes for the files, so that one can restore anything independently. I do understand why you did it the way you did but, even so... let the user be more responsible; a warning is enough imho. ;)

Thanks for sticking...

About your suggestion: uh, that's a tough one. Like you said, it can be very problematic to restore dockitems & dockletsdata independently. It's because of the IDs, that are used for identification. They must match between these two files. It would be no problem, if an ID is missing, but if an ID is matching the wrong Docklet.... uhhh!

No, I think such an option is of very very limited use, but can cause big problems, so I better leave it out.

Experts or Evel Knievels should restore the files independently from the profiles-folder with the backups manually, if they want. I don't want to have anything to do with it ;)

atreiu, you're my savior.

When I try to modify the settings of the dock and, for any reason it crashes, it never works again.

then I have to start customizing it from zero. today I was able to restore the settings with your app and voila! everything working again.

thank you!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...