Feature Requests For V5.6

Panta

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Bobbah: I have a little request that might not be so easy to implement -the idea would be to get the closest to the smooth 3d effect you see in the original dock-.

Take a look at this article --> http://furbo.org/2007/07/03/the-hig-still-...pecial-effects/ (an article that talks against the new 3d dock revealing all the perspective problems it has, actually. But that's not the point) I would like you to take a look at the shadows explanation:

the original dock has 2 different dynamically generated shadows. One (the shadow projected in the back) you have achieved perfectly, but there's a second shadow: one dynamically created that projects a shadow UNDER the icons. (that second shadow follows the surface of the dock and creates an even deeper sense of 3dness.

Hope you can understand what I'm talking, (and that there's a chance to implement it in future releases. ) image here--> http://furbo.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/shadows.png

Thanks man, you are a genius!

@Panta: don't move this to the Sycophants thread because of that last line, ok? ;)

That's not the point.

Just as an example: I have a *.html file. Now i don't wanna open it by it's associatet program. I have to right-klick it, go the the 'open with'-Dialog and search one of 15 programs. For me it's way easier to drag it in the app on my dock.

I hope it's traceable

I've done a first version, you might be interested. I did this really fast, so maybe something is missing or might not work like it should. But give it a try and me feedback, please:

XLauncher v0.10 ;)

I've done a first version, you might be interested. I did this really fast, so maybe something is missing or might not work like it should. But give it a try and me feedback, please:

XLauncher v0.10 ;)

Nice done! Thanks a lot ;)

Notepad works great so fare even multiple filedragging works here nicly also fireing images with PS works.

In Opera or Winamp & e-TextEditor for exaple it just opens the filenames.

I think i owe you guys something ( maybe some dock icons ;) )

@atreiu: nice docklet! :D

In fact it somehow fills a gap in XWD standard functionality: creating shortcuts!

I still think that bobah should add this functionality at the same level that File, Folder, Stack, etc. are today. Up to now I have to create a File entry, then change its configuration for achieving the same functionality...

@atreiu

I got a special request for you... (sorry if I bother you with this one)

I'd like a docklet for Windows Media Player & for iTunes, that works just like "XSongbird" does.

I request this because these are the most used players...

(maybe in the future, you could make one for Winamp too)

Ok, now i can reproduce your problem: the dock does not show up, if the Windows-Border is exactly at the bottom line of the screen (covering the XWindowsDock hotspot). If the border is some pixel below or above, everything is working fine. It looks like it has something to do with the resize-functionality. But like I said: a bug (a very minor one, imho). And like I said: it should be posted in the Bug Report Thread.

According to my first request... i suggest to add in the option panel the possibility to configure the time to make dock on top... now it appears immediately!!!

@atreiu

I got a special request for you... (sorry if I bother you with this one)

I'd like a docklet for Windows Media Player & for iTunes, that works just like "XSongbird" does.

I request this because these are the most used players...

(maybe in the future, you could make one for Winamp too)

Sorry, I don't have Itunes or WMP installed, and I don't want to install them. But I included the source-code with my XSongbird, so it should be really easy for someone to adept the code :)

Hey BOBAH, hope you can add video preview compatible with .rmvb files, this format it´s becoming very popular so I thing it will be a nice one, well and also that I have this huge .rmvb movies collection! =)

Let me know if it´s at least barely possible pls...

Greetings!

That's not the point.

Just as an example: I have a *.html file. Now i don't wanna open it by it's associatet program. I have to right-klick it, go the the 'open with'-Dialog and search one of 15 programs. For me it's way easier to drag it in the app on my dock.

I hope it's traceable

Well there is no point to have all 15 apps in your dock either :P.

I think the use of this would be better explained with other file formats. For example: you have your camera full of jpgs and you always share them with your friends, double click on them and the Windows-photo galery starts, but if in any case you want to retouch the pictures in photoshop you can just drag them to your dock icon.

Still i think is better if the dock itself has this option available instead of creating a docklet for it.

I actually thought this was possible with the dock. It is a normal "feature" on RKL when is not locked.

Hmmm havent seen the shadow direction option.

This is not crusial for the dock, and im currently very happy with the shadow options available now, only that the "lights" of the desktop wallpaper may differ from that of the dock making it a bit less uniform...

I wasn't asking for a shadow "option". What I was pointing is that the M*c dock dynamically creates (always) two different shadows giving it a deeper sense of 3D ness. (is not an option in M*c but it could be implemented as an option in XWD , the way the shadow on the wallpaper is optional at the moment. )

I'm really happy with the shadow and the overall look of XWD at the moment, but I was just asking for this detail in future releases. It's that kind of details that make the difference between M*c and almost any copy, and XWD is the closest thing to that kind of detail ( in other aspects XWD is superior, already)

Thanks!

For me, the content IS opend, if i click.

so it's a bug then

it never showed content on my system since the first version of the app

i'm on xp pro , and my desktop recycle bin is disabled ( manually through regedit )

rocketdock is showing the content though

so it's a bug then

it never showed content on my system since the first version of the app

i'm on xp pro , and my desktop recycle bin is disabled ( manually through regedit )

rocketdock is showing the content though

Well, your regedit-change might be the problem. Change it back, and see if it works.

Change it back, as atreiu said and then use the following method:

1 .click start

2. Goto RUN box (shortcut : Windows key + r)

3. Type GPEDIT.MSC

4. Select USER CONFIGURATION

5. Select ADMINISTRATIVE TEMPLATES

6. Select Desktop

7. On the right hand pane you will see a "Remove Recycle Bin icon on the desktop" , double click it and enable it.

8. Refresh your desktop and see the result.

XLauncher v0.10 ;)

A little big feature request on this docklet:

Can you make the icon jump whenever the app flashes any of it's windows? This would be a killer to have. Let me give a little example:

Let's suppose I use Pidgin to chat. Then let's suppose a new chat message arrives to the chat window. If I'm working with other app -probably fullscreen- Pidgin will flash it's chat window to call my atention. But if I install Rosie or FinderBar to emulate Leopard's Finder bar, then I can't see the window flashing in the taskbar. So, by having this in your docklet, I would at least see the icon jumping in the dock. This is exactly what happens with Adium (chat client available for Mac OS X only) when a new message arrives and you're working with another app.

@Matonga: Docklet API does not allow me to jump the Icon. It only allows me to set a CanJump value, but not to trigger the jump-event. :( Otherwise, it should be possible.

@haran: Yes, that the only function. Drag files on it, to open it with your app. Fills a gap in the default functionality, nothing more. I would be happy, too, if it could be implemented into the core.

It's strange, that one bmp opens, the other one not. Can you give me the exact filenames, inclusive path please? Maybe there are some strange characters in it or something.

Edit: I found one of the problems of XLauncher. Uploading update, soon. Please report back, if this fixes your problems with some Files not opening...

Edit2: Bugfixed version of XLauncher uploaded. Please report back, if this fixes your problems.