Feature Requests For V5.6

Panta

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sometimes, while drawing, or using the middle-button to scroll down faster, and when the mouse pointer is over the area of XWindowsDock, it interferes with the work I'm doing.

I disabled "Show Dock on Mouseover" but it is hard to show it again until I move the windows, and most of the times I do use maximized windows.

It would be great to have an option to show the dock, for example by moving the mouse's pointer in the dock's area twice, just like knocking the bottom part of the desktop area as a door.

It would be great to have an option to show the dock, for example by moving the mouse's pointer in the dock's area twice, just like knocking the bottom part of the desktop area as a door.

I like this idea! Even if i don't have much problems, because the dock only shows up, if the mouse cursor touches the screen-edge. But this Knocking feature would be something quite innovative, afaik :)

I like this idea! Even if i don't have much problems, because the dock only shows up, if the mouse cursor touches the screen-edge. But this Knocking feature would be something quite innovative, afaik :)

I second the motion ;)

About the modified gennie effect variant, it may be easier to implement than you think. ;)

Maybe as easy as adding sin(6*pi*t) to the cos(...) function.

it was what I was thinking too ;) Though the effect in compiz is a bit more randomized (so for every 1/2 period, the amplitude changes, or whatever)

By Panta: merged. ;)

What I'd really like on the subject of showing/hiding the dock is that the timer could be used to show the dock instead of to hide it.

There'd be no accidental activation of it - quite annoying imho :slant: - and the focus would immediately return to the previous application. All very fast and smooth! That's the behavior I'm used to with Object Dock, and I believe other docks adopt it too...

Very slow? where are you running it on? a Pentium II, maybe? 64/128MB RAM? Be more specific, will you?

Windows XP, athlon X2 @2GHz, 1 GB RAM @667Mhz (CAS 4), ~ 50 processes running, XWD: 2 staks, 4 docklets 15 icons @ ~34000K.

Well to be honest it is not "very slow" (considering the fa ct that it is the first dock I've heard of that has real reflections for both icons and windows) and I know that the next release will have smoother zoom effect (I've read this in the main thread) but it's not snappy. In other words, since this is a feature request thread I requested (in fact I suggested) a feature. No mater how optimized this kind of software will be I still think graphical acceleration is the way to go for various reasons (don't want to bore you because I know most of you already know what I'm talking about). And yeah I know that it is not so easy to implement this but I think the results would be great.

I admit I overreacted and I apologize for not being clear about it.

Hm... you are very strange or I don't know about programming acceleration... because use layers of windows and use acceleration... :) I'm not programming game :) and I can't understand what is exactly "slow" ?

1. I love your app. I don't have any right to question your way of coding it. I'm not even paying for it.

2. When I say graphic acceleration I mean enabling it to use the GPU to display images. I know that MS allows this with WPF in .Net (I don't know how to do WPF apps yet but I want to learn).

Edit: I don't know in what programing environment are you developing it so I may be wrong and you actually use the GPU or you can't even use it.

Take a look at the attachment.

Anyhow I don't think this is happening because it is too fast.

post-93861-1232197173_thumb.jpg

1. I love your app. I don't have any right to question your way of coding it. I'm not even paying for it.

2. When I say graphic acceleration I mean enabling it to use the GPU to display images. I know that MS allows this with WPF in .Net (I don't know how to do WPF apps yet but I want to learn).

Edit: I don't know in what programing environment are you developing it so I may be wrong and you actually use the GPU or you can't even use it.

Take a look at the attachment.

Anyhow I don't think this is happening because it is too fast.

Can't speak for bobah, just want to add some info:

Bobah is using "Layered Windows", which is an already accelerated API for 2D transition effects and transparency. More Infos on msdn.

I myself have the feeling, that actually the magnification-animation itself is quite smooth (the bug in your screenshot and some others will be gone in the next version, afaik). What makes it feel slow is, imho, that it takes quite a time to start the Magnification. I mean, if i have my cursor at the bottom left of the screen, not on the Dock yet, then move my courser on the bottom to the right in a moderate pace, then the magnification does not kick in, when my cursor touches the first icon at the left, it kicks in if my mouse already is on the 3rd or 4th icon. If I stay on the dock with my cursor, the animation is quite smooth. Getting off the dock, and in again, makes it stutter. So, my experience is, that not animation but reaction time is the problem.

Can't speak for bobah, just want to add some info:

Bobah is using "Layered Windows", which is an already accelerated API for 2D transition effects and transparency. More Infos on msdn.

I myself have the feeling, that actually the magnification-animation itself is quite smooth (the bug in your screenshot and some others will be gone in the next version, afaik). What makes it feel slow is, imho, that it takes quite a time to start the Magnification. I mean, if i have my cursor at the bottom left of the screen, not on the Dock yet, then move my courser on the bottom to the right in a moderate pace, then the magnification does not kick in, when my cursor touches the first icon at the left, it kicks in if my mouse already is on the 3rd or 4th icon. If I stay on the dock with my cursor, the animation is quite smooth. Getting off the dock, and in again, makes it stutter. So, my experience is, that not animation but reaction time is the problem.

Now I get it. Thanks atreiu (for the link too because I didn't know what are you talking about). This explains a lot.

In earlier versions bobah used a deadband of some pixels trying to improve performance; I don't know if it's still being used but could in fact be the culprit of some of those stuttered visual effects. Try this: with magnification enabled (I use 48/96), place your mouse pointer over an icon then move it veeeery slowly and you'll se what I mean...

it is portable :P everything is stored in the application folder, as far as I know. Install it and copy the folder to a usb stick and you're good to go.

Well, it's not that easy. I Sandboxied it: First of all, some Registry Entries are created. Nothing that XWD needs to run, afaik, but at least it leaves traces on the host computer. Also there seem to be at least one cache-file beeing created in the Users-Directory.

But more important: the Icon-Files are saved with absolute path, so if you don't have the icon on your second computer on exactly the same path, as on your first computer, the dock can't load it. Beside the different look, missing icon-files might cause serious problems. Same with Stacks and other Shortcuts.

These Problem an be avoided by packing XWD with one of the usual suspects of portable program launchers.

So, it's certainly possible to run XWD as a portable app, but you have to know what you are doing and where the limits are.

Ehem... so I downloaded the latest XWD... I'm loving the new features, the new stack background, etc...

But I have some problems with it.

I don't understand what the new algorithm for calculating window reflections is, but it's actually kind of disappointing. I actually like the old method, with the wallpaper and all. That worked best on my computer. If there was a checkbox to toggle between the two, I'd actually be very happy :)

Edit: after porting my new skin to the latest xwd, some glitches with window reflection went away o_O... I'd still like to reflect the wallpaper though

Stack animation choices are nice :) so is gallery mode :)

I'm assuming that none of the old docklets will work with the latest XWD, I haven't actually tested anything yet :P

And... I updated that stack animation thing I was supposed to be working on... It looks quite nice :) Has anyone looked into making animations yet?

stackanimation.zip

Bobah13:

Graphicaly speaking, XWD is a real pleasure for the skinner. I would like to show you a possibility on mac dock:

slatepreviewhx3.png

We already can set, the lower part of the reflection and it's really, really great.

My request is to implement a new line in the config.txt to set the upper part of the reflection, like seen in the picture. It would be awesome.

Thank you.