Some questions about task bar in XP

Bookbear

I am very new to RK Launcher. I have not yet installed or run the program, but I have a couple of questions. Can (or will) the program replace the Windows Task Bar? i.e. if I Drag the Task Bar down so it disappears, is there a way to get the Start button on the RK Launcher dock? Can the recycle bin reside there?

How difficult is it to assign a png icon to a given program? Is there a function in the program to do this?

My goal is to empty my desktop of everything but the dock and essentially run the computer from there.

Finally, does the program uninstall cleanly and easily? (I have an almost phobic fear of programs that crash the computer and then cannot be uninstalled... it's happened twice and took days of angst to solve.)

Thanks in advance for any and all help, and have a peaceful New Year!

I am very new to RK Launcher. I have not yet installed or run the program, but I have a couple of questions. Can (or will) the program replace the Windows Task Bar? i.e. if I Drag the Task Bar down so it disappears, is there a way to get the Start button on the RK Launcher dock? Can the recycle bin reside there?

How difficult is it to assign a png icon to a given program? Is there a function in the program to do this?

My goal is to empty my desktop of everything but the dock and essentially run the computer from there.

Finally, does the program uninstall cleanly and easily? (I have an almost phobic fear of programs that crash the computer and then cannot be uninstalled... it's happened twice and took days of angst to solve.)

Thanks in advance for any and all help, and have a peaceful New Year!

Dude,

from one newbie to another, rest easy. These things can be done (or at least some of them I think).

If you go into the settings menu whilst running RK, you should see an option to "Hide Taskbar", and "Run at startup". Check both of these boxes and these functions will be performed.

I have not found a way(yet) of putting a shortcut to the dock. I am using Xwindows dock at the moment, which is just sooo cool, and so I haven't played with RK for a while. I found it far quicker simply to tap the windows key, but I know what you mean about running everything from the dock.

RK Launcher doesn't install, It's simply an .exe file, so you have no worries about having to uninstall it.

Another tip is to right-click on the desktop, go into the "Arrange Icons By" label and uncheck the "Show desktop icons" label, and hey presto, clean desktop!

Finally, to assign a .png icon, simply right-click the chosen program on the dock and go into "Dock Item Properties", there you should see a tab to change icon. Find the folder, select the icon, and you're away!

Scan the forums for additional icon sets, it really depends on what type of feel you're trying to create.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...