windows xp themes

hi everyone i love these forums but i needed some help. Lately i was trying to macnize my dell computer. I installed safair theme for firefox dowloaded the rk launcher(love it ) and cursors and the wallpaper. The only thing missing was the apple theme. I tireid to put an apple heme it didnt work. i used smooth stipies 4 theme it didnt work. i installed ftaylite 3 and still no apple taksbar or any close/maximize/minimze icons... Then i tired other xp themes and they didnt work.... i dunno wat to do guys.. i would really be grateful if u helped since u guys r the 'tech ppl"

thanks in advance

Momin Sheikh

If these are msstyle themes you need to replace the uxtheme.dll file.

You can get it here:

XP Service Pack 1

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhan...-included.shtml

XP Service Pack 2

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhan...SP2-Final.shtml

XP Service Pack 3

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enh...ws-XP-SP3.shtml

Now you are ready to replace your uxtheme.dll file

The replacer can be downloaded here: http://www3.telus.net/_/replacer/

1. Now double click on the replacer file (replacer.cmd)

2. Then it will ask you to drag and drop the original system file you want to replace. So go to the System32 folder and somewhere near the bottom you are going to see the uxtheme.dll file. Drag and drop it into the window.

Note: your computer may have more than 1 uxtheme.dll file but usually the file that your computer is using is the one in the system32 folder. (usually the location for your Uxtheme.dll file is C:WINDOWSsystem32uxtheme.dll)

3. Press Enter

4. Then it will ask you to drag the file you want to replace. Open the folder with the downloaded file and drag and drop the file into replacer.

5. Now it will ask you to confirm that you want to replace the files or not. So double check and then press enter.

Replacer will now swap your original file with the new one. Now restart your computer.

Congratulations you can now use custom msstyle themes on your computer.

Intrepid i did wat u said and big trouble......... i did wat u said and i rebooted my computer and now the screen is blank....i opened taks manager and this stupid thing keeps saying The application or DLL C:/windows/system32/ustheme.dll is not a valid windows image. plz check this agaisnt your installation disk..havent told mom or dad or anyone cause im relaly scared......can u plz help me mail me as soon as possible:( im really sacared plz try to find a soultion 4 this.......

Intrepid i did wat u said and big trouble......... i did wat u said and i rebooted my computer and now the screen is blank....i opened taks manager and this stupid thing keeps saying The application or DLL C:/windows/system32/ustheme.dll is not a valid windows image. plz check this agaisnt your installation disk..havent told mom or dad or anyone cause im relaly scared......can u plz help me mail me as soon as possible:( im really sacared plz try to find a soultion 4 this.......

If you have (system restore) which is set to be on by default you can roll back the changes by going to the Control Panel then Performance and Maintenance then click on the system restore button on the top left corner and role back to a previous date before you the uxtheme.dll file.

This way of replacing the uxtheme.dll has always worked without a hitch for me, I have also used replacer.cmd to replace other system files with out a problem so I don't know how it could have failed.

What Phoshi said is very true, this isn't that difficult. You shouldn't have done this on the family pc for starters, and you should have know to backup the uxtheme.dll file so you could replace it if this goes wrong and system restore should always be turned on when changing system files. These are common sense procedures. I guess I should have added them to my post. I forget sometimes that not everyone started with dos and win 3.1.

If system restore was on it should have fixed it. You can always place the windows disc in and repair your system that way. Use repair not reformat.

first of all yea what he said is right and wat u said is rite too but here is the situation. i cant acess any programs except firefox so i cant acess the control panel becaue there is no taks bar or icons and all i use is rk launcher and windows task mangaer.........................................................................

....................any other way i could get system restore..............................i never shoudlve mesed with this whole theme bisness............................