Windows 7 vs Snow Leopard

I would have to say Windows 7 is better, I'm using it right now and it is amazing. :)

And you're also using Snow Leopard ???

lol but yes I do agree, windows 7 is looking amazing. As for Snow Leopard, its like Apple's keeping it all top secret... like an everlasting gobstopper being locked up in Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory;

"No one ever goes in, and no one ever comes out"

... Though they have said the secret will lie in the very 'core' of the gobstopper!

• 2 weeks later...

Apple is keeping everything locked up because...

...M$ is showing up with a good marketing counter-offensive...

...Or they are trapping Windows into another trick of false safety(before a surprise attack, perhaps?)...

...Or they made a deal with each other to interchange and share the glory every season...

...Or nothing intricate has been made and they are just following Natural Selection...

Who knows?

Not to nitpick, but the reason people that purchased machines with Leopard preinstalled didn't line up to downgrade to Tiger is because when Apple releases a machine with a specific OS, that is the minimum that it can run. Plus, since retail copies of Tiger were PPC only and new machines are Intel, that goes into effect as well.

Now, don't get me wrong. A lot of people were happy Leopard and had no issues. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them and didn't start using Leopard until 10.5.4 was released. The good thing is that my machine was running great with Tiger and so I had no need to upgrade...until I bought a new iMac this summer and to force myself to like Leopard. After a day or so of tweaking, I'm happy with it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Pssh, all this talk of using GPUs as another processor makes me chuckle. Where does that leave Macbook users like me with this integrated Intel garbage? I LOL everytime I hear it referred to as a "GPU", "stinking pile of garbage" would be better I think. Don't get me wrong, I love my Macbook but it chokes on some things with this Intel "GPU". I'm currently holding out for an Nvidia based Mini as a desktop/multimedia PC to pair up with my Sony XBR6 TV.

• 3 months later...

Windows 7 or Snow Leopard?

Lets look at what we know so far.

Snow Leopard-

Is focusing on rewriting its core architecture.

8bit -rewrite would be ground up new and true 64bit -still better then windows -so that doesnt mean a rewrite

It'll have clever innovations and stellar performance on high performance machines. Above anything in its class.

Better 3D performance,not true 3d

Snow leopard is focusing not on its features but rather performance, stability and compatibility. It will pave the way for insanely good future hardware and future software features and innovations.

bs its so far behind it would take 10 years to maybe gt to the 1.0 of Amiga workbench -Amiga is insanely the best hardware out there ask Intel they bought it out for that reason-

Itanium=Ps3 came out of it. Besides u build the software around the hardware not the other way around for truely best performance.

Still anything is better then windos

Windows 7-

Build's upon Vista's solid core. Yes, Vista while a bloated OS, still had good core architecture perhaps even better than that of Leopard.

what are u on its still a pos -jsut a better pos lol

FACT not going to respond to people that know nothing about hardware muchless os or refuse to belive the truth yet are going the same way the Amiga has been for over20 years ago.

respond to [email protected] ,-look that name up youll see a bit of history

Seriously, what is so special and good about Windows 7 that some want us to think so. I really want to know what are the "outstanding" features that are inside of it ?

dock ?

split screen ?

are these the things that make you wow ? Top post need to be more informative. As by now from what I've seen on lots of demos I couldn't find these "wows"

^ probably the fact it doesn't suck.

It delivers everything we wanted from Vista without the fat.

...Now im not very political, and dont know what the political climate is like in the US but...

Perhaps I would be right in saying its like Barrack Obama.

He may not be the most amazing leader (though I think very highly of him) but he doesnt suck like his predecessor. He is good, and he is what the world needs at the moment.

Perhaps thats why we like Windows 7.

... Now to talk a little less abstract, I think windows 7 does have some very nice refinements- the taskbar and window switching/sizing methods for example, in my opinion is even more practical than the Mac OSX dock and previous windows taskbars combined.

Also, performance I have noticed to be above that of Windows XP... even with the snazzy new features.

This is what an upgrade should feel like; us mac users are used to upgrades being smooth- new features and better performance. The same could not be said for Windows- Me, Vista.

^ probably the fact it doesn't suck.

it still does suck

It delivers everything we wanted from Vista without the fat.

...Now im not very political, and dont know what the political climate is like in the US but...

Perhaps I would be right in saying its like Barrack Obama.

He may not be the most amazing leader (though I think very highly of him) but he doesnt suck like his predecessor. He is good, and he is what the world needs at the moment.

Perhaps thats why we like Windows 7.

... Now to talk a little less abstract, I think windows 7 does have some very nice refinements- the taskbar and window switching/sizing methods for example, in my opinion is even more practical than the Mac OSX dock and previous windows taskbars combined.

Also, performance I have noticed to be above that of Windows XP... even with the snazzy new features.

that part is true

hey alabanco yeah levi is a FOOL his posting prove that so I would say iggy him and his FOOLISH remarks aka

why do I quote not rewrite u fool so people will know what u are talking about. good communication skills something obama lacks

obama isn't president -one he wasnt born in the us -Hawaii was a territory bone head

obama has committed treason on several occasions and during war so that act is to be hung or shot

he lied

he isnt a christian

to many problems to go on

Bush is a Christian never lied wasnt perfect but only CHRIST is

bush won the war with IRAQ and said that on the deck of the CVB-and I quote "we will win ths war on Terriosm even though it will last beyond my administration"

now we are losing thanks to obama

yep u dont no much about politics that you proved and admited especially with your support on/of obama

This is what an upgrade should feel like; us mac users are used to upgrades being smooth- new features and better performance. The same could not be said for Windows- Me, Vista.

if this is what an upgrade should feel like then we are dead in the water-wait we are with this

Get an Amiga and feel true power -wait Itanium=PS3 same thing

HERE ENDTH THE LESSON

I decided to test by myself what Windows 7 looks like and must say that I wasn't excited. I tried to be neutral but I can't get away from the feeling that all these flashes and lights are so aggressive and inappropriate.

I know that it can be the war of tastes however I won't state that win 7 is smth extraordinary and innovative. Funny thing but windows 7 makes me like Leopard even more and use XP as an alternative OS. Now I have stronger feeling why people tend to stay at XP - xp did its job.

Edited by alabanco
  • 1 month later...
rofl :)

Kawsie, if it worked like that, we'd all be using DOS.

u still do all it is being both mac and windows is dos based with a shell

Amiga os is gui from ground up-main reason and superb architecture -truly -thats its so small -6megs rue real time multitasking true 64bit -modular

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

New generation of Macintosh OS-X "Snow Leopard" to suport Cocoa Finder and ImageBoot

" Apple next-generation Snow Leopard operating system will introduce a massive re-write of the Mac OS X Finder and debut a new feature called ImageBoot.

Cocoa-based Finder

People familiar with matter say the Finder, which currently stands as one of the oldest Carbon-based applications in the Mac OS portfolio, has been completely re-written in the company's native object-oriented application program environment called Cocoa.

Apple has reportedly tapped select members of its developer community to begin testing the updated graphical file system manager as part of a new pre-release copy of Snow Leopard belonging to the build train 10Axxx. In addition, many of the Apple-authored applications accompany the new build are also said to have been wrapped completely in Cocoa.

Microsoft Exchange Support

Other advances are also present in the new test software, such as broader support for Microsoft Exchange 2007 in Snow Leopard's versions of iCal, Address Book and Mail. The implementation of Exchange support remains a work in progress, according to those familiar with the matter. As such, Apple has reportedly asked that developers focus their testing efforts on a subset of Exchange capabilities, such as scheduling events in iCal, adding contacts to Address Book 5.0, and automated account configuration in Mail.

ImageBoot

When it makes its debut, likely at WWDC 2009, Snow Leopard will also introduce a new, third option for disc image-based installation called ImageBoot. Based on Apple's existing NetBoot technology, which allows Macs to boot from a remote disk over the network, ImageBoot will allow users to set up any number of disk images on a secondary partition or external drive, and then selectively boot their system from any one of those disk images at startup.

This new feature will allow users to set up a series of test environments or uniquely configured Mac OS X systems, store the bootable systems as discrete disk images, and subsequently store multiple boot targets on the same disk or partition. Currently, only one bootable Mac OS X installation can be stored on a given disk partition.

With ImageBoot, multiple NetBoot sets can be maintained locally on the same storage partition, and the user can select any one of the disk images available to boot from without having to restore or mount the disk image first. The result is a system that works similar to virtualization software such as Parallels, which can create disk images for different PC operating systems and selectively boot from any of them. The difference is that Mac OS X isn't booting up in a virtual environment; it actually boots a fully native Mac OS X system. "

'ars technica'.

Thanks for posting.It is a very useful information specially the information about ImageBoot.

• 4 weeks later...
Will also be rewriting the dated quicktime and giving it notable performance and compatibility (perhaps even wmv/divx out of the box)- this is important because quicktime is used extensively throughout the OS.

I, for one, hope that Apple won't be supporting Microsoft's proprietary and useless WMV, nor DivX (because it breaks the MPEG-4 standard in various ways, such as packed bitstream and avi container etc.) and Apple has no obligation to support commercial and very proprietary software products by other players like DivX and Microsoft, when Apple has already implemented and supported the MPEG-4 standard in Quicktime. It's not Apple's fault that Microsoft and DivX Inc. broke the MPEG-4 standard. What you're asking for is like saying Apple should add support for MSHTML in Safari. Why? Apple shouldn't support broken standards made by proprietary companies. Apple is doing a good job by not implementing DivX and WMV. Hopefully, Apple keeps it that way.

Other than that, I wouldn't recommend using Quicktime.

What do you think?

I think Apple is better at supporting industry and open standards than Microsoft, but Apple also has its serious flaws when it comes to quality. For example, they still haven't implemented MPEG-4 ASP in quicktime (MPEG-4 SP is very limited in quality and performance).

What I appreciate with Windows 7 is that it took Microsoft 50 years to finally add support for MPEG-4. So WMV will finally be rendered useless because now Windows natively supports MPEG-4.

Edited by EliasAlucard
  • 8 months later...