Do Schools *really* need these damned machines?!

Here I am, sitting here typing on a Dell Latitude D630. 3GB of RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz- 4MB L2 cache with 667MHz FSB, Windows XP Pro, 802.11n wireless, Bluetooth 2.1, Ambient Light Sensor, and a 14" 1440x900 glossy screen.

WTF?! Do Schools really need computers like this?? A waste of money! As I'm looking through the BIOS, you know what I find? I find that Bluetooth is disabled, along with ambient light sensor, and that the resolution is fixed at 1280x800. Yeah, taxpayers' dollars at work.

>_>. We need new IT guys, ones who don't believe that linux is for noobs and Win2k8 is *the* server's Operating System... IOW, they're complete n00bs. Not that they can't just be n00bs, but they think they're so l33t.

Okay, gonna stop ranting now, but does anyone actually see any advantages in having some freshman have access to 3GB of RAM, and all these extra features? Get some cheapo Vostros, FFS, not a $2000 Latitude.

It just pains me. Anyone else share my pain?

For the longest time, my school had the worst Gateway laptops. They were terrible, took like 15 minutes to log in.

Actually, we still have them. But next year we'll be getting Macbooks. :)

We've already got classrooms full of brand new 20" iMacs, and we've even got extra that they throw in random rooms to never get used (case in point, there's two iMacs in my culinary room. Never been turned on.)

Here I am, sitting here typing on a Dell Latitude D630. 3GB of RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz- 4MB L2 cache with 667MHz FSB, Windows XP Pro, 802.11n wireless, Bluetooth 2.1, Ambient Light Sensor, and a 14" 1440x900 glossy screen.

WTF?! Do Schools really need computers like this?? A waste of money! As I'm looking through the BIOS, you know what I find? I find that Bluetooth is disabled, along with ambient light sensor, and that the resolution is fixed at 1280x800. Yeah, taxpayers' dollars at work.

>_>. We need new IT guys, ones who don't believe that linux is for noobs and Win2k8 is *the* server's Operating System... IOW, they're complete n00bs. Not that they can't just be n00bs, but they think they're so l33t.

Okay, gonna stop ranting now, but does anyone actually see any advantages in having some freshman have access to 3GB of RAM, and all these extra features? Get some cheapo Vostros, FFS, not a $2000 Latitude.

It just pains me. Anyone else share my pain?

It's called longevity. Get something with some reliability and horsepower and you won't have to upgrade it as often.

As for Linux, it's not mainstream in the corporate world.

Most corporations primarily use Windows on their servers and desktops.

It's not about being l33t, it's about being functionally compatible across your enterprise.

And being an owner of a "cheapo" Vostro desktop, I can tell you they are cheap for a reason. Mines been repaired twice already and I haven't had it 4 months yet.

My Latitude laptop smokes it in reliability.

You get what you pay for.

Want to know what happens every year? We get all new PCs, and the old ones are thrown out. That's right *thrown out*. There's a place in the basement of the school where all "old" PCs are thrown into a massive pile and then sent away to be melted down. That means the $1800 machines we bought this year go down to be thrown out next year.

I wrote up a better post -- I'm going to edit my original one to be more clear.

i went to a private school. We had one PC lab with reasonable (not excessive) speced PCs, but we also had two Mac labs with the latest iMacs (updated every time Apple did a complete refresh) - usually the mid range model...

I thought that was pretty cool.

But yeah, certainly don't need the specs like the one above you said. Perhaps have 6 of those computers reserved for people who need the power- eg, someone making a film etc... but give the rest something more basic.

The PCs at my school are 2.5GHz dual core, 2GB RAM, 8500GT powered beasties.

They use CRT monitors with a native res of 1024x768, and download the entire ****ing HDD every time they're booted up (Supposedly to prevent people from putting batch files in startup and shit), and are never defragmented.

Result: 5 minute bootup times, and the awful logon system they use (Novell client SP4, or something <_<) means logging on is a slow, laggy affair. 2.5GHz, and it freaking lags!

Well, my :( old school (SPA Seniors 2008 4 ever) have the most wonderful PCs of all. It has Windows Vista Business with a shitty 528 RAM Memory with 1.64 GHz Intel Celeron and with a HD approximately of 80 GB. -OH, and the best part was getting the damn PC to log in, in the mean while that the PC boot on, you could go to Dunkin Donuts, have two Boston Cream donuts and a Frapuccino and when you return, the damn PC was still booting ! -OH Good memories.

¬¬ Only if the school is teaching it's children to create their own 3-D game environment or to create a 3-D 176 stories tall skyscraper. But that's stupid.

PD: XD And the funniest part, is that the school is buying IMACS!!! for next year. Ohhhhh they hate us 'till the very end. :P

yeah but my school gives photoshop and ilustrator courses and animation courses and the comps suck

Really? Wow, the only bloody thing they thought us in school was Pay Roll (Still have nightmares with that), Excel, Power Point and a little Word. But really depends on the school budget :/

bah, my school used to have decent computers. iMac G4's and eMac's running Tiger. Ran pretty smoothly and weren't that great, so no complaints. My new school though has a really weird range of comp. There are some old dells with WINDOWS 98. and then there are also iMac G5's and newer dell desktops.... a lot of different ones

I wish my Computer Business Applications (CBA) class had iMacs. Instead, we have really crappy HP Desktops with those old monitors that take up space. If anything they should have Flat Panel monitors. When I was at the middle school they had a computer lab with bulky monitors and had a nice new lab with flat panels.

we have HPs and Acer Desks here everywhere at the university. They are pretty decent. Logon takes 12 secs max. Its a university what can you expect. Next month they are promising that uni will have a 100% wireless coverage which is awesome but also sad because no speed increase and only more users on the network. But it would be kewl browsing from my cell phone in class aye?

My school finally got some new computers. In the science labs and in the mechanics room we still have got the old ones (except for one or two) while the library have got the shiny ones. My mechanics lessons imply a lot of 3D modelling (solidworks), and even if the new computers are 2ghz C2D, modelling on computers with GMA 950 really sucks.

here's how old i am: when i was in school, we didn't have computers. it's true! as a matter of fact, there were no consumer pc's until i was in my 20's. that's right: no innarwebs, no pr0n, no aqua-anything. hell, we didn't have pocket calculators. we did math by hand (the horror!) and if you wanted to research something, you went to a building with a lot of books in it. i forget what it's called. the bookatorium, i think.

Well our school must have 10 different computer labs o_O. We have shiny keyboards and shiny computers, but for some reason they stick to those fat cream coloured CRT monitors :o

Coding on those things is a nightmare. CMD is disabled (we managed to find a loophole) and you can't access the file I/O to read/write files since everything is on networked drives. And what's with the firefox-phobia?