Windows vs Walls... Windows 7 heading in the right direction?

http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS/windows-vs-walls.aspx

After a flurry of misdirected "Im a PC" adds and the Sienfeld fiasco (which I admit, are still on the site), I thought this picture and the site in general was particularly inspiring.

The website is clean looking, its more in sync than ever for a microsoft 'product' edit- for the most part it doesnt contain pages of all different information that doesnt fit... it all flows.

I think Microsoft is finally starting to get it... Do you think after looking at this site, and the windows 7 screenshots that windows 7 itself might hold some real promise?

PS- someone want to turn that image into a wallpaper?

Thanx for the wall.

@Phoshi- I agree the marketting is Apple like, yet somehow its Not... its truly its own. Loving the new font, its a little less comical than Apple's Myriad Pro- more serious but refreshing...

I think M$ need to rethink aero a little- tune it down a bit. They've done a good job (judging by the windows 7 screenshots) in 'unifying' the inside of the window and making it less secular. But i think the rest of the window (especially the titlebar) needs to be made more practical.

Also im intrigued by the new taskbar. This is something ive been pondering about for a while as to how to design a 'new' one without completely copying 'the dock'... will be interesting to see how well the icon style is implemented.

A great thing that Microsoft is doing for Windows7 [which is the official name no Vienna or whatever], is that they will provide links to download email applications and photo-viewers instead of bringing the crap that vista brought. Microsoft is gonna ask the major PC manufactures like HP and Dell to provide links to Windows Live for the mail, messenger. and photo gallery.

But just like they're gonna do for the Live, and this goes with Levi's reasoning for fixing up Aero, is to provide their own application for building and applying 3rdParty .msstyles (Visual styles). Instead of having to patch up the Windows OS and possibly ****ing it up, to just give us that option. Heck they said thhat they were gonna rename Themes to Styles and that the personalization feature is going to redesigned and easier to use. Does anyone agree with me on this?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh and for people who like the Vista cursors but want more colors to them, download my pack on DA http://Maikeru-sama.deviantart.com/art/Win...Glass-102388042 . Its really great, go check it out.

No, Windows 7 will not come with any applications. To get applications, you must log on to Windows Live, and download them. Microsoft hopes to use this as a strategy to take down Google. By forcing people to go onto live, they also hope to force people to use Live search.

It's typical Microsoft, nothings changed.

No, Windows 7 will not come with any applications. To get applications, you must log on to Windows Live, and download them. Microsoft hopes to use this as a strategy to take down Google. By forcing people to go onto live, they also hope to force people to use Live search.

hmm... Im not entirely sure I like that approach... I think they should at least be optional extras on the disk. (Unlike XP/vista which for example forces you to install internet explorer)

I think if Microsoft does take the online strategy; they should still design thier own apps, host them online and put some non-invasive advertising within the OS to let people know they are free downloads from live.com/

For example if you were in the pictures folder organising photos or in a folder properties dialogue it could say "Do more with your photos, visit Live.com to download the latest FREE photo gallery software"

By forcing people to go onto live, they also hope to force people to use Live search.

Ehhh! Live search is terrible! Do Microsoft actually think that they can tumble down Google? Only if Microsoft comes with something revolutionary people could switch to Live, but if they stay the same way, Live Search is pretty screw up :P

hmm... Im not entirely sure I like that approach... I think they should at least be optional extras on the disk. (Unlike XP/vista which for example forces you to install internet explorer)

Actually, Windows 7 will (more likely than not) fully integrate Internet Explorer into it's OS, so it'll no longer be a stand alone program. After all, they're pushing for cloud computing with Windows 7. (To use Word, etc, you'll log onto live, and it'll be online, similar to Google's apps.)

Nothing will really be stored on your hard drive, it'll all be on the cloud. Essentially, your computer will be a gateway to access your files.

@iTim - yeah i realise that, I was just using internet explorer as an example- and a bad one in hindsight :P

As for cloud computing, it wont be Windows 7- but rather Windows Azure... they will I think release both OS' at similar times, and I think at the moment Azure is more aimed at business. Some concepts may be in Windows 7 though as you say- like certain programs you may need to attain online etc.

Im not a fan of cloud computing- I like to feel as though I own my computer... especially after the amount of annoying revamps hotmail->live went through. I ended up switching to gmail and using apple's mail/thunderbird on my own computer to get away from it.