Jump to content

When Do You Charge Your Laptop Batteries?


Recommended Posts

Laptop dealers recommend you to let the battery get as low as possible ans then charge it completely in one go. I even had one advising me to take out the battery when I'm plugged on the mains.

However, doing that on my laptop, it tended to tilt backward because the battery also acts as a counterweight to balance the machine. A friend of mine, whom I advised to remove his battery because he uses his laptop as a desktop, now has problem with the battery connectors of his Compaq.

Link to post
Laptop dealers recommend you to let the battery get as low as possible ans then charge it completely in one go. I even had one advising me to take out the battery when I'm plugged on the mains.

However, doing that on my laptop, it tended to tilt backward because the battery also acts as a counterweight to balance the machine. A friend of mine, whom I advised to remove his battery because he uses his laptop as a desktop, now has problem with the battery connectors of his Compaq.

Laptop dealers recommend this, because the battery is breaking down faster. A battery needs to be used and loaded, just plug it in if you have the possibility. My Laptop battery is now 2 years old and I have it plugged in whenever I can. I still have 2h batterylife, like when I got the Laptop.

Link to post

My main laptop is always stationary, so it's always plugged in. The only time I'm on battery is when the power gets interrupted, or if I'm moving my desk around -- which would only take a few mintues. Since the battery is 99% of the time idle, I still have 100% health, meaning same life as when I got it new last October.

My Mac on the other hand, is my on-the-go machine. It's on battery about 30% of the time, and the other 70% is plugged in. Still 97% health on the battery, so I'm not worried.

Link to post

On your first charge, your meant to wait for the battery to go flat, and then charge it to 100% so it can get a proper first charge. But after the first charge, when the sign comes up saying that you should plug your laptop into a power outlet, that's when you should do it. When it's around 10% and then charge it until it reaches 100%.

Link to post

I start recharging every time when my battery reaches the critical state. Sometimes it even starts to go into hibernation.

With my Acer (my previous laptop), I used to load everytime it reached 15% and after two years, I only got a battery life of 15 min. at most. (it could also just depend on the brand lol)

Link to post
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest ianholt60

Hi all.

I have got acer notebook having 8 hours of backup so charging is not an issue for me.

Whenever i get time i plugged it in the socket.

Edited by ianholt60
Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, i heard that heat is also a main cause of bad battery life, so try to keep it cool. But I plug my Compaq in most of the time, because when the battery is fully charged, the computer starts drawing power directly from the socket, not the battery. So that spares it a bit. You can also use the computer without the battery in, like a desktop if you are realy worried about it's lifespan. Some laptops like Compaq (HP) come with battery health monitoring software that can tell you when they have gone or are starting to go bad.

Link to post
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...