Advice on external LCD monitors for my MacBookPro

zambie

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at getting an external monitor (22"-24") range to compliment my MBP. I'm presently in India which is severely debilitating my options - the electronics market has a long way to catch up. Anyways, I wanted a monitor that I'll be using for

1. a bit of gaming (fifia, crysis, battlefield, need for speed)

2. watching movies, shows (some in HD print)

3. and being able to have a multitude of windows open all over the screen and not be very restricted by screen real estate.

options i've looked at

Samsung T220 Features

Samsung T220 Specs

and

Samsung Series 4 la22a450 features

Samsung Series 4 la22a450 specs

Other issues:

The one thing I'm wondering about is whether 1680x1050 resolution is good enough for a 22" or whether 1920x1200 is a better resolution for such screen sizes.

The other thing is, the T220 is doesn't have an HDMI, while the la22a450 does. What are the disadvantages of not having the HDMI port? I've heard that the HDMI is basically in rudimentary terms - the DVI along with the audio signal, while the DVI doesn't carry audio? Is this the case?

Are there any monitors in this price range having the same quality that have USB ports embedded in them?

Of the two monitors, which one would you recommend me to take ?

Do you think the two i've mentioned above are good monitors?

Do not get anything that uses TN-Film if you can help it. Dell UltraSharps and Apple Cinemas are the only displays I can think of that use *far* superior alternatives, and they are well worth it.

With TN-Film you are limited to 6bit color, meaning that it can only access a pallet of 65,536 colors, which results in half-assed screen dithering to mimic true 8bit color. The UltraSharp uses an S-PVA panel and the Apple Cinema Display uses an S-IPS panel, both of which are truly 8-bit and can access a full 167,000,000 color pallet. The UltraSharp is both better and cheaper than the Cinema Display as well.

DELL ULTRASHARP 2408WFP

-That right there is exactly what you need. :)

You could always get an LCD TV. Sharp makes very nice TV's that can be used as a monitor. I think the 42" Aquos has a 1920 x 1200 display.

Definitely not a good idea. A 30" UltraSharp would be far superior to a TV of a similar size.

42" would be absolutely ****ing ridiculous anyways. The HDTV in my room is either 40" or 42" and I refuse to use it for anything aside from watching movies due to the screen refresh lag and the blown up resolution. I mean, really, who in the year 2008 wants a stretched out screen resolution? Not me for sure.

Do not get anything that uses TN-Film if you can help it. Dell UltraSharps and Apple Cinemas are the only displays I can think of that use *far* superior alternatives, and they are well worth it.

With TN-Film you are limited to 6bit color, meaning that it can only access a pallet of 65,536 colors, which results in half-assed screen dithering to mimic true 8bit color. The UltraSharp uses an S-PVA panel and the Apple Cinema Display uses an S-IPS panel, both of which are truly 8-bit and can access a full 167,000,000 color pallet. The UltraSharp is both better and cheaper than the Cinema Display as well.

DELL ULTRASHARP 2408WFP

-That right there is exactly what you need. :)

Definitely not a good idea. A 30" UltraSharp would be far superior to a TV of a similar size.

42" would be absolutely ****ing ridiculous anyways. The HDTV in my room is either 40" or 42" and I refuse to use it for anything aside from watching movies due to the screen refresh lag and the blown up resolution. I mean, really, who in the year 2008 wants a stretched out screen resolution? Not me for sure.

Firstly a 42" is way way way over what I'm looking for, so those are out of the question. I understand the point being raised about TN panels vis-a-vis S-IPS etc sort of panels. Trust me, if I had more options available here, I'ld go for them. I'm willing to shell out to the tune of USD800 - 900 for a monitor which, if I were residing in the US would get me the 23" Apple Cinema Display. However, the Apple Cinema Display costs about 1200 USD in India, and the ultrasharp costs about 1000-1100 USD. Both being just too expensive for me to be taking a bite at them.

I've heard that Samsung has put behind its dodgy QC issues that were plaguing a couple of the other 20-22" monitors they had brought out (they were using TN panels from other manufacturers, as well as their own (which are generally the better of the TN panels available in the market).

I'm getting these two monitors at about 300-350USD range.

Um, no. The 20" Dell UltraSharp is 15,000 rupees, which is like $300. The 24" is 21,107 rupees, which is about $400. :P

Honestly I don't like Samsung and their products at all. What they have is inferior and overpriced in comparison to most competitors, and there's also the fact that their service absolutely sucks.

Um, no. The 20" Dell UltraSharp is 15,000 rupees, which is like $300. The 24" is 21,107 rupees, which is about $400. :P

Honestly I don't like Samsung and their products at all. What they have is inferior and overpriced in comparison to most competitors, and there's also the fact that their service absolutely sucks.

Actually, the dell 20" ultrasharp is 15K as you mentioned, the normal (not ultrasharp version) of the 24" is 21K, while the ultrasharp 24" model is 50K (double :P). For some reason I'm not inclined to go for 20" ... I'ld rather bump up to a 24" than go down 2"; and unfortunately, dell doesn't have an ultrasharp 22" model.

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/c...bsd1&l=en&s=bsd

Actually, the dell 20" ultrasharp is 15K as you mentioned, the normal (not ultrasharp version) of the 24" is 21K, while the ultrasharp 24" model is 50K (double :P). For some reason I'm not inclined to go for 20" ... I'ld rather bump up to a 24" than go down 2"; and unfortunately, dell doesn't have an ultrasharp 22" model.

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/c...bsd1&l=en&s=bsd

Ah, well that's pretty damned retarded. :P

Either way 1680x1050 is a good resolution, especially if you're only going to be doing the things you listed. If you were an artist or something it would be different, but 20" is great for casual usage. Trust me, man, you'll be much, much, much happier with a 20" UltraSharp than you will be with a 24" alternative. I have no doubts about it.

Ah, well that's pretty damned retarded. :P

Either way 1680x1050 is a good resolution, especially if you're only going to be doing the things you listed. If you were an artist or something it would be different, but 20" is great for casual usage. Trust me, man, you'll be much, much, much happier with a 20" UltraSharp than you will be with a 24" alternative. I have no doubts about it.

The HP w2207h might be perfect for you. It is a very good screen. My PS3 looks really really good on it.

Dell's ftw, 2nd place HP. Cinema Displays' response times are horrid.

Hmm... checked it out on the website; unfortunately that model isn't available in India; however, this is -

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/in/en/sm/WF...67-3648453.html

It's the HP 2275, and seems to have quite decent specs. Any feedback on this model?

I'm going to check the 2275 out, as well as the ultrasharp series of dell. However, I've come to know that the 20" ultrasharp is a TN panel. Can anyone confirm this? Is there a substantial size difference between 20 & 22" monitors?

I'm going to check the 2275 out, as well as the ultrasharp series of dell. However, I've come to know that the 20" ultrasharp is a TN panel. Can anyone confirm this? Is there a substantial size difference between 20 & 22" monitors?

No, the 20" UltraSharp uses a S-PVA.

There's really no point in having a 22" monitor as opposed to a 20", unless you just like having a bigger screen in general. The width will be 50pixels wider (which is pretty useless) and the height will be 150px less, so really you'll be losing a lot of valuable verticle space.