XWindows Dock v5.2.3

BOBAH13

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(please read the whole message, it's important for the dock's development, THANKS)

Your dock is actually THE BEST. I used to use RocketDock, but when I found your program, I uninstalled RocketDock inmmediatelly.

Finally, somebody made a dock exactly like Leopard's Dock: YOU.

Stacks are amazing and mirror effect is great.

That's why I'm proud of your effort in this program development. THANK YOU.

But there are some features that would make this dock even more better (I asure you):

STACKS:

1.The little icons which represent the stack's content should be optional, because I want to use an specific icon for my stack but these "representative icons" make my "specific icon" look very bad. So I would like these "representative icons" to be optional, you could put this option in the right click's EDIT option.

2.Stacks would be more comfortable if they DON'T move after you make click on it (it happens when magnification is enabled). Because, when I want to select the first object in a fan stack, I can't put the mouse over the first icon that i want to use. I think this is very necessary because stacks are bothering when they "follow the dock's movement". Of course you should make this as an option, because some people like moving stacks, some others don't like it, you know.

*For you to understand what I mean, please watch the two images I attached (the thumnail too).

MIRROR EFFECT:

It would be nicer if you make an option which lets the mirror have a gradient from the edge of the screen. I mean, the mirror would smoothly desappear from an specific percentage of the mirror image. I asure you that an option like this, would make the dock much more beautiful.

ICONS:

It would be nice to have some effects available when clicking an icon. If you want to know specifically what I'm talking about, you should try "UberIcon". It's a free software which gives some effects when doule-clicking an icon in Windows. Please try downloading it (search in google). Don't worry about virus, the developers has never uploaded malaware since they created "UberIcon".

MINIMIZE EFFECT

The ones you included are great, and they work very fast, but you still sould improve it's performance for Xp.

The last suggestion (very important): magnification should be smoother, so if you please work on it, it would be great.

I really hope you make all this. I know it's a big work, but I asure you that everybody in the world will use XWindows Dock if you include these options to the program.

THANKS TO READ EVERITHING. Please contact me and give me your answer for this message to these e-mails:

[email protected]

[email protected]

THANK YOU. I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT... I really promise to make everybody in the world to know about your dock, you must be sure that they'll use it.

post-92675-1230089199_thumb.png

Stacks Sample.bmp

THANK YOU. I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT... I really promise to make everybody in the world to know about your dock, you must be sure that they'll use it.

That sounds kind of overly ambitions.

As for your requests, they've pretty much been stated before. It's now up to Bobah to decide whether and when to implement them... As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure you just copied and pasted the entire message... Now that's just uncalled for.

Despite what it may seem sometimes, Bobah does read these posts. There's no need to re-post, especially if it's something as big as this.

That sounds kind of overly ambitions.

As for your requests, they've pretty much been stated before. It's now up to Bobah to decide whether and when to implement them... As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure you just copied and pasted the entire message... Now that's just uncalled for.

Despite what it may seem sometimes, Bobah does read these posts. There's no need to re-post, especially if it's something as big as this.

I agree dude, the post was not called for. Also Bobah has been getting hit with requests post after post, so give him a break will ya.

Hello Bobah, since your updating XWD I might as well tell you this. In v5.2.2 XWD makes IE in vista not work anymore and messages like this happen (attached images). Can you try to update this bug? Also I would like to ask a feature to be changed in XWD and the stacks entirely.

1: Better handling of icons; OD handles .ico files used for ALL of objects in windows beatufully. XWD makes em blurry and pixelated, please try to fix this.

2:Stacks; say if you add the user folder stack it only shows the AppData,Games, and any other folder YOU added to the directory. It doesnt show the Music,Pictures,Documents,Videos,Contacts,Desktop,Downloads,Links and the Favorites folder. This is a major flaw I see should be fixed.

3:Stacks; to note also try to make the deafult view of Stacks installing for the first time the best. Its really messed up and takes a while to figure out the best view on your PC.

4:Stacks; say if you add a custom folder or anyother folder onto the dock and it turns into a stack, when viewing the items in the folder it just shows the default folder icon for the folders in the folder. For example, you add the user folder to the desk and ALL PC's user folder have already custom icons. When you click the stack for it, it just shows the default icon not the userdefined icon. the 3rd image explains in more detail.

5: Stacks; say I add my Applications folder to the dock as a stack with changed names, icons, and everything. If I open the stack it gets the actual name of the exe file and gets its deafult icon, not the one defined by the user. image 4 explains in more detail.

6: Stacks; In anyview, stacks will show hidden files and even give its extension. Say for example image4 shows the control panel, I made that hidden. And if you make it into list view it shows the extension such as .lnk

7: Everything in XWD; if you make a shortcut of a folder or any file even programs, it gets the folder or file's original name and it makes it that. Just take a look at Matonga's stack docklet and u'll see what I mean.

8: Everything in XWD; if you TRY to add a shortcut from the control panel such as personalization or default apps, it would be rendered useless and take you to the location of the folder last viewed in XWD. This is a big problem.

CUSTOMIZATION REQUEST:

1: Ability to change the text of 'Open' in Stacks. Such as Open in Finder (Explorer)

2: Ability to change the name of the stacks, EX: you add the ProgramFiles folder, able to change it to "Apps"

3: Ability to turn of stackpreviews, in Leopard this is called change icon to "Folder" - see this podcast/vid 2 for more indepth knowledge of stacks [Here's the iTunes store URL http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore...st?id=278739909 ]

4: Ability to change Appicon for minimized windows. [explains itself]

5:Second shadow for dockitems. You got half of it right, the other one that is needed is the shadow on the dock itself made from the icons.

6: Delete the "Delete from dock" item from the XWD rightclick menu. to delete it from the dock all we have to do is drag it out of the dock.

7: make sound schemes, the dropdown menu says deafult but we can't add our own custom schemes.

8: Change the font of any feature in XWD. Ex, dockitem labels, stackitem labels.

9: Add the icon of the folder if you make the Stack into List view. You can see what I mean if you watch the podcasts I provided via link.

10: Better animation for the stacks

11: Ability to add shortcuts for Controlpanel applets and DLLs. Ex: WindowsFlip3D, default programs, personalization, etc.

12: Changing how windows are made when minimizing. In Mac, not all the minimized windows are square, try to make them the actual length+width but able to fit in the dock. For example ObjectDock's way of showing minimized windows.

13: I don't know if you can. but to add realtime previews for the Windows. This may only be available through Vista but I/m bugged when I minimize a movie or picture using WMP or WindowsPhotoGallery the window just turns white.

Thats it for my report and request but out of ALL the docks I used 9RocketDock, ObjectDock, and XWindowsDock) yours is so far the closest and best it will get to fully replicate Mac OS X. With real time reflections, genie effect, built in stacks, and monitering. Its the best and will get even better over the course of its lifetime.

Altough this may be a LONG post please read over it, consider my opinions, and contact me if you have questions on certain reports/questions I have.

Thankyou and keep up the FANTASTIC work.

Michael (mvosx1094)

post-82093-1230093929_thumb.jpg

post-89-1230093929_thumb.jpg

post-89-1230093930_thumb.jpg

post-89-1230093931_thumb.jpg

Great Work!! 1 Q, How do i load and or edit a skin or docklet? Tried tools/xskinmaker with no luck? Just see a split second flash of what looks like a DOS screen? Tried replacing pngs in both current and tmp with no luck...

thanks in advance!

It's simple and having few simple steps:

1. run cmd.exe from Tools folder.

2. execute XSkinMaker.exe command and you'll see this text:

Your path to XWindows Dock folderTools>XSkinMaker.exe

XSkin Maker ver. 2.5

Use: XSkinMaker [Options] [Config] [Skin FileName]

Options:

/u - unzip skin file

Config:

DrawAs=strech or tile

Description=?

LeftBorder=?

MiddleBorder=?

RightBorder=?

Break=?

Close=?

OpenFolder=?

Indicator=?

StackOff=?

StackOn=?

Folder=?

ControlPanel=?

MyComputer=?

Recycler=?

RecyclerFull=?

Unknow=?

Poof=?

3. Create all images and place it to this folder.

4. Give them names as in Config.txt (or use your own names *will need to change Config.txt)

5. Execute this command:

Your path to XWindows Dock folderTools>XSkinMaker.exe Config.txt SkinName

where SkinName — your custom skin name and you will see packed skin in the same folder.

Good luck!

I agree dude, the post was not called for. Also Bobah has been getting hit with requests post after post, so give him a break will ya.

I'm sorry if I was exaggerated with my words, but I think my requests are not imposible.

As I said, I know BOBAH would have to do a big job with my requests, but If you read carefully, this dock would be better. I'm sayin' it because some other people (not only me) agree with these requests.

I'm sorry if I was exaggerated with my words, but I think my requests are not imposible.

As I said, I know BOBAH would have to do a big job with my requests, but If you read carefully, this dock would be better. I'm sayin' it because some other people (not only me) agree with these requests.

Asking is alright, but asking the same thing twice just by copy/paste is being rude to Bobah.

Once again, as you've pointed out, your requests have been voiced before, so there's no need to repeat.

Bobah needs to fix bugs and stability issues before new features. That's how the development of any application works.

It's simple and having few simple steps:

1. run cmd.exe from Tools folder.

2. execute XSkinMaker.exe command and you'll see this text:

Your path to XWindows Dock folderTools>XSkinMaker.exe

XSkin Maker ver. 2.5

Use: XSkinMaker [Options] [Config] [skin FileName]

thanks for much for the reply! and excuse me if i'm not up to speed here but "cmd.exe" is not in my tools folder? or is it a ms command for the "run" option? Again thanks and sorry for my ignorance. I really want to get into this project because i'm sold on the xwd so far!

thanks in advance again!

wkc

thanks for much for the reply! and excuse me if i'm not up to speed here but "cmd.exe" is not in my tools folder? or is it a ms command for the "run" option? Again thanks and sorry for my ignorance. I really want to get into this project because i'm sold on the xwd so far!

thanks in advance again!

wkc

cmd is the windows command line, and it's in your system folder.

Edit: so yes, you can run it from the run dialog by just typing cmd.

Sooooooooo sorry!! I figured it out.... cmd to tools folder then xskinmaker.... thanks for the help!!

when I run "C:Program FilesXWindows DockTools>XSkinMaker.exe config.txt Leopard523"

popup says "C:Program FilesXWindows DockTools>XSkinMaker.exe not a valid Win32 application"

I will make a new file with my own set of files as per the "Current" folder and Config.txt in the xwd "Skins" folder and try that.

Now a couple of other basics;

How to load a skin from say Dennis the Leopard532?

How to load doclets?

I am, of course trying to figure out for myself but if there is a tutorial some where I can't find it? Sorry

Thanks in advance

Now a couple of other basics;

How to load a skin from say Dennis the Leopard532?

1. Dowload it and save into Skins folder

2. Go to Preferences (right click on any dock element)

3. Go to Panel preferences tab and choose any skin you want from dropdown list. If they are not appear — try to click on Refresh button.

4. Click Apply button at the bottom of the window to apply this settings

How to load doclets?

1. Download archive with docklet and extract it to Docklets folder.

2. Restart (or run) dock and right click on any dock element.

3. Check out Add submenu — you must see (at the bottom of the list) list of all available Dockets.

4. Choose docklet and enjoy :D

Btw, you can setup all dock elements (incuding docklets) — right click and choose Edit.

1. Dowload it and save into Skins folder

2. Go to Preferences (right click on any dock element)

3. Go to Panel preferences tab and choose any skin you want from dropdown list. If they are not appear — try to click on Refresh button.

4. Click Apply button at the bottom of the window to apply this settings

1. Download archive with docklet and extract it to Docklets folder.

Btw, you can setup all dock elements (incuding docklets) — right click and choose Edit.

Thanks so much for the Info! I had gotten the docklets figured out and in fact figured a way to get the skins working by replacing the "Skin.sdmx" folder. I must have a buggy install because I do NOT get any skin options in the dropdown list but so what the XDock works very well!

A couple of other questions:

where do I find the weather dock I see in several screen shots of skins?

can we use "SysStats" or other dock program docklets? or modify these to XWD?

Where do I find the M*c looking task bar I see on several screen shots? I use true Transparency with "Leopardosx" skin but task bar is still lacking.

A couple of setting questions?

If I have the XWD set to auto hide is doesn't want to un- hide! I have to move the mouse around the bottom of the screen awhile to get it back.

Is there a way to adjust the spacing between the stack icons and the stack folder? When I mouseover and have magnify active it is hard to select the first icon in the stack. I have played with Icon size and dock size to get it workable.

Is there away to adjust icon animation? number of bounces for example?

Thank you all again in advance and Happy Holidays

wk

I'm sorry, there's another little problem:

If a run an application from a shortcut that is NOT in the dock, the indicator is not shown.

For example, I run Safari from my StartMenu shortcut, and when I see the Safari shortcut that i put in the dock, I don't see the indicator (please check at the image I attached).

Thanks for reading, I hope you fix it. =)

post-92675-1230250486_thumb.png

A couple of other questions:

where do I find the weather dock I see in several screen shots of skins?

can we use "SysStats" or other dock program docklets? or modify these to XWD?

Where do I find the M*c looking task bar I see on several screen shots? I use true Transparency with "Leopardosx" skin but task bar is still lacking.

A couple of setting questions?

If I have the XWD set to auto hide is doesn't want to un- hide! I have to move the mouse around the bottom of the screen awhile to get it back.

Is there a way to adjust the spacing between the stack icons and the stack folder? When I mouseover and have magnify active it is hard to select the first icon in the stack. I have played with Icon size and dock size to get it workable.

wk

Looks like you're the type to ask before you search around.

The weather dock can be found in the first (or second) page of the skins thread. Bobah's dock has it's own docklet system, so docklets for other docks won't work. Obviously the mac taskbar won't be available with a dock. Find it wherever you find msstyles; deviantart, for example. Obviously you have to move your mouse to the bottom of the screen to un-hide. That's what the feature does. You cannot adjust the spacing between the stack and the dock, though I'm fine with the settings, so you should be fine too. Tinker with the stack size if you must... Yeah, like you said :P

I'm sorry, there's another little problem:

If a run an application from a shortcut that is NOT in the dock, the indicator is not shown.

For example, I run Safari from my StartMenu shortcut, and when I see the Safari shortcut that i put in the dock, I don't see the indicator (please check at the image I attached).

Thanks for reading, I hope you fix it. =)

I don't think that's a problem, it just hasn't been implemented yet :P nice find.

Looks like you're the type to ask before you search around.

The weather dock can be found in the first (or second) page of the skins thread. Bobah's dock has it's own docklet system, so docklets for other docks won't work.

Guess I missed it .... have been reading these for days before I posted.... searched the forum... sorry to bother you

thanks for the reply

wk