XWindows Dock v5.2.3

BOBAH13

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey ppl! Last night I was thinking. BOBAH it´s doing such a great job with this awesome dock, and I believe everybody want to give him a hand and be part of this great project, so, why not do it?

I was thinking about doing a little contest (If BOBAH is agree with this), the dock´s logo it´s not bad at all, but lets submit our owns and maybe BOBAH likes one.

Well it´s just an idea, let´s wait till BOBAH give us green light... but hurry i´ve already did mine LOL

Hey ppl! Last night I was thinking. BOBAH it´s doing such a great job with this awesome dock, and I believe everybody want to give him a hand and be part of this great project, so, why not do it?

I was thinking about doing a little contest (If BOBAH is agree with this), the dock´s logo it´s not bad at all, but lets submit our owns and maybe BOBAH likes one.

Well it´s just an idea, let´s wait till BOBAH give us green light... but hurry i´ve already did mine LOL

we already have a pretty nice logo... Wouldn't our time be better spent making original themes to add to the repository?

Edit: though by all means show us the logo ;)

Okay, Vladimir :) So, your dock is actually the best and we all want it to be even better

than Mac ones.

WE ALL KNOW IT IS NOT ABOUT HAVING NO IDEAS, but giving donations to Bobah, and His time.

Anyway, I had to write it because I really take care about this application which seems to be the best since Yz Dock!

Today I've played a little with Mac dock and I found out few things in comparision with XWD that could/should be done in XWD to make it outstanding and better.Personally I don't love Mac's dock because of its limited simplicity, even now we have more options to change and I simply can't imagine myself working only with Mac and

having no ability to change this, that etc :D

I leave it as some kind of repository of ideas for Bobah, people write if you agree or if you want to change something I wrote here. Solutions could/should be implemented by

the time, so let Vladimir choose what he want to do, when he wants! It's no forcing, no demanding, I don't want to write my own dock, coz I love XWD ! I just write how I see things :)

1.Skinning engine:

-ability to set height of background (will be done, good)

-ability to set icons distance from bottom edge of screen (will be done, good)

-ability to change this black box under pictures showed in dock

-ability to have both 2D and 3D in one skin theme

-dynamic scaling of dock proportions based on it's size.

When dock is becoming smaller, left and right size is changing it's

angle to more straight, after making it bigger the dock seems to "lay back" on the

desktop

2.Quality and performance

-mirror of windows (done, GREAT!)

-double shadow. in Mac items has two shadows, one on desktop, second on dock's glass.

-dock item label bounces with clicked icon

-dock item labels appears smoothly and disappears smoothly

-dock item labels transparency - ability to change it

-dock items font with shadow and ability to change font

-zooming animation items count should be at least 4.6 elements, ability to change it

-when application is minimized to dock - on the right click option "Keep in Dock" which

will add shortcut to item, move it to the left behind separator and add indicator of activity

-when running application shortcut exist in Dock, after minimizing to dock it should

minimize itself someway somehow to shortcut icon, shrink it and put screen of window

in its place. It WILL preserve space. After clicking, it maximizes and original icon comes

back in place. IT WOULD BE similiar to Mac, but better! But note - exclude of this idea for

Explorer. I wouldn't like to see window 'sitting' under my first icon :)

3.Stacks engine

-default stacks after installation for Downloads and Documents? :)

-when stack becames empty, after loading up XWD - MUST DO - no more error

-when stack becames empty, in Mac it changes icon corresponding to folder which it

shows or type of files it shows (downloads/documents/etc.). It could be nice, to have it

some way implemented here, call it "intelligent stack". After stack is full, leave present

ability to change icon on top of it and in-skin icon for opened stack. It works nice.

-when you move cursor out of dock with opened stack, the icons in dock should zoom

out to normal state, but stack stays where it have been

-when you move back to dock, zoom works again, with still turned on stack

4.Clear and easy to understand interface of dock menus

-in Mac you usually don't use right click, but when you do you have access to dock

options only when you click on for i.e. separator.

it could be deleted from context menus corresponding to dock items, it will make the

dock more 'clean'. I'm not trying to 'reorganise' things, but personally I think it would be

simplier and giving better feel while using.

See screenshots with menus.

a)normal context menu of item could look like this:

Remove from Dock

Show in Finder (Explorer) (shows item location in explorer)

Edit

separator line

Open (just opens app, useful but good when you open menu accidentally)

I would remove all that menus "Add items", "dock settings", and "Delete". Yes, delete. It

brings up mess, I think. You wanna delete? Just move it outta dock. Make it easy.

b)normal context menu after clicking on separator or any empty space in dock:

Turn Hiding On/Off (fast way to acces hiding. Useful in Mac, when dock takes over some

place while doing some kind of work in PS for example)

Turn Magnification Off/On (when computer starts to slow down, why don't turn it off

fast, for example during watching new hot movie? :))

Dock Preferences...

Quit

c)context menu on first item - computer:

New Finder (Explorer) Window

New Folder (create folder on desktop. useful)

Edit

d)context menu on Stack

it does already look just like Mac ones. for clean view could have no options for dock

settings adding elements etc., just those corresponding to stacks.

+"Open" and name of corresponding folder if stack correspond to folder

Hope I could help in future development of this best dock for windows ever! :)

post-91764-1229992341_thumb.png

post-89-1229992341_thumb.png

post-89-1229992342_thumb.png

Sometimes, It shouldn't looks like the m** dock at all.

I thought most people hardly click on space/seperator to enter "Preferences"

BTW, just change the context menu the 2nd "quit" to "Quit XWindows Dock", etc.

(there're 2 quit menus in the same time if that app is running)

It'll be OK :)

Thank you.

Great, sorry for such a big post :)

Shishimaru, nice signature :)

I know it shouldn't sometimes look like M*c dock at all, so I'm trying to take the best things from M*c dock, and mix it with other ideas, also yours, to make it better. Even now, I was playing with M*c dock, and I felt 'home' when I came back to play with XWD :) kinda weird, but also kinda really nice feeling...

i've found a startup(?) bug:

everytime i change the dock items(like adding or removing shortcuts), xWindowsDock looks like this at the next windows start.when i quit and reopen the dock, it looks normal again. any help?

nstal

Maybe you should just reinstall XWD completely to see if that helps. If not that then try and see if it's the dock skin.

Hope that helped.

i've found a startup(?) bug:

everytime i change the dock items(like adding or removing shortcuts), xWindowsDock looks like this at the next windows start.when i quit and reopen the dock, it looks normal again. any help?

Maybe your fourth item is a docklet?

nstal

Maybe you should just reinstall XWD completely to see if that helps. If not that then try and see if it's the dock skin.

Hope that helped.

i did that, but with no success :(

it happened to me in 5.0, 5.2 and 5.2.2, with every skin. but thanks for your help!

Maybe your fourth item is a docklet?

i don't have docklets in my dock...just shortcuts and 2 stacks

I've been testing xwindows dock and object dock and so far I find that Xwindows dock is using much more memory than object dock. With both dock having the same amount of icons and etc, object dock hovers around 10-15MB, xwindows dock goes from 20-35MB. Is this normal for you guys? Is xwindows dock supposed to suck up this much memory?

I am on winxp home with sp3

I've been testing xwindows dock and object dock and so far I find that Xwindows dock is using much more memory than object dock. With both dock having the same amount of icons and etc, object dock hovers around 10-15MB, xwindows dock goes from 20-35MB. Is this normal for you guys? Is xwindows dock supposed to suck up this much memory?

I am on winxp home with sp3

Mine only takes a little over 5MB

object dock hovers around 10-15MB, xwindows dock goes from 20-35MB.

Mmm... XWindows Dock likely doubles Object Dock memory usage...

I don't know how does Bobah do icon reflections, if in realtime or prerendered. In later case it would be just normal for XWD to use about twice as memory as OD. On the other hand, realtime would make animations cripsier... maybe that's what makes animations not smooth (or "fast").

I think it has to do with a combination of things

1) The ability to choose a different icon for every icon is probably a major one

2) Reflections

3) The stacks and ability to change icons in stacks

4) The amount of things you have in your dock

Hopefully in the next release, Bobah will find out how to make it use less resources.

Âëîäÿ ïðèâåò!

Ñóùåñòâóåò ëè â òâîåé ïðîãðàììå âîçìîæíîñòü îòîáðàæåíèÿ çàïóùåííûõ ïðîãðàìì è ñèñòåìíîãî òðåÿ?

Åñëè íåò,òî ïëàíèðóåøü ëè òû ñî ñâîåé êîìàíäîé â áóäóùèõ ðåëèçàõ ýòó ñïîñîáíîñòü ââåñòè â ñòðóêòóðó äîêà?

Ñïàñèáî.

Ñ óâàæåíèåì,Îëåã.

Mmm... XWindows Dock likely doubles Object Dock memory usage...

I don't know how does Bobah do icon reflections, if in realtime or prerendered. In later case it would be just normal for XWD to use about twice as memory as OD. On the other hand, realtime would make animations cripsier... maybe that's what makes animations not smooth (or "fast").

I prerendered reflection :) Because transparency and reflection takes a lot of time to paint onto the dock.

p.s. I made reflection of windows on assembler ;) I think it'll be very well...

First of all if XWD doubles memory usage of OB it surely doubles its abilities! Secondly - let Bobah finish the dock so it will have windows reflection which I'm very happy of, and magnification THEN talk about optimization of dock's memory usage! :) anyway, merry christmas to everybody and especially to you, Vladimir, you are doing a great job! Ps. When you are planning to release 5.2.3? :) hopefully as a xmas gift for all of us kids :)

Bobah,is the reflection in asembler showing for ex. Video playing in window? I mean, if yes, is this fast? :)

oh, that's right, since we're apparently doing feature demands requests right now, could you get the minimized windows to refresh every once in a while (2-5 minutes)? Sometimes when I'm loading something, I'll minimize it into the dock. It'd be nice to see how the progressbar is working, etc.

let Bobah finish the dock so it will have windows reflection which I'm very happy of, and magnification THEN talk about optimization of dock's memory usage!

You say that, but weren't you pestering Bobah with that huge list of feature requests just a while ago? :P