XWindows Dock v5.2.3

BOBAH13

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just leave it to Bobah, I know he will make zoom nicer than in Object Dock / RK Launcher/ Rocket Dock, I believe :) Just give us users possibilities to modify size of zoom, width, and thats all. :)

What I meant by 5OO pix max is that user should have no f'd up limitations like on a Mac dock has its limited size. :)

Even goin far, why don't u implement something like "Intelligent dock sizing"? So, the max size of zoomed items depends on screen resolution user has! So user just has a slider to choose size like on a Mac - between "Min" and "Max", but those sizes are equivalent to screen's size!

and when dock is "growing" off all of those minimized apps it shrinks itself like OB Plus does. How about this idea? :)

Make it not only "Dock your mind, stack the world", but also INTELLIGENT DOCK, LIVING DOCK :)

Can't wait till its done.

What about an alternative way to specify dock size?

All docks I know expect you to specify icon size in pixels.

It would be a lot better to have the user specify the percentage of the screen covered by the dock instead.

For example, the user specifies 50%.

Then the dock would internally do this calculation:

Screen size = 1280 pixels (just an example)

50% is 640 pixels

The dock currently has 6 items (for example)

So 640 pixels total/ 6 items = about 106 pixels per item

Whenever the user modifies the "dock size" setting, or an icon is added or removed, the dock would recalculate icon size.

What do you think? (by "you" I mean anyone reading this post)

What about an alternative way to specify dock size?

All docks I know expect you to specify icon size in pixels.

It would be a lot better to have the user specify the percentage of the screen covered by the dock instead.

For example, the user specifies 50%.

Then the dock would internally do this calculation:

Screen size = 1280 pixels (just an example)

50% is 640 pixels

The dock currently has 6 items (for example)

So 640 pixels total/ 6 items = about 106 pixels per item

Whenever the user modifies the "dock size" setting, or an icon is added or removed, the dock would recalculate icon size.

What do you think? (by "you" I mean anyone reading this post)

Interesting idea... However, I like to have full control over the seize of my icons, i don't want to change the settings every time I add or remove an icon. I don't care, if the width of the dock cover 50% or 70%, but i do care how much height it covers! But the height would be flexible, with your suggestion...

Interesting idea... However, I like to have full control over the seize of my icons, i don't want to change the settings every time I add or remove an icon. I don't care, if the width of the dock cover 50% or 70%, but i do care how much height it covers! But the height would be flexible, with your suggestion...

After implementing this tricky algorithm to calculate the icons' size according to the screen size it shouldn't be a problem to add a way to manually lock the icons' size.

Sorry... but we should not forget that we have only Windows XP and Vista ;) it's not Mac and therefore I can't do it like in mac!

wanna bet I can find one other OS that will run this dock with no changes to the dock nor the system (not even installing emulations software)?

but I did mean to exclude the windows of a specific program (in my chase Windows Live Messenger)

atreiu is right about one thing: having control over the dock's screen coverage.

An alternative way would be to specify the percent of vertical resolution covered.

For example for 1024 x 768 screen size, specifying 20% would be equivalent to telling the dock to cover just about 153 pixels. This would include indicators, icons and reflections (so the icon would be smaller than 153 pixels, probably about 90 pixels or so).

Or maybe having both alternatives :D

Or maybe having both alternatives :D

That of course would be the best solution imho.

but I did mean to exclude the windows of a specific program

@bobah: I second this, please implement the possibility to exclude specific windows from being animated while minimizing. To be exact while using the genie effect.

First of all the genie effect done by you bobah is great!

But there seem to be some problems with Winamp and Modern Skins.

If you click minimize in the Modern Skin ("Tewnz" in my case) only the basic view of the player will be "slurped" away with genie. The skin stays in front until you click minimize again and then the genie effect doesn't work.

Additionally only the basic view of the player appears in the dock's minimized section.

Could please somebody check this if this behaviour is reproducable at other machines? I run Vista SP1 btw.

For 100% dock should have options to customize lots of things including zoom mentioned above, even shadow distance from icons and labels text, but it should remain as similiar as OS X dock option window is, I think. This is what attracts most, simplicity! :)

Then make your dock :) I made what you want (I mean 500 pixels height of icons )... but it's crazy... and I won't make shadow and label text, because it'll be more than I can make free :) I think you understand me.

Then make your dock :) I made what you want (I mean 500 pixels height of icons )... but it's crazy... and I won't make shadow and label text, because it'll be more than I can make free :) I think you understand me.

wow, that's amazing to hear... I think

so your saying there's no more Shadow Background when hovering the dock?

aw man... =[

the answer to the WInamp skin problem is called iTunes.

:)

No it's not because iTunes installs a lot of crap into your system and does not respond to multimedia shortcuts on your keyboard what makes it quite cumbersomely to use it. ;)

it'll be more than I can make free :) I think you understand me.

So the dock is now shareware? Or what do you mean?

Yea, I get it man :) Gimme your account number I'll pay you to make my ideas :) Hehhe. Just wondering... Did you solved window reflections in dock background?

And about those 500 pix, I know its crazy, so what you Bobah think about Matonga's idea about having relation between dock's size and screen resolution, so it could fit 1024x768 and 1000000x10000 pixels monitors? :)

-> edit:

Bobah, just make it simple with all the zooming, and reflections for us people, and XWindows Dock PLUS like stardock made, paid version with 100% customization options. Isn't bad idea, tho

Bobah, just make it simple with all the zooming, and reflections for us people, and XWindows Dock PLUS like stardock made, paid version with 100% customization options. Isn't bad idea, tho

That wouldn't be very simple, 'cause then Bobah would have to worry about registration and licensing and all that crap.

is there like a way to "force" apps into the dock cuz sometimes after a couple of minutes or hours the minimizing effect doesn't work and the apps minimize to the task-bar

that's getting fixed when the new version comes out, when? I don't know, there isn't a release date yet....