XWindows Dock v5.2.3

BOBAH13

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@bobah: As you are trying to emulate the original MacDock (or create an even better one ;) ) I would suggest that a leopard skin should be the default one.

For the website, well, taking into account the law thing perhaps you should show another skin to avoid attention by Apple.

@francesco: Please post this file in the Skins & Docklets Thread located at: http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/showthread.php?t=50543

@bobah: As you are trying to emulate the original MacDock (or create an even better one ;) ) I would suggest that a leopard skin should be the default one.

For the website, well, taking into account the law thing perhaps you should show another skin to avoid attention by Apple.

@francesco: Please post this file in the Skins & Docklets Thread located at: http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/showthread.php?t=50543

@BlazeOSX: We discussed that before. The reason why a Lepard-Look should NOT be the default look are legal issues. That's the reason why he want to change the default look!

So we need other, nice Themes and Icons, which doesn't look like OSX at all but is beautiful anyway.

As the theme, I would suggest one from shishimaru themes, maybe the alloy?

If it's not a custom-made theme, we sure need one which is ported with the permission by the author, so many themes from the Packs have to drop out.

Edit: Screenshot of my suggestion in use. It's custom made, modern looking, and not related to Mac. Only a fitting Icon set must be found.

post-90085-1227453076_thumb.png

I would suggest having a dark-ish glass theme, but different My Computer icon, system prefs icon, and trash icon...

I would say Black Glass 3d Feel, Seperator should be like a 3d line, or someways like that...

alright. I'm trying to get a 3d feel with shiny (harder than it sounds) I've got a pretty good separator. I don't really know how to make the icons... We don't want finder icon for my computer, right?

I've got a preliminary look-and-feel skin down. Check out a screenshot :)

Edit: some of the stuff isn't ready yet (icons and running app indicator)

I like the idea & general look, but Docks like yours with space/edges at the bottom doesn't look very good at the moment, because the reflections goes over it. Some good other skins have this issue, too, and as soon as an option "Stop reflection X px before Bottom of the Dock" is implemented, all these will be great. Till then, it just doesn't look very well, imho.

I've got a preliminary look-and-feel skin down. Check out a screenshot :)

Edit: some of the stuff isn't ready yet (icons and running app indicator)

Dont like the seporator, and the dock overall doesn't seem natural. Lol sorry just my opinion. But keep on trying =)

-POLISHED ALUMINIUM (Demo)-

-New Poof effect ("X" smoke effect for "XWindows Dock")

-Icons are coming soon.

Screendemo.jpg

Thank you.

Great! Really nice skin because default skin must be clear and simple.

Anyway, good work, Shishimaru! What about icons? I want to say that would be better don't use known metaphors, for example:

icon for my computer would not be looks like finder icon

icon for Control Panel would not be looks like the same icon in Mac OS X, maybe will be better to use another metaphor, something like this:

icon_control_panel_large.gif

Anyway, this's only just my suggestion.

Maybe, when we will have few variants of default skin someone could be create a poll. My voice will be for this skin

Thank you.

- Icons are coming soon.

I'm thinking about it now.

What kind of themes should those icons are?

- Aluminium

- Glass / crystal

- Leather

- Concrete

- etc.

Welcome all your suggestions.

Your sincerely.

Looks like you got the theming down. I'll discontinue my project :P.

It's a very smooth theme. Perhaps some milk-themed rounded-rectangle icons?

suck is also osx (and it would be tons of work to make)

How about use scale as the default, and rename genie?

that's true indeed, i was just giving example, or maybe someone could make up another minimization effect...

another name for genie is aladdin. from what i heard...

take a look at the ubuntu dock... maybe we could get a minimization idea from them...

take a look at the ubuntu dock... maybe we could get a minimization idea from them...

which one :D

(Kiba dock, AWN, Gnome Dock, etc..)

On topic now, most of this dock's features are very obviously trying to emulate macs. We should probably focus on making a good non-mac skin for now :)

Also, waaaaaaay back in this thread, I pasted the source of an AHK program I wrote that could move the position of the dock items up and down. This could be a temporary workaround for docks that need the reflection to stop before it hits the edge of the screen. (Though practically, it'll be a pain to configure a program to load after the dock loads. Someone could probably get a loop in there that checks for the XWindows Dock window handle. I'm lazy :D)

Back after a while off the 'net...

This is a new concept I'm still working on - with new icons, separator and running indicator - but decided to show a preview due to all discussions above... ;)

If you wanted something totally unrelated to M*c, look at this 3D representation of the most well known sidewalk, of the most famous beach in the world (at the most beautiful city in the whole world too...): :D

Copacabana:

post-58609-1227503722_thumb.png

This is a new concept I'm still working on - with new icons*, separator, running indicator, etc... ;)

If you wanted something totally unrelated to M*c, take a look at this 3D representation of the most well known sidewalk, of the most famous beach in the world (at the most beautiful city in the whole world too...): :D

Constructive critics are welcome...

*new icons for almost all parts; StackOn and Unknow(n) still need good replacements...

Copacabana (2nd preview):

post-58609-1227550909_thumb.png