XWindows Dock v5.2.3

BOBAH13

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@ atreiu: I reinstalled the new version, with all the dlls and stuff, clean. And the problem persists.

My Gmail account was shortened to only the new incoming emails, since I moved everything to Archive, so, I only have 40 emails in my inbox. Right now with 4 new emails the checker counts only 3. ...¿?

edit: new error message: XMail encountered an unknown problem. Range Error.. (and the Dock crashes) boom.

@ Panta: Panta, you are a very likable character, but here everybody is excited about the development of this new app (that we all think will oversahdow all the previous docks) and you are turning it into a personal (even though funny) drama.

Maybe you and him should start your own thread. ;)

C'mon, move ahead and keep the good work going. People NEED your work! (and they will love you MORE when the dock is finished and shining. :)

SI? cheers man.

@ atreiu: I reinstalled the new version, with all the dlls and stuff, clean. And the problem persists.

My Gmail account was shortened to only the new incoming emails, since I moved everything to Archive, so, I only have 40 emails in my inbox. Right now with 4 new emails the checker counts only 3. ...¿?

edit: new error message: XMail encountered an unknown problem. Range Error.. (and the Dock crashes) boom.

Thx for the info about the miscounting, i'll take a look at it. It would be nice, if you can figure out a pattern, when the Range Error occurs, too.

Seriously I have no problem with anyone here to be honest, it's just the fact, that he posts so many stuff that is unnecessary...

1)

I think this thread will become much cleaner now! See here: http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/showthread.php?t=50660

2)

Sorry GameBoyzGB Sir, just one more spam but I had prommised this to atreiu...

@atreiu: as promised:

------------------------------------

[spam]As a general rule (interface design guidelines):

- avoid using terms like 'you', 'I', and so on; instead, use the infinitive form and keep it always formal;

- always keep it clear and concise (KISS principle);

- if some additional info is needed for semantic reasons, use a [?] button with tooltip (preferred mode), or small letters in a short text (as you did). The latter form is risky as, if many elements need it, the interface becomes a mess! But, once a mode is choosen, you should adhere to it throughout the whole project;

- always use different lettering and/or modifiers ([], <>, etc.) for emphasising contextual elements(controls, actions, etc.) against plain text.

These are the main text-related guidelines that I recall right now; as times go by, it becomes your second-nature! :)

A personal note: unlike German, English doesn't normally capitalize subjects... ;)

1. XDesktoplet Preferences:

a. 'Custom Icon' input:

- The use of an enabling checkbox is recommended; then, indent the textbox (it shouldn't be editable, so that only a valid selection would be used - less error-prone!)

- No need of the 'Path' caption.

b. 'Screenshot' group:

- "Take one screenshot when OK is clicked" or "Take a one-shot screenshot when OK is clicked" (preferred mode);

- "Semi-automatic, when wallpaper changes*";

- "*change is sensed at next left-click";

- "Apply dummy dock and taskbar overlays".

c. Caption: should use this item's title.

Verify layout quality after applying these changes; might need rearrangement. Also it's layout may be made in a way more similar to your other docklets (more on this later).

2. XCmd Preferences:

a. 'Console' group:

- "[Enter] command:";

- "[Ctrl+Enter] command:".

b. 'Caption' input:

- change it's title to 'Label'.

c. 'Clear' button:

- carries some ambiguity; should read either 'Revert' for canceling change or 'Default' for selecting it.

d. Caption: should use this item's title.

3. XCalendar Preferences:

a. 'Command' group:

- "Run command on Ctr+Click, show Mini-Cal on Click" is totally confusing. A better solution would be moving it to the top of the input box an simply label it as "[Ctrl]+"; it should be an enabling checkbox for the command input box (no title on this one; the group as a whole is 'Command', as you did).

b. Caption: should use this item's title.

4. XGrab Preferences:

a. 'Grab Mode' group:

- should be simply 'Mode' (Grab implicitly is the whole context).

b. 'Additional Settings' group:

- "Delay (s)" (btw, I liked it more when it was in ms...);

- "Save to:" suffices;

c. 'Filetype' group:

- Should read 'File Type' instead, or better yet, renamed (see below).

d. 'JPG-Settings' group:

- Should be incorporated to the 'File type' one, forming the 'Image Settings' group, being enabled only if 'JPG' is selected.

e. Caption: should use this item's title.

f. Label should read "Grab" only.

There are still XBattery and XMail for analyzing but I'll stop here (for now, as I'm feeling really bad and don't want to spoil our good collaboration so far, due to morons at AquaSoft...); anyway, I guess a trend can be clearly seen. Also, try choosing just one style of image selection support and stick to it among dialogs, Btw, I didn't comment as you really did a great job; it's just my ****ing eyes that don't stop analyzing pixel by pixel, text by text... it's a bless and also a curse![/spam]

do you seriously need to put this out here?

3)

You, as a person, deserve much more than that (not to mention as my favorite contributor to the project).

My greatest pleasure!

I can see you love his work... why don't you just keep that to yourself, and or possibly just PM him?

4)

I'd say he's German... :)

wow, what if he is german... does that have anything to do with the dock?

5)

It's just my guess... ;)

Useless post...

there are more, but i'm not wasting my time with this whole thing man...

And now he gives proof that he can't resist, with this invaluable new post... forget me, will you? damn... :mad:

Edit:

This was my last post about all of this sick subject! I won't answer at any complains, advices, provocations, and the like, from now on... but, to all: stop this immediately or I'll look for advice from the admins.

And now he gives proof that he can't resist, with this invaluable new post... forget me, will you? damn... :mad:

Jesus christ this argument is still going... The post u just made right now was pointless..

Stop arguing over babyish reasons and keep this thread on topic.

END IT NOW!!! From now on no garbage posts or i will .........umm i will ....umm ill see what ill do and u wont like it.

STOP

report:

atreiu: I left my computer unattended for about an hour, and when I returned I found 59 error message windows one on top of another with the same "XMail encountered an unknown problem"." Range Error." message....

How often do you check for mails (min.)? How many folders are you watching? Only gmail or other accounts, too? Could it be, that the computer lost the connection to the internet? Are you using nested Folders? I need more info to check for this... Maybe I should add an debug-log...

Ok, here's a more complete report:

Error message window reads:

"Connection test failed for unknown reasons. Check host.

this value can not be st while the client is connected"

I'm only checking one account, in Gmail,

the inbox and the nested folders, every one minute.

And yes: taht message appears every one minute,

and when I close it, the Dock simply crashes.

The only way I can make the checker work (with the minus one count error)

, is ctrl-clicking very quick as soon as I start the Dock.

EDIT: nothing of this happens when I point the folder to INBOX (my bad) , that's ok, but the minus one count persists..

Just place it into the "XWindowsDock/Skins/ folder. No unpack needed. But it has to be a smxd which is updated to work with 5.2.1.!

(Phoshi was faster... :P)

You sure?

I'm using these skins:

http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/showpost.ph...44&postcount=38

http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/showpost.ph...45&postcount=39

http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/showpost.ph...&postcount=1571

The screencaps below show CProgsXWindowsDockSkins folder. I'm assuming that's the folder I need to put my files in?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

post-38701-1227059226_thumb.jpg

post-89-1227059226_thumb.jpg

You sure?

I'm using these skins:

http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/showpost.ph...44&postcount=38

http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/showpost.ph...45&postcount=39

http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/showpost.ph...&postcount=1571

The screencaps below show CProgsXWindowsDockSkins folder. I'm assuming that's the folder I need to put my files in?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

It may seem unrelated at first, but from your screenshot of the Preferences dialog I can see that you're not using the latest English.xml file... so, tell me: when did you download XWindows Dock for the last time? Did you do a clean install?

So, after seeing so many confusion with versions of the language files, I've changed the scope of the skins and docklets thread to Skins, Docklets and Support Files and the current English and Brazilian Portuguese language files are posted there for download.

This will work only if someone takes care of maintaining those files. For now I'll be responsible for updating these two. Other translators are encouraged to download the English one and use it as the basis for their work.

I sincerely hope this helps reducing the difficulty in finding the updated, most recent files.

I've updated my English language file, still cannot use any skins other than default. I've got version 5.2 of XWindows Dock.

No, I did not do a clean install to 5.2, I saw no reason to and really don't feel like rebuilding my dock.

You didn't get my point. The outdated language file was a telltale that you could be using an outdated version of the dock too.

XWindows Dock is currently at version 5.2.1, timestamp 16-Nov-08 11:32am GMT-2 (no indication of this at the first post as of now), so if you downloaded it before this, you do have an outdated version.

A clean install is highly recommended at each update (remember that it's still in its early stages of development). Rebuilding a dock is easily achieved even by copying your old Dockitems.xml over the new one after testing it (most of the time this will work to get your icons back in place).

Sometimes you'll have to recreate it from scratch; you know: no pain, no gain!

Hope this helps you!

Both are from the ukraine, and Luhanks <> Altschewsk are just ~ 50km, that's why I guess they ARE in contact ;)

Sure we are in contact ≈40 km :) or 1 hour on the slowwwly bus :D

You can do this yourself by entering the right command line parameters. Do you use Firefox? Then enter something like this in the "Run on Click"-Field:

C:Program FilesMozilla Firefoxfirefox.exe /URL http://mail.google.com

Great thanks! :)

really decent design, very simple and professional but:

1. Please, not such a huge banner

2. keep SEO in mind while designing websites, your navigation should be plain text, not in the image (very hard to have good shadow and cross-browser compatible)

3. Style the "download now" button the same way as "support project"

4. I'd keep the feature list on the features page ;) and i'd style it similar to the XSkin maker table

5. personally not a fan of the navigation bar

1. I'll try to make it smaller

2. Sure

3. It was normal and hover state

4. There will be not so much information on the site. Therefore, I am not sure that there must be even 2 pages.

5. What do you mean? you don't like desing of nav-bar, or you don't like nav-bar conception?

Ok, here's a more complete report:

Error message window reads:

"Connection test failed for unknown reasons. Check host.

this value can not be st while the client is connected"

I'm only checking one account, in Gmail,

the inbox and the nested folders, every one minute.

And yes: taht message appears every one minute,

and when I close it, the Dock simply crashes.

The only way I can make the checker work (with the minus one count error)

, is ctrl-clicking very quick as soon as I start the Dock.

EDIT: nothing of this happens when I point the folder to INBOX (my bad) , that's ok, but the minus one count persists..

Where did you point the folder before, when the Crash appears? (I want to make the docklet more bullet-proof, misconfiguration shouldn't shoot down the whole Dock...)

I can copy the -1 problem. It's a little bit strange, because it doesn't appear on every of my accounts, but as i can reproduce it on my computer, i should be able to fix it...

And please set the check for message to at least 5min. If your Internet-Connection is busy (or disconnected for a short time), the checking could easily need more than 1min, so the next check is started before the last one finished, making the connection even more slow, so the next check start ... well, i guess at some point the universe will implode.

I will include a safety net in the next version, preventing a check if the check before didn't finish....

I've updated my English language file, still cannot use any skins other than default. I've got version 5.2 of XWindows Dock.

No, I did not do a clean install to 5.2, I saw no reason to and really don't feel like rebuilding my dock.

1.) The actual version is 5.2.1.

2.) Be sure, that you have the correct theme-files for your version. The theme files are probably not working with a different version, than they are build for.

(Skins for 5.2.1 wont work in 5.2., 5.2 skins won't work in 5.2.1)

3.) It's very likely that you will have problems, if you don't do a clean reinstall. If not with skins or the dock itself, perhaps with docklets. So I strongly recommand a reinstall, even if it involves some work for reconfiguring. This time will be saved by avoiding a lot of bugs.

4.) At least for testing, install the dock into another folder! (You can keep your old one). That way we can see, if it's a problem with updated/outdated files.

Conclusion:

1. Download dock 5.2.1 here: http://nemecsx.narod.ru/Theme/XWindowsDockInstaller.zip

2. Do a clean install into another folder

3. Download skin-files from here http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/showpost.ph...&postcount=1571

4. Copy the skins into the skin-folder

5. Please report back, if this worked for you or not.

Cheers!

@Atreiu: nice improvements for u Docklets...thanx

I made 2 new sounds for XBattery for u :)

I hope these are more appropiated for the "sound" that u wanted :D

Sound No. 2 would scare me to death, but No. 1 is great! I will add it as the default sound to the next version. But I will include No.2 in the download, too, somebody else might like it to be yelled at by a girl... :P

Thanks a lot!

EDIT:

I just updated XBattery, no new features, just a pure contribution update!

* new Low-Battery Sounds (alternatives are in the folder, just rename) (Thanks to Elevation!)

* one fancy new Icon-Theme (Thanks to Panta!)