XWindows Dock v5.2.3

BOBAH13

If my guessing is right, this value is relative to the top-left corner of the dock region (the one that makes the dock 'pop' over other apps when not needed... aaaargh!), while you are talking about screen coordinates...

That could be correct! I need a way to figure out the docks-height, then... But how?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That could be correct! I need a way to figure out the docks-height, then... But how?

There are several functions for converting "logical <=> screen" coordinates, but I think the best way would be through the docklet API. Meanwhile, you could try those at the Windows API, using the dock's HANDLE. Hope this helps you...

Maybe this qualifies as a bug.

However, here is my best guess:

GetXOffset: function: Integer stdcall of object; // offsets of the dock

GetYOffset: function: Integer stdcall of object;

GetRect: function(Index: Integer): TRect stdcall of object; // rect of the xdocklet

So, try this:

the_rect := XDocklet.GetRect (the_index);

OffsetRect (the_rect, XDocklet.GetXOffset, XDocklet.GetYOffset);

Yay! just received permission from Mirsguy for porting his 'Black Glass' to XWindows Dock!!

Stay tunned. :D

awesome :)

i figured it's only polite to ask for permission (and i'd like other people to ask permission to use my work too) before porting skins so i just asked permission to keep my 2 ported skins up, let's hope they don't mind :)

oh btw, thanks very much for the Xcmd docklet, i already love it as my run menu always closed the terminal, with this i can both easily run a cmd command and make it keep the cmd window open :)

awesome :)

i figured it's only polite to ask for permission (and i'd like other people to ask permission to use my work too) before porting skins so i just asked permission to keep my 2 ported skins up, let's hope they don't mind :)

It's not only polite. you risk getting into a lot of trouble not doing so (think about copyright). But yes, it's polite and wise. I know you were not claiming that it was your work but it's always up to the creator to decide if, how, when and where... Good that you're trying to remedy the situation; most of the time it'll get things back on track. :D

oh btw, thanks very much for the Xcmd docklet, i already love it as my run menu always closed the terminal, with this i can both easily run a cmd command and make it keep the cmd window open :)
Yeah, it's indeed a great addition but I hope you acknowledge that the creator of it is atreiu, not me! *lol* XD

Little Updates on:

XCmd: it now sits in a nice position over the dock (thx, matonga ;)), the usability is increased, and the command are more custom: You can customize primary and secondary command, and i introduced the parameter $$, which stands for you query in the command window. This way you can add custom parameters at the end of the command, too. (I hope you understand what I mean :D).

XBattery: two more themes added (thx, panta! :)) and the On-Click-Command is customizable, now.

This may sound annoying but, has this been updated with WinVista SP1? I made a reply saying some defects I previously found. Please notify me. Thankyou

It was the minimizing, right? I think Bobah did something with it, so it might be fixed (no guarantees, I'm not Bobah XD)

lol i know this is ganna sound so fukin stupid but lol well okeii anyways i want to make skins for the dock but... i dont know how to if someone could give write like a lil tutorial lol i know its kuz im new to this program "development" thingy hehe :P

TUTORIAL: (note: this is only for PORTING skins. Creating your own would be similar, except you would be MAKING the images)

Pick the dock skin you want to port and open it in graphics application (Photoshop, Gimp etc.)

Resize the canvass if you need to so that there is no transparent space around the image. This is not needed, and added transparency can be a great effect.

Then you have to cut the ends of the image but make sure that the right and left are both the same size e.g. 50x100 for both ends, rename each end to RightBorder/LeftBorder respectively.

The section you are left with will be the MiddleBorder so save it as this. Again, resize the canvas to remove any transparent space, or leave some if you want.

The running indicator can be left as it is but it may have to be renamed to Indicator.

The separator will have to be resized to match the height of your MiddleBorder image. (TIP! You can make the separator seem shorter by added transparency to it)

Save all images as .png's.

That's it for the actual dock images.

Now for putting the skin together.

Copy all of the images you've just made into your XWindows Dock/tools folder. If you want, you should probably save all of your pictures somewhere in case you need them.

Go back to the XWindows Dock/skins folder and copy the contents of the Current folder to the /tools folder. At this point you can change the images used for the like: folder, trash can, stacks on/off etc. Just rename them to match the ones already there.

Open the config file and edit the first line (Description=Whatever the dock name is)

Select ONLY the config file. Now drag this into the XskinMaker. This should generate a skin.smxd file. Rename it to match the dock and cut/copy to skins folder.

Restart XWindows Dock and then select your skin.

Hope this helps! :D

Excellent job JBar! Perhaps bobah could adapt it for addition at the first post. :D

I just want to do a few comments and small corrections; I'll emphasize the points in your text in bold, for ease identification:

TUTORIAL: (note: this is only for PORTING skins. Creating your own would be similar, except you would be MAKING the images)

Pick the dock skin you want to port and open it in graphics application (Photoshop, Gimp etc.)

Resize the canvass if you need to so that there is no transparent space around the image.

Actually you can have transparency both above and below the skin; this allows some interesting effects!

Then you have to cut the ends of the image but make sure that the right and left are both the same size i.e. 50x100 for both ends, rename each end to RightBorder/LeftBorder respectively.

The section you are left with will be the MiddleBorder so save it as this. Again, resize the canvas to remove any transparent space.

First highlight: I guess it'd be clearer if stated as e.g. 50x100 instead of i.e. 50x100;

Second highlight: same considerations about transparency. In fact, they must match.

The running indicator can be left as it is but it may have to be renamed to Indicator.

The separator will have to be resized to match the height of your MiddleBorder image.

Partially true, as the dock will adjust it if needed; also note that you can fake it being shorter by means of transparency.

Save all images as .png's.

That's it for the actual dock images.

Now for putting the skin together.

Copy all of the images you've just made into your XWindows Dock/tools folder.

Go back to the XWindows Dock/skins folder and copy the contents of the Current folder to the /tools folder.

Better if the sequence is swaped, or else you risk loosing your recently edited images by mistake. ;)

Another thing: If you, like me, are planning on creating many skins, it should be a good idea pearhaps creating a folder structure outside the structure of the dock itself, with a folder for each skin; then copy both XSkinMaker.exe and Config.txt to each skin folder.

At this point you can change the images used for the like: folder, trash can, stacks on/off etc. Just rename them to match the ones already there.

Open the config file and edit the first line (Description=Whatever the dock name is)

Select everything but the XskinMaker, and drag them into the XskinMaker. (Important! when you drag all the items to the xskinMaker make sure you grab the config file) This should generate a skin.smxd file. Rename it to match the dock and cut/copy to skins folder.

It's not necessary dragging anything but Config.txt over XSkinMaker.exe; this will get the job done!

Restart XWindows Dock and then select your skin.

Hope this helps! :D

Hope I could help too! :D

Wonderfull to look at , really but on Vista 64 the first time i clicked on Adobe reader or Photoshop icons to launch it sort of locked up the computer,

or rather maybee comodo firewall locked it up trying to ask permissions "Is this OK? to launch from XDock" if you see what I mean

And on Blue Glass I had a 2'inch Black area around the dock

Also Mouse over was not as smooth as Rocket Dock

I give you 10 out of 10 for effort, but using it with Comodo firewall and maybe Vista 64 Prem sorry, not quite there yet

Thank you Panta! I'll add your information into my post. :)

My pleasure! :D

----------------------------------

@geepee: *lol* Ok!

:D i knew that, sorry if it seemed a bit like i was thanking you :P so uhm, thanks atreiu :)
Wonderfull to look at , really but on Vista 64 the first time i clicked on Adobe reader or Photoshop icons to launch it sort of locked up the computer,

or rather maybee comodo firewall locked it up trying to ask permissions "Is this OK? to launch from XDock" if you see what I mean

Try configuring your firewall before running the dock and see if this changes anything.

And on Blue Glass I had a 2'inch Black area around the dock
What? What do you mean?

Also Mouse over was not as smooth as Rocket Dock

I give you 10 out of 10 for effort, but using it with Comodo firewall and maybe Vista 64 Prem sorry, not quite there yet

Sorry but I can't agree with you for several reasons:

1- as you stated yourself, it seems that the problem is on Comodo's side, no? Comodo, Vista, x64, UAC, and so on... think about that... ;)

2- look at your post's numbering (#1270, since September 21st.); don't you think that if it was evident that this sort of problem resides on the dock's side someone would've already pointed it too?

3- it's free software, so it'll cost you nothing but a better testing report, and you may even earn support from the community!

Sorry, I'm not the developer, just a free supporter, but I think you should perhaps give it a second thought... it's not that good start posting this way (it's your first post at AS, after... what? one year of subscription? time to learn to give something too... ;)).