XWindows Dock v5.2.3

BOBAH13

Hey atreiu!

Nice docklet!! It'll be even more interesting once fully implemented. I'm running XP Pro SP3 and have no problems here. :D

If I may, I'd suggest adding the possibility of personalizing it's label (localization) when you get to show your entry/ies at the context menu.

p.s.: doesn't XClock's source code show how to do that?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey atreiu!

If I may, I'd suggest adding the possibility of personalizing it's label (localization) when you get to show your entry/ies at the context menu.

p.s.: doesn't XClock's source code show how to do that?

Sure, would be no problem. But it depends on my question above, because I currently use the "Edit"-Entry to update the icon ;) I would like to add an extra entry "update" to the context menu, then I would use the "Edit" Menu to change the label and some other options...

PS: Thanks for the feedback! :)

Sorry for double-posting but I needed to call your attention to this: (I don't know whether there is some sort of written guidelines for creating docklets, but) I guess the general idea is using 'Edit' for opening a settings dialog box and then doing anything that's needed inside it. Hope this helps you somehow... :)

You're absolutely right. And that is my backup-plan ;-) It just would be way easier to implement* with an extra-context-menu-entry. And I think a possibility to add context-menu-entries would offer great opportunities for other docklets in the future... But a workaround with an option-window is possible, too.

*(Otherwise I would have to create an Option Window and a Timer for the screenshot, because otherwise it would shot the options-window too. It would be slower and less comfortable to update the icon for the user, too.)

Well, that's the right time for proposing enhancements to the desklets API (I mean, while there are still just a few of them over there). Those contract-like interfaces should always be established early and then remain stable, as it involves many different persons working unrelated to each other.

I don't think a timer would be necessary in case of the backup-plan: there is always the possibility of hiding the dialog, taking the snapshot and then showing it again. ;) (that is, if you have a handle to the dialog...)

@Panta: I don't really get the 1px problem you're having, since you describe it pretty much the opposite of what I'm getting XD. Still, it is indeed the problem with the right side of the dock, and it is indeed resolved by keeping the skin pngs fully opaque. Not sure what's really going on here, but whatever, I'll wait :)

@atreiu:

I don't understand why you want the user to manually update desktop image.

To get the current wallpaper:

SystemParametersInfo (SPI_GETDESKWALLPAPER, ...);

Maybe you'll want to get wallpaper disposition, to make an exact replica of the desktop, to do this just read these registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSControl PanelDesktopTileWallpaper

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSControl PanelDesktopWallpaperStyle

If TileWallpaper is not 0, then the disposition is to tile the wallpaper.

Else if WallpaperStyle is 2, then the wallpaper is stretched to fit the screen (no aspect ratio correction).

Else the wallpaper is just centered (and cropped if bigger).

For the last case, you'll also need desktop background color, and also if user has no wallpaper at all.

You should also listen to the following messages:

WM_SETTINGCHANGE - maybe the user changed wallpaper

WM_DISPLAYCHANGE - maybe the user changed screen resolution (if you're doing an exact replica)

If you want to make it even better, the desktop icons are really a ListView, so you can use windows API to get those icons and render them in your icon :-)

I know it is easier to just ask the user to press a button and take a picture of the desktop, but doing this automatically, detecting when user changes settings by the two messages above, then the user doesn't have to take the screenshot, just add the docklet and that's all. :D

@atreiu:

I don't understand why you want the user to manually update desktop image.

[...]

If you want to make it even better, the desktop icons are really a ListView, so you can use windows API to get those icons and render them in your icon :-)

I know it is easier to just ask the user to press a button and take a picture of the desktop, but doing this automatically, detecting when user changes settings by the two messages above, then the user doesn't have to take the screenshot, just add the docklet and that's all. :D

Taking a screenshot is much more accurate than just the wallpaper, and way easier than recreating the Desktop with its icons and the dock :D

But this has nothing to do with the manual / automatic - thing. I now do it that way: On every click on the desktop-docklet, it checks in Registry if the wallpaper changed, then it does a screenshot or not.

Anyway, adding things to the context-menu is not possible? Even if I probably don't need it any more for this docklet, i sure can imagine many docklets, which really could use this feature...

Anyway, adding things to the context-menu is not possible? Even if I probably don't need it any more for this docklet, i sure can imagine many docklets, which really could use this feature...

I see the stack as a good example of the utility of an extensible context menu mechanism. In fact, for anything but some trivial desklets. it can greatly empower any implementation; that said, if not desirable and/or possible, this is the right time to clearly state so.

I just downloaded the "new 4.8" version and it is different as noted in the first post I am not sure how good it is -I will let you know I have yet to put the new docklets in since it crashed the dock before it even loaded

Dont know what to do about that issue -Any suggestions?

Woah! I didn't even notice an update :D gonna try it out as soon as I get to my new computer... Looks like my (not really important) request has been fulfilled :) Thanks Bobah!

@kftrainer: how did it crash? Did it just refuse to start? Or was there an error message?

Published a Second Testing Release of my "Show Desktop" Docklet in the XWinDock-Releases Thread.

With added functionality:

* Core function added: Use a screenshot of your desktop as an Icon.

* Funny red messages are popping up, on dock-exit :-

Read the link above for further info.

PS: I think the exceptions I'm dealing with could be caused by my newer Delphi-Version. So I try to get hands on D7, then I should be able to fix the bugs.

Look at my "dock table" in our house, it reflects everything :D

@csongi: Nice! Where do you get that cellphone-docklet? The vase-icon is super funky, too!

@AndrewYY: Those icons would be a nice feature for XWinDock, too. It would be easier to assign the icon to the app, certainly.

I'm pretty sure bobah13 will get into those request soon :D

He's working on fixing bugs right now, but as of right now, he's probably studying, so we'll see what happens in a couple of hours, and see if he brings out great news!

another cool thing from leopard 10.5

when you drag seperators down the dock goes to the smallest size, and when you drag it up all the way, it makes the dock, into a certain size, so that it'll perfectly fit on the screen

it's pretty unique!

I thin my post has been forgotten so:

Here in vista 64x it don't work. Here's what I get:

First: Access violation at adress 004A40F0 in module "XWindowsDock.exe"

Then: Element does not contain a single text node

Then comes: List index out of bounds (4)

..: Access violation at adress 00446408 in module "XWindowsDock.exe"

Then a gray square appears near top left corner. A right click on it brings the first error. I also use avedesk and rainmeter.

And to answer what someone asked me, UAC is diseabled.

@Bobah or Matonga: Is it possible to receive drag-events for my Docklet?

I want to make it possible to drag files on it, to move/copy them to the desktop. Just like the Recycle Bin...

Okay. I'll try to add it

I thin my post has been forgotten so:

Here in vista 64x it don't work. Here's what I get:

First: Access violation at adress 004A40F0 in module "XWindowsDock.exe"

Then: Element does not contain a single text node

Then comes: List index out of bounds (4)

..: Access violation at adress 00446408 in module "XWindowsDock.exe"

Then a gray square appears near top left corner. A right click on it brings the first error. I also use avedesk and rainmeter.

And to answer what someone asked me, UAC is diseabled.

Please stop talk about it. If you can't install new version over previos one, you must delete old one and install new version into new directory!

New version is up

ver. 5.0

EDIT: SKINS WILL NOT BE COMPATIBLE FROM OLD 4.8

YOU MUST INSTALL ON NEW DIRECTORY, AND THEN YOU CAN CONVERT YOUR OLD SKIN TO THE NEW SKINS SETTINGS!

AND THEN PUT IT BACK TO YOUR OLD DIRECTORY!

"DOCKLETS WILL NOT BE COMPATIBLE"