XWindows Dock v5.2.3

BOBAH13

atreiu thanks for the link, the file installed smoothly, i thought i previously downloaded the latest version since it said 4.8 as well, a big thanks to all developers!

Now, do yourself a favor an grab the latest 'XSkinMaker' and then store it at 'Tools' directory for further use (I know, I know, it's confusing...)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now, do yourself a favor an grab the latest 'XSkinMaker' and then store it at 'Tools' directory for further use (I know, I know, it's confusing...)

Terms like 'the latest' are quite confusing in this thread, because there are no unique Version-Numbers to identify them, and no place where you can be sure to get the latest... :-D

@Atolas: Panta is referring to this Download link: http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/showpost.ph...2&postcount=878

@BOBAH13:

It would be really helpful and would produce way less problems like Atolas, if you:

1. Give every Software-Piece you release a different Version-Number (not 3 different .exe with v4.8, use 4.8.1, 4.8.2, ... instead)

2. Publish the latest XWinDock/.EXE/Skinmaker always at the same place, and only there (I suggest your very first post in this thread).

That would help a lot :-)

Terms like 'the latest' are quite confusing in this thread, because there are no unique Version-Numbers to identify them, and no place where you can be sure to get the latest... :-D

@Atolas: Panta is referring to this Download link: http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/showpost.ph...2&postcount=878

@BOBAH13:

It would be really helpful and would produce way less problems like Atolas, if you:

1. Give every Software-Piece you release a different Version-Number (not 3 different .exe with v4.8, use 4.8.1, 4.8.2, ... instead)

2. Publish the latest XWinDock/.EXE/Skinmaker always at the same place, and only there (I suggest your very first post in this thread).

That would help a lot :-)

Couldn't agree more with that! A little organization is always good... :D

Thanks atreiu!

usability problems should be considered more important than cosmetic ones , me thinks .

its not fatal if the dock doesn't copy one on one the macosx dock , its fatal when you cant use the whole bottom area of your screen because the dock pops up instantly , even when you're using an app in full screen mode ( video player , ps , ffox...) .

usability problems should be considered more important than cosmetic ones , me thinks .

its not fatal if the dock doesn't copy one on one the macosx dock , its fatal when you cant use the whole bottom area of your screen because the dock pops up instantly , even when you're using an app in full screen mode ( video player , ps , ffox...) .

Yes i completely agree with you, and I also completely wonder how everyone do ignore this major issue. This is one of the main reason that I switched back to rocket dock...yeh yeh I know this dock has lot of features that I agree but it is still far from the perfection of a complete functional dock. I hope these problems with smoothness of dock will be fixed in next version.

Yeah, that's why I hope you will continue your efforts to keep content & order in the Docklet & Skins Thread, even if it's obviously difficult at the beginning :D Thanks for that!

My pleasure mate! Sure I'll keep trying, even when not everybody is willing to contribute positively (just look at some posts right after announcement of that thread inside this one... ;))

I also think that bobah should consider renumbering version info for this dock... We all know this is an amazing emulation of the M** one, is evolving at an incredible speed, has gathered lots of attention (just look at this post's number!!) and so on... but, the fact is: it's still beta so that it'd be better (imho) to carry a version number that implies that, like 0.4.8.3 instead of 4.3; but this is at bobah's discretion, so that we can only suggest and hope that the sugestion is taken positively.

Hi baihui, welcome aboard... ;)

I think most of us agree that there are some serious problems with this great dock, but if you read this thread in its entirety(!!) you'll see that many of them, including this one have already been reported (reported also by me many posts ago), so now we can only hope that bobah is considering them for correction.

It'll be always his decision which ones to attack, and then in which precedence; I know that sometimes it may be even frustrating not seeing the things we find the most important not solved at our pace, or worst, not knowing if they're being considered at all, but in any case, flaming isn't a solution, so we must either keep waiting or move on and return back later.

Take this as a friendly advise only, and... welcome aboard! :D

I understand you guys like to hide your dock, but I personally just used work area by matonga and reserve the bottom of my screen for the dock. That's how it is on my mac anyways. Maximized apps don't get covered up by the dock that way.

I understand you guys like to hide your dock, but I personally just used work area by matonga and reserve the bottom of my screen for the dock. That's how it is on my mac anyways. Maximized apps don't get covered up by the dock that way.

Hi Andrew,

at 1280x800, screen real state is something I can't afford loosing but I see your point...

Hi Andrew,

at 1280x800, screen real state is something I can't afford loosing but I see your point...

Yeah, me too. I too have the described problem and can't loose 1280x80px working space :D .

I'm sure, Bobah is aware of problem and he makes the right decision when to fix it. He did a great job, so far, so I don't worry. Patience is the thing we need now, i guess.

BTW: I think more suggestions for XWinDock are making no sense at this point (the list is already long, and bobah is working on it). I would say, let's focus on the things WE can do: answer support-questions, make Themes, port Docklets(!) and let's get them organized (like Panta is already trying to do).

I've always used a docks where the icons are nearly 60 x 60 and a taskbar on top, so that's like 80 px off my 1280 x 800! Personally I don't get all the fuzz with maximized windows and workspace because I can't remember when I last maximized an app..

And if some of you are trying to emulate mac OS, you should know that macs doesn't have a maximize-window

There is a tiny example in Docklets folder:

XDocklet.dpr

XDockletSrc.pas

You use TXDocklet.GetInt, SetInt, GetDWord, SetDWord, etc... to load and save settings.

@Matonga: Would it be possible for you to upload the source-code of your Weather & Time Docklets somewhere? I'm just a under-mediocre Delphi-Coder, but I would take a look at it and see what i can do. ;)

@Fzang and Phoshi:

The whole point of software development is creating pieces that adapt to the whole user experience, and not the other way 'round. There's no point in saying "hey, nobody uses fullscreen anyway"; if instead you say that you don't use it it's ok, but not helpful at all (please note: no finger pointing here! just an example). What I mean is that each user has his/her unique user experience, among all the many paths that an O.S. allows.

By the way Fzang, if "macs doesn't have a maximize-window" is true, what's the point of 'that sometimes green button at top-left (or right)'... ;)

Edit: Wow! Post #100!!! Only XWindows Dock to make me be so 'talkative'... *lol*

No, it's like cutting your nails (except they'll never grow back ever D: D: D:)

LOL! :D Yeah, but having a 1280x800 resolution is like having your nails already cutted down to the flesh. :D (Metaphors are GREAT! You'll never beat me with those ;) )

(Let's stop this, otherwise I will explode by laughter :D )

By the way Fzang, if "macs doesn't have a maximize-window" is true, what's the point of 'that sometimes green button at top-left (or right)'... ;)

Even if I am not Fzang, I have to answer this. The green button is not maximize. It's called "Zoom". What is it doing? It is sizing the window so that the content perfectly fits. If, for example, I click on Zoom in Safari, it sets the height and the width to a size were are no Scrollbars (if possible). If this is not possible, then it sets the height and width to maximum.

Even if I am not Fzang, I have to answer this. The green button is not maximize. It's called "Zoom". What is it doing? It is sizing the window so that the content perfectly fits. If, for example, I click on Zoom in Safari, it sets the height and the width to a size were are no Scrollbars (if possible). If this is not possible, then it sets the height and width to maximum.

Thanks for the explanation schmrom! It's always good to learn the real meaning of something. :D

So, this Zoom feature makes much more sense than the 'dumb' maximize in Windows (but then, nothing new here :P) 'cause it's context sensitive: it's a 'best fit'. *thumbsup*

One can easily mistake it's meaning as most of the 'fat' applications will end up looking as maximized...

lol atreiu :P

Panta, while what you say is certainly true, I present my method as a sort of "workaround", a solution for a problem people are having (in this case, not even specific to this app)

Sure thing! No worries... workarounds are helpful too! :D

OMG now I understand! I was like crazy trying to maximize the windows in Mac OS X at work! :D I feel like a stupid :)