XWindows Dock v5.2.3

BOBAH13

I agree, because as I said some time ago, I have an old machine and even with fastest settings, I can not really use the genie effect but I would like to minimize the windows.

Yeah, minimizing without any effect would be an easy option, if making it faster is too difficult :-)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been messing around with the real mac dock, and I have a few contributions:

On a stack, the stack items move smoothly from their stacked position to their open position. The icons will shrink or grow (depending on your dock icon size and stack icon size) and move until they reach their opened state. Also, each stack item moves at a different speed depending on it's distance from the dock.

The same applies for grid stacks. Also, in grid stacks, the background grows and fades in. I believe in your grid stacks, the background doesn't change size.

Third of all, there is another (very easy to implement) stack mode called "list". This merely displays a menu showing the contents of the stack. Stacks with subfolders have the subfolders as submenus.

Hi bobah!

As you told me that you didn't see the problem with 'StackOff' PNG and nobody else reported it either, I got suspicious of my installation of XWindows Dock and decided to reinstall it anew once more (3rd install).

So, I reinstalled it and started configuring it as seen in my preview of Blackest Leopard. When selecting this skin I noticed that 'Current' directory did have its contents changed, including 'StackOff' icon!! Then, when creating the stack from explorer, the default stack (off) icon didn't show up, just like in previous installations. :( I decided to try it again (4th install) this time whith default skin only and just a stack from explorer; the same thing happened...

I then recurred to some notes that I usualy take when testing a new piece of software and found that, at some point while testing my first full instalation, I deleted the stack default icon (via context menu) and then selected a new one after that. Coincidently, it was only after that that I started noticing the problem, but then I didn't relate the problem to that action at that time...

My question is: are there any other means that you used, besides xml files, for storing settings permanently - e.g. the system registry?

I cannot find anything else that I can do that could explain this odd behavior... Can you help me please?

Hello All, Just seen this today and decided to give it a run. 1st impression is very nice, lots of potential. Couple issues I'm having though, for some reason the dock keeps crashing Internet Explorer. I have to exit the dock to get it to work. Secondly, If I am using the minimized windows option, it will not restore a maximized window, it will convert to the original window size. Still playing around with it, I'll keep checking here for updates. By the way, Awesome skins!! I've been reading on how to make your own, would it be possible to convert my 400+ ObjectDock skins to work for this??

Hi bobah!

As you told me that you didn't see the problem with 'StackOff' PNG and nobody else reported it either, I got suspicious of my installation of XWindows Dock and decided to reinstall it anew once more (3rd install).

Hi Panta, I've got an issue with the Stack icon, too, I'm not sure if it is what you are in trouble with:

Since 2 Updates (i think) i do not see the default Icon anymore, if the Stack is expanded.

The default Icon should be the "Arrow down" (like seen here http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/attachment....10&d=1223658583 ) instead it is the default Icon for collapsed Stacks (see screenshot attached).

Is it that what you mean?

post-90085-1225911068_thumb.png

OK. I went and did some ultra slo-mo for expanding and closing grid stacks on a mac (because I'm not really liking the effect all the windows clones are using) and I think I have a formula :)

Every step of the animation:

Each item gets progressively closer to the final size

Each item gets progressively closer to the final x position

Each item gets progressively closer to the final y position

The x and y speed of each item is constant (it might slow down at the end). The icon size change per step is also constant.

The main difference between the real leopard stack and yours is that the leopard dock treats x and y as separate values during the animation, while in yours, it seems that is not so. Depending on how you implemented it, it might actually be easier to implement the actual movement.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure the leopard dock only renders the first 3 items in the stack for the icon. During the transition, the rest are smoothly faded in. Once I find a screencap program, I'll post some vids.

Hi Panta, I've got an issue with the Stack icon, too, I'm not sure if it is what you are in trouble with:

Since 2 Updates (i think) i do not see the default Icon anymore, if the Stack is expanded.

The default Icon should be the "Arrow down" (like seen here http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/attachment....10&d=1223658583 ) instead it is the default Icon for collapsed Stacks (see screenshot attached).

Is it that what you mean?

Actually in your case it happens because 'AndrewYY's Glare Dock' (which you're using) uses this PNG for both states of the stack

Er... actually, I'm not really sure what stack up and stack down do, since they were the same icon in the default theme... Could you tell me what exactly you want? Also, I'm not on a pc right now, so don't expect immediate updates.

@Bobah: OK, this isn't the best video (youtube quality + watermark) but please study this to make new stack animations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhypUZK7OWI

Edit: Uploaded bigger video.

@atreiu: no problem mate!

Er... actually, I'm not really sure what stack up and stack down do, since they were the same icon in the default theme... Could you tell me what exactly you want? Also, I'm not on a pc right now, so don't expect immediate updates.

@Bobah: OK, this isn't the best video (youtube quality + watermark) but please study this to make new stack animations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN3E59OUgRY

I'd suggest that you keep default skin's 'StackOn' and the one you've chosen just for 'StackOff' (if you're using a mac right now, you can see why - this is the default mac stack icon behavior - that is, that I've seen, as I don't usually have access to a mac :().

Ok bobah, I guess I've finally figured out at least part of what's happening!! :D

As I don't have access to your code, the best I can do is to explore observable conditions and try to infer what's 'inside the black box' but anyway...

1- When the user selects an icon for the stack, your code does not update 'Current' directory regarding this icon anymore (from what's inside .smxd); in my opinion it'd be better to still update said directory and then just don't apply the corresponding icon.

2- Once the user deletes the default stack icon (via context menu) there's no way to get the stack to the default icon again (note that not even a clean reinstall of the dock solves this - that's why I asked you about the system registry before).

As a side note I observed that if I delete the icon again, then 'Current' gets updated normally.

So, I hope that with new information you'll be able to find and kill this bug... :D

p.s.: please help! *lol*

Hi bobah!

So, I reinstalled it and started configuring it as seen in my preview of Blackest Leopard. When selecting this skin I noticed that 'Current' directory did have its contents changed, including 'StackOff' icon!! Then, when creating the stack from explorer, the default stack (off) icon didn't show up, just like in previous installations. :( I decided to try it again (4th install) this time whith default skin only and just a stack from explorer; the same thing happened...

I then recurred to some notes that I usualy take when testing a new piece of software and found that, at some point while testing my first full instalation, I deleted the stack default icon (via context menu) and then selected a new one after that. Coincidently, it was only after that that I started noticing the problem, but then I didn't relate the problem to that action at that time...

My question is: are there any other means that you used, besides xml files, for storing settings permanently - e.g. the system registry?

I cannot find anything else that I can do that could explain this odd behavior... Can you help me please?

It's been a while with no update (I'm getting bored) so I'll post something.

Feed the following source into AutoHotkey. It'll move the icons of the dock 2 pixels down.

WinGetPos,xx,yy,,,XWindows Dock;gets the position of the icons

yy += 2;adds 2 to the y coordinate

WinMove,XWindows Dock,,%xx%,%yy%;update the position

Just something to fool around with while waiting for an update :)

It's been a while with no update (I'm getting bored) so I'll post something.

*lol* You too? *lol*

I'm in front of my laptop since I posted my last post (almost 5 hours ago O_o), hitting refresh now and again, waiting for some news from bobah...

Andrew, and Panta, Be patient, bobah is currently busy at the moment, he is busy with school, and also does have a personal life, he's not on the computer 24/7 so be patient bro

I am also waiting, so just wait until we get a new message from bobah or matonga

@Zephi: sorry, I can't. The reflections and the icons are on the same window :( We'll have to wait for an official update from Bobah. I'm fine with that anyways (don't worry siik) I'm perfectly happy with the dock as it is right now. I'll be able to live without constant updates :)

Here in vista 64x it don't work. Here's what I get:

First: Access violation at adress 004A40F0 in module "XWindowsDock.exe"

Then: Element does not contain a single text node

Then comes: List index out of bounds (4)

..: Access violation at adress 00446408 in module "XWindowsDock.exe"

Then a gray square appears near top left corner. A right click on it brings the first error. I also use avedesk and rainmeter.

Here in vista 64x it don't work. Here's what I get:

First: Access violation at adress 004A40F0 in module "XWindowsDock.exe"

Then: Element does not contain a single text node

Then comes: List index out of bounds (4)

..: Access violation at adress 00446408 in module "XWindowsDock.exe"

Then a gray square appears near top left corner. A right click on it brings the first error. I also use avedesk and rainmeter.

Is the UAC turned off? from what i've heard, from other vista users, it does work, but you must turn off the UAC control, in the user configuration menu.... *control panel*

Can anybody help me, I can't install the latest version, i'm on windows XP, i keep getting this error "winh.dll was not found. Thanks

I can't understand you. The dock wrote to you that winh.dll hadn't been found in the directory where you run XWindowsDock.exe !

Can anybody help me, I can't install the latest version, i'm on windows XP, i keep getting this error "winh.dll was not found. Thanks

Are you sure, you installed the latest version to a new folder? The very latest version is the one from the startpage of this thread: http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/showthread.php?t=50179 (kind of confusing, because there are three different 4.8 Version out there, but only the one from the start-page is complete and the latest)

If you did that, and it's still the same error, please post a file-list of the content of the folder, where the XWindowsDock.exe is located in.