XWindows Dock v5.2.3

BOBAH13

Great!!

Thanks bobah! :D

Edit:

Two things:

1- Could it be an option? (right now I have mixed feelings about the new effect...)

2- Could you, please, change (or let the user change) the maximun number of items in a grid? Now I can see 80 items, so the 'Open' icon remains alone at the last row; it's pretty odd...

Edit 2:

Here's a screenshot of mine, so you can see what I mean:

post-58609-1225457689_thumb.jpg

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks kflakes, I'm glad you like it! :D

If you mean the file name, you can rename it with no harm; if you mean the menu entry, I think it's quite unique... ;)

------------------------------------------------

And now I share with you all

Blue Glass:

Enjoy!

Edit:

Separator has been improved! Image will be updated later...

Edit 2:

Preview updated.

Edit 3:

Blue Glass has been updated again and Blue Glass 2 (Blue Glass with a twist ;)) has been added.

nice skins dividers need work thought. Hey could u port like sime mac skins for the docks that havent been done yet thanks if u can

Hi BOBAH13,

I've been keeping rather quiet during all of your progress, however, there's this one request I hope you could consider.

Currently, in stack or grid mode, the file names are cut off, in some cases, there is no way to tell files apart which names begin with the same characters. For instance:

File Name1: "2008.10.30 Important File 1.doc"

File Name2: "2008.10.30 Important File 2.doc"

are displayed as:

File Name1: "2008.10.30 Im..."

File Name2: "2008.10.30 Im..."

This is one of the most difficult issues to deal with if I really want to use this dock seriously to manage my files.

My request is: Could you please either:

1. Provide the option to enable/disable file name tooltips which hover just next to the file.

or

2. When you hover over the target file/folder, the hover effect, completes the file name to it's full text.

or

3. Similar to the 'bubble' icon labels for the dock, maybe you could Provide the option to enable/disable a little 'bubble' text field in a location that never changes and when you move around the grid, the full file name for the selected item updates in the 'bubble' label. (An example of a similar effect is the vista start menu icon on the upper right which changes depending on the startmenu entry your mouse is over.)

Anyways, I hope this is something you will consider as it will make your dock so much more useful :)

Regards

Hi BOBAH13,

I've been keeping rather quiet during all of your progress, however, there's this one request I hope you could consider.

Currently, in stack or grid mode, the file names are cut off, in some cases, there is no way to tell files apart which names begin with the same characters. For instance:

File Name1: "2008.10.30 Important File 1.doc"

File Name2: "2008.10.30 Important File 2.doc"

are displayed as:

File Name1: "2008.10.30 Im..."

File Name2: "2008.10.30 Im..."

This is one of the most difficult issues to deal with if I really want to use this dock seriously to manage my files.

My request is: Could you please either:

1. Provide the option to enable/disable file name tooltips which hover just next to the file.

or

2. When you hover over the target file/folder, the hover effect, completes the file name to it's full text.

or

3. Similar to the 'bubble' icon labels for the dock, maybe you could Provide the option to enable/disable a little 'bubble' text field in a location that never changes and when you move around the grid, the full file name for the selected item updates in the 'bubble' label. (An example of a similar effect is the vista start menu icon on the upper right which changes depending on the startmenu entry your mouse is over.)

Anyways, I hope this is something you will consider as it will make your dock so much more useful :)

Regards

I'd go with number two, But we'll wait til' bobah is free!

he's probably fixing up some bugs, and then he'll also take requests

BOBAH13, I wanna change the font of the tips show on the dock, such as font-family, font-size and so on.

Can you make it happen? THX!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

I think not, im not sure if that feature is on the leopard dock or not but this setting shouldnt be made available. BOBAH only needs to use a Bold font like the one used on the Mac Dock and that issue is solved.

@BOBAH13:

Thanx again for your application. It worked fine still 4.5 but now I got a problem with 4.8:

XWindows Dock doesn't want to show the thumbnails for the pics in the stacks anymore. All versions before (incl. 4.5) it has worked and STILL works fine, so I am a little bit frustrated cause I don't know what the problem could be and what I could do. I've searched the whole threat but couldn't find an answer or I didn't see it...It was a long day..

Do u have any idea what to do?? I hope so..

Edit: the new .exe for 4.8 didn't solve the problem..

@BOBAH13:

Thanx again for your application. It worked fine still 4.5 but now I got a problem with 4.8:

XWindows Dock doesn't want to show the thumbnails for the pics in the stacks anymore. All versions before (incl. 4.5) it has worked and STILL works fine, so I am a little bit frustrated cause I don't know what the problem could be and what I could do. I've searched the whole threat but couldn't find an answer or I didn't see it...It was a long day..

Do u have any idea what to do?? I hope so..

Edit: the new .exe for 4.8 didn't solve the problem..

You need to re-add the File-Types in the options menu ;)

Thanks for this great software! Most promising Dock since years :-)

Two Questions about the stacks:

--------------------------------------

1.) If I sort by "kind", I get files on the top, and folders on the bottom. But the files are unsorted and the folders, too. Is there a way to give standard windows-style to it? Means: Folder sorted by Name at the Top, followed by Files sorted by Name below.

2.) I like the image-previews in the stack! But the previews are VERY blurry. Can I do something about it?

To the Docklet-Developer:

--------------------------------------

Sadly, your Docklets don't work for me :-( XP SP3.

Moving Clock-Docklet to the Docklet-Folder crashes the whole dock at startup. (by exception)

Moving Weather-Docklet to the Docklet-Folder results in an endless exception on the show of the dock.

Again: Thanks a lot, guys, for your effort! :-)

To all you guys who is waiting for an update

here it is ver 4.8

there is only one thing new, and it's for stacks, It shows the whole text when you hover it,

It shows the whole text, instead of the "Sony Veg..."

One thing you guys need to do is to make this work without error

Disable, "Hide stacks when deactivated"

everything will work fine

*IT'S NOT FULLY DONE, THIS WAS DONE 20 MIN AGO BY BOBAH13*

XWindowsDock.zip

I discovered a strange bug concerning the icon-height:

Reproduce:

1. Set icon-size to something low (32) and set the icon-size on hover to the same (32).

2. Now watch the icon-height (!) changing, if you only set the icon-size on hover to the max (140) and press save. The icons are getting higher, look much clearer and less stretched. (circular icons appear much more like a circle now)

Conclusion:

The icons are stretched in default view: height < width! That results in blurry icons and appears not high enough.

Is this correct? It would be nice, if you could fix it :-) Thanks and good work!

Hi,

What now really is needed to get this to a Apple Dock clone (which it istn´t be obviously ;) ), is a iCal and mail docklet which displays the number of mails you get in the red star.

I know you are busy at the moment but I am missing this with XWindows Dock really.

Thanks BOBAH and Matonga.