XWindows Dock v5.2.3

BOBAH13

Does anyone know why I can't get it to work :slant: ?

Try this:

1. Be sure you have the latest version.

2. Check XWindows Dock.exe is not running (Control + Alt + Delete, Processes tab) If it is running, kill it.

3. Open DockletsData.xml with Notepad and replace contents with this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1251"?>

<dockeltsdata></dockeltsdata>

4. Open DockItems.xml with Notepad and replace contents with this:

<items></items>

Hope this helps.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone know why I can't get it to work :slant: ?

Dude, without providing further, detailed information, it gets difficult for anyone to try helping you... :slant:

Edit: tell me something: after starting the dock you're not seeing a small, almost transparent triangle at the bottom center of your screen?

When I drag the xweather docklet"This application has failed to start because borlndmm.dll was not found. Re-Installing the application may fix this problem"

Oh, sh*t, I forgot. Fixed. Please re-download (same link) (will say 404 Not Found by now, as I'm still reuploading).

Edit:

Reuploaded, try now.

Also, do backup of all .xml files in XWindows folder. If something happens and you happen to loose your icons, you can restore them by using the backup files.

Matonga do the docklets work on v. 4.5

Docklet interface changed through versions, so I cannot make them backwards compatible :(

XClock and XWeather docklets are compatible with version 4.8

I've installed XWindows Dock 4.8 and is pretty stable. The only thing I see wrong is popup menus, right clicking on an item quickly shows and hides the menus and I have to click almost outside the dock then click the item, but other than that I haven't noticed any "nasty" issues with the last version of the dock.

The only thing I see wrong is popup menus, right clicking on an item quickly shows and hides the menus and I have to click almost outside the dock then click the item.

Ok, this only happens when "Auto show dock, when mouse is over" option is checked. So it may be a conflict between the popup menu and the dock itself? I'm lost at this one unless TrackPopupMenuEx is not being used.

@fedroponce:

There is a tiny example in Docklets folder:

XDocklet.dpr

XDockletSrc.pas

You use TXDocklet.GetInt, SetInt, GetDWord, SetDWord, etc... to load and save settings.

Each of your docklets can have multiple instances, so an Index is given to each one. This is equivalent to the PDockletData pointer in Object Dock docklets, but in this case you'll need an array and use the index on it:

type
TDockletData = record
bla bla bla
end;

var
instances : array of TDockletData;

// for e.g.
function X_OnDraw (Index : Integer; var Icon : Pointer) : Boolean;
begin
DrawVolumeSlider (Icon, instances[Index].SliderName, instances[Index].SliderPosition);
end;

// etc...

If you're programming in C++ just ask and I'll convert the sample docklet to that language.

Rough equivalences:

OnGetInformation <-> XDocklet.SetName [1]

OnCreate <-> X_Initialization, X_OnAdd [2]

OnSave <-> XDocklet.SetInt, SetStr, SetDWord, Set... [1]

OnDestroy <-> X_Finalization

OnLeftButtonClick <-> X_OnExec

OnConfigure <-> X_OnEdit

[1] OnGetInformation and OnSave are called by the dock, but in XWindows Dock the docklet calls XDocklet.SetName to set information and XDocklet.SetXXX to save settings. Tipically you'll call SetName in X_Initialization and SetXXX after closing some settings dialog in X_OnEdit.

[2] X_Initialization is called when docklet .dll is loaded. X_OnAdd is called when a new docklet instance is added, or when a pre-existing docklet instance is loaded at dock startup. X_Finalization is called before unloading .dll, and X_OnDelete is only called when user explicitly deletes an instance (Right click > Delete from dock).

I'll do sort of a state diagram if I have time.

Matonga,

Thanks, for the info... and yes... I am programming with C++, it would be really great to have some C++ code (It's been years since I coded in pascal).

Ok, this only happens when "Auto show dock, when mouse is over" option is checked. So it may be a conflict between the popup menu and the dock itself? I'm lost at this one unless TrackPopupMenuEx is not being used.

@fedroponce:

There is a tiny example in Docklets folder:

XDocklet.dpr

XDockletSrc.pas

You use TXDocklet.GetInt, SetInt, GetDWord, SetDWord, etc... to load and save settings.

Each of your docklets can have multiple instances, so an Index is given to each one. This is equivalent to the PDockletData pointer in Object Dock docklets, but in this case you'll need an array and use the index on it:

type
TDockletData = record
bla bla bla
end;

var
instances : array of TDockletData;

// for e.g.
function X_OnDraw (Index : Integer; var Icon : Pointer) : Boolean;
begin
DrawVolumeSlider (Icon, instances[Index].SliderName, instances[Index].SliderPosition);
end;

// etc...

If you're programming in C++ just ask and I'll convert the sample docklet to that language.

Rough equivalences:

OnGetInformation <-> XDocklet.SetName [1]

OnCreate <-> X_Initialization, X_OnAdd [2]

OnSave <-> XDocklet.SetInt, SetStr, SetDWord, Set... [1]

OnDestroy <-> X_Finalization

OnLeftButtonClick <-> X_OnExec

OnConfigure <-> X_OnEdit

[1] OnGetInformation and OnSave are called by the dock, but in XWindows Dock the docklet calls XDocklet.SetName to set information and XDocklet.SetXXX to save settings. Tipically you'll call SetName in X_Initialization and SetXXX after closing some settings dialog in X_OnEdit.

[2] X_Initialization is called when docklet .dll is loaded. X_OnAdd is called when a new docklet instance is added, or when a pre-existing docklet instance is loaded at dock startup. X_Finalization is called before unloading .dll, and X_OnDelete is only called when user explicitly deletes an instance (Right click > Delete from dock).

I'll do sort of a state diagram if I have time.

Try this:

3. Open DockletsData.xml with Notepad and replace contents with this:

<dockeltsdata></dockeltsdata>

Sorry for...but u spelled smth wrong in this code:)

Correct code is :

<dockletsdata></dockletsdata>

Not much..but is needed for Xdocklets u maded to work...right?;)

Btw, awesome dock...thanx to Bobah13 and u too guys!

PS: hmmm....i was wrong...sorry....with my changed words in that code...is not starting anymore the app....so...it's correct what Matonga wrote. Again, sorry for this. :(

But the XDocklets..Weather or Clock..not working...yet.

Waiting for new instructions from u guys :D

Hello Matonga, and bobah

I did copy the docklets xml files into the docklets folder as directed and could even start the application without it crashing I do have the latest version 4.8 and it doesn't even work

What did I do wrong and how can I correct it?

1. Opened xml files in Notepad and

2. copied xml files from site into notepad and saved

3. Closed notepad

4. Restarted X windows dock

Crashed and did not start'

Window XP SP3

999mhz

239 mb memory

@kftrainer: has it worked before?

There is always the 'quick 'n' dirty' solution, that is: try backing up your current dock installation (optional, as it's cleared anyway...) and then reinstall it again...

hope this helps...

Edit: wait a minute!! looking closely to your description, one gets the impression that you've edited both files while XWindows Dock was still running... is it true?? If so, do it again, this time with the dock closed, ok?

@kftrainer: has it worked before?

There is always the 'quick 'n' dirty' solution, that is: try backing up your current dock installation (optional, as it's cleared anyway...) and then reinstall it again...

hope this helps...

Edit: wait a minute!! looking closely to your description, one gets the impression that you've edited both files while XWindows Dock was still running... is it true?? If so, do it again, this time with the dock closed, ok?

Hello Panta:)

I did backed up xwindows dock in a compressed folder on my desktop

and yes I closed it before I made changes

I will let you know how it goes

If idoesnt work I will just wait for a more stabler version

Thanks for your advice

@kftrainer: I'll wait for your feedback and good luck!

@matonga:

matonga, nice seeing you motivated to support bobah's great M*c dock. This partnership will certainly create amazing things! :D

I've installed both of your docklets and started testing them; both present some problems and XClock even causes the dock to crash...

I'm currently trying to find the minimum steps needed for reproducing those problems and then I'll let you know.

Thanks for your support!

For those of us who speak Moliere's language, here is the French language file.

Great work sofar Bobah13. Thank you for this masterpierce.

merci c'est plus clair comme ├ža. Matonga the weather docklet work nice thank you, we are now waiting for wifi docklet :-p

@matonga:

This is the shortest procedure for XWeather's error (assumes XWEather already installed and properly configured):

1- Start the dock;

2- Right-click XWeather's icon and select Edit;

3- Left-click on the location info at 'Select a location:'

snap1za7.th.jpgthpix.gif

Note that the dock will still run after dismissing the message box but, perhaps, in an unstable state.

----------------------- Edit: -------------------

And this is the shortest procedure for XClock's error:

1- Start the dock;

2- Create an XClock docklet;

3- Right-click XClock's icon and select Edit;

4- Select, for instance, the squared clock skin and press 'Select skin';

5- Exit the dock;

6- Start the dock;

7- Exit the dock

snap2am9.th.jpgthpix.gif

From this point on, any subsequent execution of the dock will produce the same error when exiting.

-----------------------------------------------

I have some ideas for improving the functionality of both docks, but first I must have your permission for suggesting them; ;)

So, may I suggest you some improvements now or it's better to wait? Please, give me an answer... :D

This is the shortest procedure for XWeather's error (assumes XWEather already installed and properly configured):

I tried but couldn't reproduce the bug, however I examined the code and managed to fix the error (even though I couldn't test it). Now it should work.

http://matias.securityconsultant.com.ar/XW...-2008-10-30.rar

I have some ideas for improving the functionality of both docks, but first I must have your permission for suggesting them; ;)

So, may I suggest you some improvements now or it's better to wait? Please, give me an answer... :D

You can give any suggestions and improvements you come with. However keep in mind:

1. I'll prioritize fixing bugs.

2. My second priority now is writing a "Object Dock Docklet" XDocklet for XWindows Dock :D (still WIP)