CheckMail Docklet for ObjectDock

Smaky

Unfortunately UNREAD messages is something that the IMAP protocol would not send... just UNSEEN (which seems to get cleared as soon as you open your web mail viewer) or RECENT (which is even more obscure)... sorry but there is nothing I can do about it... It would require to implement a full mail client which would download email headers and the like to keep count on which ones has already been read... it is just too much for the docklet!

I will change the wording to Unseen/Recent... to aviod further confussion.

I know I have been asked to "polish" the messages... but I am not sure about creating a whole bunch of config parameters so you may change what the docklet shows... I'm afraid we will end up with a way too complex to configure docklet. Then again... I have taken note on this.

1: yeah well thnx for the info, it sux IMAP uses something unusefull as something as Unseen instead of Unread.

2: Yeah I understand I won't be pushy about this I'll just keep it in my notes once this docklet becomes more stable and powerfull w/future builds.

And someone aslo said something about the animation image, yeah ask that guy to make a new set of icons that would be great.

Any ways keep up the good work, Fedro!

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems a little strange. May I ask why you do not use the standard Windows API to achieve such a task?

Well... this is because I do not wanted yet another dialog in the docklet... as a matter of fact, I have kept the common dialog hidden in the docklet just in case... I would like to have some feedback from all you to decide if I keep the docklet as is or if I change it to use the windows common dialog for fonts.

It is not a problem, no. However, again, it is a little strange - one would expect that clicking an up arrow would increase the value, not decrease it.

I agree with you, it's only that's the default behaviour of the control when you add it to the dialog from VC++, I think it should not be too difficult to change it.

Done, now the animated icon is overlaid over whatever background image you select... if only I can get an icon set to test it out... since the current icons would not you to appreciate the effect.

I get an unable to connect for my imap gmail account

I second this if possible it would be much easier to make the animation image(at least for me).

Done, now the animation can be disabled from the icons configuration dialog (just wait a few days until I upload a new release includying a few more updates). Look at my previous post for a solution to your second request (I only need an icon set to test it out).

EDIT: After a little further testing, the CheckMail docklet will stop responding if the Animated icon is not found. I attempted to rename the icon to prevent the animation from appearing, however this obviously causes adverse effects. May I once again request, then, that an option to disable the animation please be added to future builds.

On a separate note, while I have no use for the animated icon, I would recommend changing the way such functionality is implemented by overlaying a transparent icon over the existing Background icon (as it done with the New Mail icon), which would allow users to select different Background icons, while still retaining the animation feature.

Although it probably would, I have not yet tested the docklet without an internet connection... if you see the general setting dialog there is provision for such a feature... that is, the docklet would not try to check emails if there is no connection detected... it is that I have not got the time to implement that yet.

I would first complete the docklets email functionallity and then proceed with such things.

I think I found a bug, when there is no internet connection the docklet when updating causes Objectbar+ to crash. I have not tried to see if the same is with RK Launcher or not.

I "inherited" the setting from the PoPMail Application the docklet idea was originally based upon... which I believe was created in the dial-up era of access to the Internet.... I think I will simply implement it as "internet connection detected"...

I seen that but it also says for dial-up, I'm on satellite but due to their "Fair Access Policy" my downloads and uploads are limited so when I'm not at the computer I turn my modem off.

Thank you for adding the text rotation function, however even at 0 degrees, the rendering looks a little strange on my system.

okashifontjd1.png

I have actually grown used to seeing the un-rotated number too, so probably don't need this feature any more...sorry!

However, thank you for implementing the disable animation option (don't forget to add this to the history on the front page of this thread).

Many thanks for your great work!

Cheers,

James

x

Indeed, there was a small bug in the way I was combining the rotated text to the rest of the icon... the latest release fixed this.

Thank you for adding the text rotation function, however even at 0 degrees, the rendering looks a little strange on my system.

Although I have not yet implemented the "sense" internet connection functionallity there was a bug that made the docklet crash when no internet connection was detected... it should be fixed now.

I think I found a bug, when there is no internet connection the docklet when updating causes Objectbar+ to crash. I have not tried to see if the same is with RK Launcher or not.

Thank you for the update.

Can you please check that the 'Default Program to run' setting is still working correctly, as it not appear to be opening the selected program on my system.

Also, regarding the disable animation option, does this also prevent the docklet from attempting to open/load the image? I would recommend 'ghosting' out this area in the GUI when selected, preventing the 'Browse' and 'Reset' buttons from being used.

Cheers,

James

x

Can you please check that the 'Default Program to run' setting is still working correctly, as it not appear to be opening the selected program on my system.

I just downloaded the latest version and I can confirm it is working.

Although I have not yet implemented the "sense" internet connection functionallity there was a bug that made the docklet crash when no internet connection was detected... it should be fixed now.

Will let you know the next time I'm offline if it crashes

Because the CheckMail applet still does not support parsing arguments to the programme executable, I am using a Windows shortcut (.lnk file) as the path to the application. The shortcut starts the Chromium browser in 'application' mode, (displaying my gmail.com account automatically), and works correctly when clicked in Explorer. Note also that this used method worked correctly in the version released on 10/9/2008.

Kind regards,

James

x

Both issued are addressed in release 0.1.0.7c... the animation objects are not even created (or are destroyed if they previously existed) whenever disable animation is selected, the select/reset buttons for it are disabled to provide even more feedback during configuration.

There were bugs in the code that ran the programs from the context menu (I exprienced no such issues from running them by clicking the docklet icon).

Also, regarding the disable animation option, does this also prevent the docklet from attempting to open/load the image? I would recommend 'ghosting' out this area in the GUI when selected, preventing the 'Browse' and 'Reset' buttons from being used.

I have not received any feedback on the behaviour of running associated mail apps... specially in relation to let it run the application even if there is no mail available at it (this is how it is currently programmed)... would you like me to change this?

Hmmmm... interesting, no body reported this before. Almost all of my docklet do have an application(command)/parameters configuration parameters... but since anybody told me about this... well I did not think about it.

What kind of support would be needed? A simple "line of parameters" that would be appended to the application lauch will suffice?

Because the CheckMail applet still does not support parsing arguments to the programme executable, I am using a Windows shortcut (.lnk file) as the path to the application. The shortcut starts the Chromium browser in 'application' mode, (displaying my gmail.com account automatically), and works correctly when clicked in Explorer. Note also that this used method worked correctly in the version released on 10/9/2008.

Kind regards,

James

x

Done, now the animated icon is overlaid over whatever background image you select... if only I can get an icon set to test it out... since the current icons would not you to appreciate the effect.

If you can get this to overlay every thing including the badge all they have to do then is choose the main background and the badge and no one will have to worry about making an animation image. This is the animation image the docklet is using now minus the stamp.

post-1012-1223909855_thumb.png

If you can get this to overlay every thing including the badge all they have to do then is choose the main background and the badge and no one will have to worry about making an animation image. This is the animation image the docklet is using now minus the stamp.

Is this PNG out of my resource PSD?

Well that's the way I used to check for the crash bug... so I'm afraid it should still be present ... how many accounts have you configured... of what type... so I can try to reproduce your environment.

Yes it will not check while it is offline. Although if you use the context menu to "Check Mail Now" it will crash the dock. This is not a big problem because you should know if you are online or not so just don't click it.