Printer Monitor for ObjectDock

Smaky

Well I updated the Animated Docklet again. fixed some bugs that I overlooked yesterday (It was after 3:00 a.m. that happens!).

I tested with both objectdock & RocketDock (sorry I haven't got the time to check RKlauncher yet) under both Vista & XP SP3.

Added an option to show the printer status... for those that never get the animation working check if the status ever changes to Printing. The docklet animates the icon when that status is returned from the printer spooler, as such, it should stop the animation if you pause the printer or if it run out of paper or whatever.

Please check it out and update.

I have just downloaded RKLauncher and found that many of my docklets does not work as excpected... I'm afraid it will take some time before I will be able to research on RKLauncher & ObjectDock diferencies... sorry, but right now I have a lot of work and having the docklets work with ObjectDock & RocketDock is taking a lot of time... addind RKLauncher is not possible right now.

If there are any RKLauncher developers out there I would be happy to share my code with them so they can port the docklets to RK.

it simply stops at certain point (when the printer finishes) but it does not go back to the background icon.

As far as RocketDock it is working I don't use ObjectDock, But RKLauncher is the one that is not working in (the animation) not sure why it was designed to use objectdock docklets.

Hi, uhm, I got a problem, I have my printer (Epson Stylus CX3900) on and it appears me docklet with an X. I tried to print somethin' and still the same problem, I tried to exit and run again the dock, but sill the same problem. I can't use the 'right click' menu, I doesn't work, except like 3 or 4 tasks. help :S I have Windows XP Home Edition

Issue.bmp

You need to configure the printer first... many right-click items would not work unless you first select "Configure Docklet..." and there select the printer you want to manage with the docklet.

The X means the docklet is still not configured.

Hi, uhm, I got a problem, I have my printer (Epson Stylus CX3900) on and it appears me docklet with an X. I tried to print somethin' and still the same problem, I tried to exit and run again the dock, but sill the same problem. I can't use the 'right click' menu, I doesn't work, except like 3 or 4 tasks. help :S I have Windows XP Home Edition
  • 2 weeks later...
You need to configure the printer first... many right-click items would not work unless you first select "Configure Docklet..." and there select the printer you want to manage with the docklet.

The X means the docklet is still not configured.

Clumsy me. Thanks :)

Maybe I don't quite understand the settings....I have the docklet set to show #pages printed/total, but it displays weird numbers.....is the second value actually "# of pages remaining"? Because say I have a 7 page document.....if it were "total" I would think you'd see 1/7, 2/7, 3/7 etc....but I end up with 1/6, 2/5, 3/4, etc...

It's no so weird if you think the MS way... you got it right... the second number is number of pages remaining to print, (for all print jobs currently spooled), I think I should rename the label... thanks for pointing this it... since I need you feedback to make sense out of the numbers.

Thanks.

Maybe I don't quite understand the settings....I have the docklet set to show #pages printed/total, but it displays weird numbers.....is the second value actually "# of pages remaining"? Because say I have a 7 page document.....if it were "total" I would think you'd see 1/7, 2/7, 3/7 etc....but I end up with 1/6, 2/5, 3/4, etc...

Thanks for pointing this out, I think I will need to reduce the font size ...

While I was developing the docklet I ran out of ink in my homeĀ“s printer... so I only teste with 1 page documents.

I also noticed with a document that has more than 10 pages the last digit gets "wrapped" to the next line so instead of 10/14 you get 10/1 with the 4 shown below the 1

10/1

Well... I have just revisited MSDN documentation for the JOB_INFO_1 structure... this is what it says:

TotalPages Specifies how many pages the document contains. This value may be zero if the print job does not contain page delimiting information. PagesPrinted Specifies the number of pages that have printed. This value may be zero if the print job does not contain page delimiting information.

So, go figures... TotalPages should be... err... Total Pages as I named it in my docklet. I just have one printer here so my testing did retrieved the total number of pages for a print job, so I get 1/7... 2/7, etc.

I have faced many times that different vendors implement MS specs differently so it may be that the particular printer driver does retrieve the number of pages left and not the total pages in the print job.

If only you all guys could send me your feed-back on this I would be able to figure it out!