Printer Monitor for ObjectDock

Smaky

The docklet let monitor and print files directly to the configured printer (local or remote).

Simply drag and drop any file that supports printing (it has the "printto" verb configured in windows), the docklet will open the associated application & will send it to the printer.

Via the context menu you may configure the printer properties, printer settings, print server settings & other print options. You may send a Test page to the printer or open the printer queue.

Additionally, Left Click opens the Printer Queue & Left Click + Hold opens the printer properties.

You may select any printer icon you want by selecting it from the properties dialog.

It is still under development, I hope to receive some feedback so I may continue it's development. It should work both on vista & XP (tested with Object Dock, Object Dock+ & RocketDock).

I need it to be tested with several printers (brands/models) to further debug the code... please give it a try and send me your comments.

Updates:

09/01/2008 - Fixed a bug that prevented Drag-n-drog printing in RocketDock.

09/04/2008 - The alternate additional download contains the second attempt to have the docklet animate the icon while printing (thanks to Ghostwalker who is contributing the icons). This is an early alfa... both the graphics & the animation effect are still under development. I need you to test it and send me your feedback. Added an option to show the printer status (as reported by the printer driver - it only works when there is actually a print job printing... if not, it shoud show Unknown).

09/15/2008 - Fixed a small bug that crashed OD while changing the docklet icons and integrated the updated icons (to prevent animation "flickering" - thanks both drauks & Ghostwalker for your help.

09/20/2008 - Added options to configure the Docklet Font Name, color & size, so it could be better skinned. Fixed the About... docklet in the context menu.

There is only one version, including the animated icon. You may download it from:

http://www.feterspace.com.mx/downloads/PrinterMonitor.zip

post-79521-1220027729_thumb.jpg

post-25-1220027729_thumb.jpg

post-25-1220027730_thumb.jpg

Most excellent job, I have wanted this for a long time. Works fine with Windows XP SP3 and Rocket Dock and RK Launcher. You have put out some fine docklets I hope you keep it up thanks.

Print test page works in both docks, drag and drop does not work on either.

Printer: EPSON Stylus CX3800 Series

Now if you could replace the YZ Capture docklet I may just stay with Rocket Dock until then RK Launcher is where I will stay.

hi, fedroponce it works on my cheap Canon MP160, at least detected and I like all the infos, thank's a lot.

Just a suggestions maybe for your next project make a POP UP email (gmail) docklet which can work without using sysstat and very easy to set up, I'm sure people will need it, thank's fedroponce !

Thanks for the feedback... and thanks for the suggestion... I was kind of ideas dry.

hi, fedroponce it works on my cheap Canon MP160, at least detected and I like all the infos, thank's a lot.

Just a suggestions maybe for your next project make a POP UP email (gmail) docklet which can work without using sysstat and very easy to set up, I'm sure people will need it, thank's fedroponce !

I think that can be done without much hassle... at least I can animate the icon while the printer is... well printing.

My real problem is that I am no graphic artist... so creating an animated "printing" icon would be almost impossible for me... if anybody out there would like to contribute that, I would be more than happy to integrate the icon & add the proper functionality to the Docklet.

i heard long time back that mac dock printer icon is animated .can it be made for object dock

animated means its shows paper going into the printer and coming out of it while remaining into the dock

I think I just need a couple of images... the first one would be a 256x256 png that depicts the printer in it's iddle state, the second one is the trickier... this is a 3584x256 png file that includes 14 256x256 icons that when played continuously provide the animated state of the printer during printing.

Check the sample images (in 128x128 png format that my do just fine too), taken from Nicolas Schoeni's CheckMail Docklet.

With these two images I can modify the docklet so that it will play the animation whenever it detects printing... and the static one while it is iddle.

I'm sure you will get plenty of offers for that. What kind of graphics would you need basically.

post-79521-1220245218_thumb.png

post-25-1220245218.png

Thanks for the feedback will test on RockletDock.... although I have never created a Docklet specifically for it.

On the Capture docklet... I am not used to it... could you explain what it does?

Print test page works in both docks, drag and drop does not work on either.

Printer: EPSON Stylus CX3800 Series

Now if you could replace the YZ Capture docklet I may just stay with Rocket Dock until then RK Launcher is where I will stay.

I will see what I can do for an animated icon for the printer docklet.

The capture docklet is a screen capture docklet, this will allow you to make screenshots. it creates two images one full size and the other a thumbnail image. Option "Capture from:" screen, window, "Capture to:" .jpg, .bmp, .png, .tiff. You can also set your capture folder in the options. This docklet only works with YZ Dock and RK Launcher if you want to test it out.

http://www.forestpro.net/Ghostwalker/Deskt...2C06_09_36).png

I'm not sure if I got your question right, but I have downloaded the Docklet from wincustomize.com and it works perfectly well under ObjectDock Plus. ObjectDock & RocketDock, so I see no reason to trying to recreate it.

You may downlolad it from http://zubaz.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx?s...d=1838&libid=29

I will see what I can do for an animated icon for the printer docklet.

The capture docklet is a screen capture docklet, this will allow you to make screenshots. it creates two images one full size and the other a thumbnail image. Option "Capture from:" screen, window, "Capture to:" .jpg, .bmp, .png, .tiff. You can also set your capture folder in the options. This docklet only works with YZ Dock and RK Launcher if you want to test it out.

http://www.forestpro.net/Ghostwalker/Deskt...2C06_09_36).png

post-79521-1220289236_thumb.jpg

Fixed... At least in my machine.

Working fine here in both RocketDock and RKLauncher.

Also I have been using the YZ version of the capture docklet. I didn't know it had been ported to objectdock thanks for that link. I will see what I can do about an animated icon for your docklet just give me a few days(time).

Thank you... your feedback is always welcome.

Working fine here in both RocketDock and RKLauncher.

Also I have been using the YZ version of the capture docklet. I didn't know it had been ported to objectdock thanks for that link. I will see what I can do about an animated icon for your docklet just give me a few days(time).

schmrom,

Yes, you did tell me about it... but I believe you abandoned it.... anyway... I would be more than glad to work together on it... or find some other docklet to do... there are still plenty ideas out there.

Didn't I tried to create one a CheckMail docklet? :P No, this docklet is really cool, I would like to have a simple docklet which is able to change icon when the linked application is running :)

I can at least give you the icons I made for and my ideas, but I don't think I have the time now... I've sent you a PM

schmrom,

Yes, you did tell me about it... but I believe you abandoned it.... anyway... I would be more than glad to work together on it... or find some other docklet to do... there are still plenty ideas out there.

Ghostwalker,

I will have to check it on XP.... it is supposed to check the printer status and stop the animation when the printer stops printing. Does the animation continue endlessly or does it simply stops at certain point (when the printer finishes) but it does not go back to the background icon?

I do not have RocketDock installed neither do I have any info on it's SDK so I not sure if I will be able to make it work there.

Nice but is there a way to have it revert to the original background icon when it has finished printing. Else it looks like this upon completion.....

Please note that the animation works in RocketDock but does not work in RKLauncher it remains the background image there.

Windows XP SP3