Hackintosh

i am looking for someone who can give me their opinion on putting Mac OS X 10.5.2 on their PC, i want to know if you have done it, how successful it was and also the difference in performance to an XP computer.

i have an

AMD X2 4200+ Processor

2GB of DDR Ram

Nvidia 8600GT 256MB

i just wanted to know if it was worth me going to all the trouble of downloading and installing it, btw im going to be using: Leo4Allv3-10.5.2 Universal AMD/INTEL[sSE2/SSE3]. I have done some research and it looks like the most stable version for my hardware. So just wanted to know who has tried it so i can talk to them about it :)

Cheers

Well, Hackintosh IS illegal, so you're probably better off asking on their official forums ..

No, it's not. It just breaks the OS X EULA, which is not a legal document. Simply an agreement between the user and Apple.

Nothing will happen to you if you install OS X on a PC. If you live in the US and sell it (or live outside of the US and sell it to somebody from here) then there is a possibility that something could happen, but again it is very unlikely.

As for it working or not, check out http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page for a list of hardware that is compatible and http://www.insanelymac.com/ for help.

No, it's not. It just breaks the OS X EULA, which is not a legal document. Simply an agreement between the user and Apple.

Nothing will happen to you if you install OS X on a PC. If you live in the US and sell it (or live outside of the US and sell it to somebody from here) then there is a possibility that something could happen, but again it is very unlikely.

As for it working or not, check out http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page for a list of hardware that is compatible and http://www.insanelymac.com/ for help.

Well.. You're downloading the OS that costs money. I don't really see how that isn't illegal >_>

Well.. You're downloading the OS that costs money. I don't really see how that isn't illegal >_>

Not necessarily. You can install it straight from the disk (or use a patched disk like BrazilMac) if you want, of course he can't because that would require an Intel chipset but whatever...

Meh. :P

No, insanleymac.com does not allow it.

They only allow the hosting of patches or links to patches, not complete installs.

All you have to do is go to the Apple store and BUY a copy of the DVD or order it online from Apple.

You can then download the patches to create an install disk. This is the method I used. Bought the disk from Apple and patched it with Kalaway and BrazilMac patches.

Perfectly legal.

Violating Apples EULA by installing the OS on a non-Apple branded system is not illegal. Just don't expect any support from Apple if it doesn't work.

Violating Apple's copyright by stealing their software is illegal.

If you like it, BUY it.

Well, that part. Pretty much what Sir Pimpalot suggested to ask. There's a few folks that frown on that around here.

I have it installed on another laptop. Too much tinkering, so I haven't even turned it on in a couple of months.

Nothing that I suggested has illegal content or is otherwise against the rules in any way. Get your facts straight next time.

You didn't, but you also didn't specify not to, leaving some room for confusion.

What I did not say does not matter; he was trying to point out what I said rather than what I didn't say. I didn't tell Aydinz to do anything illegal and I didn't give him illegal links, so it's idiotic to say that I did.

Anyways, JaS came out with a new distro but idk if it's AMD compatible. JaS 10.4 was the only one that I could ever get to work with my PC, which is AMD-based.

It's idiotic to say you did, but that doesn't mean there wasn't room to assume, especially with regards to many people's opinion of piracy. But I disgress, your avatar is scaring me.

Having leopard on my pc would be cool, but tbh I doubt I'd use it. If I were going to get leopard, you'd have to get the hardware too, right?

Having the proper hardware is key to building a good hackintosh.

Junk in = Junk out.

I've yet to find a stable AMD build. There's always some quirk.

You can buy off the shelf Intel boards and components that are so close to what Apple uses that you only need to emulate EFI and hack ONE kext.

And it will still be cheaper than paying for a real Mac.

Probably more reliable too.

It's idiotic to say you did, but that doesn't mean there wasn't room to assume, especially with regards to many people's opinion of piracy. But I disgress, your avatar is scaring me.

Having leopard on my pc would be cool, but tbh I doubt I'd use it. If I were going to get leopard, you'd have to get the hardware too, right?

Two_Face_by_Sir_Pimpalot.png

You should visit my dA page. (:

What happens if you delete said .kext?

I'm guessing you can't buy this chip anywhere right?

OS X won't boot if you delete it.

And no, you can't buy the chip.

It's integrated onto the motherboard.

Just replace the kext with a patched version.

And this forum is fine for discussing this. Nothing illegal about any of it.