Snow Leopard speculation

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The core is lean and mean already since its a *BSD...

What we'll witness is some liposuction in the app domain.

And I doubt that iPhone and iOtherHardware share a lot of OS code, it's more like the ratio between Windows CE to Windows XP, where the API is similar but not identical. I mean, what use would be multitouch to an iMac?

1)No shit, who said they were? They're service packs, clue's in the name.

2)Err, no, it doesn't. You're entitled to prefer macs, but I know I'd rather use windows any day.

Ever tried making your mac look like windows? God knows why you'd want to, but you can't.

(Oh, and FYI, you're giving apple a bad name with horrendous fanboyism)

Then why would you bring up "Services Packs are free <_<?" Yeah, thanks for pointing that out. -- everyone knows that. I'm not an Apple fanboy, I just hate Windows. Notice how I didn't mention Apple at anytime.

You're entitled to prefer macs, but I know I'd rather use windows any day.

Yeah, who's the fanboy now? :slant:

If they're fully rewriting the core, I think what you say is not only possible, but likely.

No one said anything about rewriting the core, a fairly ambiguous term in its own right. What exactly is the core? The Mach kernel?

What, saying I'd prefer to use windows makes me a windows fanboy, does it?

I'm not the one who said another OS is shit, for whatever reasons.

You didn't mention Apple, but I think from the fact this is an Apple forum, I can take a slight guess.

In your mind, someone prefering something you don't like makes them a fanboy, in mine, needlessly insulting the other options without evidence makes you one. Think on.

@Desi, if they're making it faster and smaller, they have to go fairly low level. By the 'core', I mean everything that makes it tick, from the shell downwards.

I think all of this is standard but lets hope they make it skin-able, Leopard suck with that.

So did Tiger skinnability... it all depends on third party apps.

we're currently waiting for unsanity... or perhaps we're really waiting for the good guys at macthemes to pull out a workable solution that anyone can use (they have already begun making themes for Leopard).

PS- am I the only one yawning about the thought of "multitouch" for a Mac?... I think its great on the iphone and portable devices dont get me wrong... just impractical holding your hands/arms up to a screen for hours on end (would be good for endurance training perhaps)

with snow leopard they are not focusing on bringing new things, they did that with leopard. they are focusing on making those applications run faster and more efficiently and make it so that more memory can be brought.

imagine 32 gigs of ram. thats what apple is shooting for.

In your dreams, kid. Have you ever played, side-by-side, Call of Duty 4 on the 360 on a 1080p set (or your 720p set :P), and play it next to a 22" 1920x1200 screen? With, maybe an 8800GTX or something around those lines? What about with Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound with that?

PC > Console, idk what anyone says.

Also; with the PC @ Mouse, you don't have to wait 15 seconds to turn around when you're getting shot at like you do with Console @ Analog Sticks

In your dreams, kid. Have you ever played, side-by-side, Call of Duty 4 on the 360 on a 1080p set (or your 720p set :P), and play it next to a 22" 1920x1200 screen? With, maybe an 8800GTX or something around those lines? What about with Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound with that?

PC > Console, idk what anyone says.

Also; with the PC @ Mouse, you don't have to wait 15 seconds to turn around when you're getting shot at like you do with Console @ Analog Sticks

Yeah I would love to see some console gamer crouching, turning around and shooting with crouch being a stick press compared to PC ...

Also, how can you play TF2 on console ? I mean TF2 is all about going crazy with a mouse, stick prevents the pyro & soldier fun.

PS : Late 2006 mac can run COD4, crysis at medium in some not so small resolution and TF2 at 1680x1050 maxed without AA ;)

So did Tiger skinnability... it all depends on third party apps.

we're currently waiting for unsanity... or perhaps we're really waiting for the good guys at macthemes to pull out a workable solution that anyone can use (they have already begun making themes for Leopard).

PS- am I the only one yawning about the thought of "multitouch" for a Mac?... I think its great on the iphone and portable devices dont get me wrong... just impractical holding your hands/arms up to a screen for hours on end (would be good for endurance training perhaps)

I think multitouch would be nice. I'm still a little puzzled why Apple hasn't launched a tablet PC, yet. I suspect that Leopard already supports it to a degree.

Multitouch might work a bit like this, as this HP tx2000z running 10.5.2 shows:

Note that the screen is being used with both fingers and a stylus at the hardware layer, without any sort of drivers, and Leopard seems to be supporting out of the box.

This suggests the possibility that the framework for multitouch might already be present in the current builds. I know that it was running on non-Apple hardware, but how much work does Apple need to do, with it working this well on non-Apple hardware?

Windows service packs are free <_<

Just to clear some things up:

Windows service packs = 10.5.x updates (this past Monday we got 10.5.4) These are free updates

New versions of Windows (98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7) = 10.x updates (10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther, 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard) These are the new versions that cost money.