Switched to Mac, but having those inevitable issues!

Hey guys,

Today i officially switched to Mac as i got my Macbook pro 15" 2.4 Ghz C2D Delivery. Yes the new one.

What i want to do is that i want to install MSN Messenger. I already downloaded a file called "Messenger700.dmg" But it is completely different for me when the installation screen appears. I think the messenger mounts on my hard disk or something like that. Please help me by showing how to install the messenger onto my app folder.

waiting eagerly for your earliest reply.

Yusuf

Switcher!!

oh hell yea bro.. i know it from now on that i wont look back..

and dude.. its really easy to install apps here and the battery life is freaking craaazzzzy..

Now that you guys are telling about Adium.. i will surely try it..

But guys i want office now. And i dont have enough cash to buy the office or iWork. Can you guys suggest me what is the best free office. The top ones that i know of are openoffice and neoOffice. Any recommendations?

Don't become one of these poor mac-users who pay for bad software because it looks good.

I think that's what all Mac-users do: "OS X looks so much better than Windows" :P

Before someone wants to beat me: I'm using OS X and Windows (Vista) and I'm happy with both of them (but like Vista a little bit more than Leopard) ;)

Regarding Office:

In my opinion, Office for Mac sucks. I tried Office 2008 and Office 2007 (for Windows) is so much better.

Give neoOffice a try or install OpenOffice too and look what you like better.

Don't become one of these poor mac-users who pay for bad software because it looks good.

Wow.... never seen so much contradiction in one sentence. :P

Anyway, I don't have Office for mac.. but I still use iWork '06 on mac and it works pretty good for me. I may buy iWork '08 later when I get new MBP. But right now, iWork '06 suffice my needs. Hey, why fix it if it ain't broke.. right? :)

I think you actually know what "poor" was meant to say in that context, but you couldn't resist, huh? Nice try, good luck next time.

on the neoOffice vs. OpenOffice; OpenOffice is great on Linux and Windows, but horrid on OS X. Go with neoOffice.

Then you are not up to date, because there's already a beta-version of Open Office 3 which will run natively on OS X without X11.

It's just like saying "Firefox sucks on OS X" without having tried the latest beta/RC of FF3. There's lots of good free software for OS X and somehow I find lots of Mac-users preferring to be dependant on proprietary software. I don't understand that.

I think you actually know what "poor" was meant to say in that context, but you couldn't resist, huh? Nice try, good luck next time.

LOL... I know what you meant buddy. I was just fooling around. Don't take it seriously. :)

Hey guys i am having major issues here.

I have 3 computers now.

1-Desktop PC running Vista Premium

2- Toshiba Satellite - Vista Basic

3- MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz

i can share files between my toshiba and desk but cannot see anything on my mac. I checked all the properties on my desk but nothing helps. What to do?

Also make sure you have given the firewall on both the PC and Laptop the IP address of the Mac. You can get this by going into System Preferences and then Network.

I normally go to in Finder - Network - Home - I then see all the PC on my home network.

Make sure you have file sharing enabled on the PC and Laptop too, but I'm sure you've done that.

You can check the Mac's firewall settings in the System Preferences too.