Does FindeXer work on Vista?

• 4 weeks later...
Isn't it effectively just desktop search?

Same functionality is in vista anyway, plus google desktop is much the same.

No, it isn't. You're confusing Findexer with a spotlight clone. Findexer adds that sidebar in an explorer windows where you can drag and drop shortcuts to, it's not an instant search app. ;)

Not really. Vista does have a "Favorites" sidebar, but that's very limited and not as customisable as Findexer or the actual sidebar in Finder on a mac.

It's customizable enough (you can drag anything you want to it) so it does get the job done, just can't change the icons, add dividers, etc.

Bugs:

No Drag/Drop support.

No actual link to windows virtual folders. (My Computer, Network, etc.)

Uses .pngs instead of .icos for Icons.

Saved searches only work in vista.

Does not start with explorer

Explorer shows active-x warning when enabling.

Can't remove blank title bar

Currently you must manually edit the source to personalize the shortcuts.

HTML/Text/Javascript based.

Gah. :o I'll pass.

It's customizable enough (you can drag anything you want to it) so it does get the job done, just can't change the icons, add dividers, etc.

you can change the icons, though sadly enough not their size.

real dividers can indeed not be added, but a link to a __-named folder also does the job.

not the best, but thats why we keep waiting for a program like that, right?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys, I didn't know there was any interest in this for vista. I've actually fixed the bug that didn't allow it to be loaded in vista and i am working on some changes. if anyone is interested i can go back to posting updates.

I'm not sure how regular they will be as i was promoted in my company and now have almost no free time at all (most of which is spent with the wife ofcourse).