Forum Creation

I'm looking to make a forum.

HTML knowledge...I have next to none...

I want it to be free.

I want minimal adds.

I want it to be fairly simple.

I want to be able to customise the look with my own images easily.

I want virtually total control.

I want to link it to a site i've created in iWeb.

Impossible?

PS- if only forum creation was as easy as using iWeb.

I have a .Mac account, but find .Mac's groups feature restrictive.

Alright welp...

I got HTML knowledge, plenty to go around.

Minimal Adds... what exactly do you mean by that?

Fairly simple.... sure.

Customize look with your own images: Easy...ish

Virtually Total control.... okay

iWeb... why not.

The only thing of concern to me is the free part. vBulletin seems to be the best software to which you want... to customize the skin, no? Is that what you mean by "Customize look with my own images"? The new phpBB software is quite pretty as well.

IM me if you're interested, it's in my profile.

PS: I might have some hosting you/we could use.

ooh, I knows it! :D

http://forumotion.com

Lets see, 3 of us here use it here (alxz310, Bapestar[except he's gotta domain], Me) It has no ads, if I may correct from "adds" imo, little creepy w/ an alien-monster theme.

I use it because of the skin and free part. Skins are VERY easy to modify (just link an image and save)

Another thing I don't like about though is the footer links (To get a free forum, [Category], Statistics, To get a blog)

Phantom Lord, I do think he means an easy way to make a skin with his own images (No html Coding and bunch of tutorial reading and research) With it (Mentioning again) You can just type in the url of an image and save it.

Well... me and my long time friend (recent joiner to Aqua-Soft, GoofDrop) are opening a site of our soon in the near future.

ChainedToMyDesk.com - Community Computer Discussions / News / Podcast / Radio

We were going to keep it a secret until we got the domain (tomorrow) and hosting (maybe Wednesday), but I guess it's out of the bag now.

Could use someone to hop aboard the Administration team... ;)

ok... well i did a lil research and noticed that vbulletin seems to be the go.

But I need it to be free, because im tight on cash :P

i'm basically just creating a forum for a university collective, where students can discuss just about anything- with sub forums about live gigs, whats on, social events, courses, study etc...

But I want it to look flashy... like, I want to be able to customise headers, footers and the page background, the font colour and the forum sections.

As for HTML, If I was to sit in front of a blank HTML text document I wouldnt know where to start,

BUT that said, I've learnt a little bit through myspace- ie- I can use tags, change placement of objects, font colours using hex, table dimensions etc.

PS- does anybody know of a program that gives iWeb more power ?

But I need it to be free, because im tight on cash.

Well, we're getting domain/hosting... so I guess it's free to you ;)

i'm basically just creating a forum for a university collective, where students can discuss just about anything- with sub forums about live gigs, whats on, social events, courses, study etc...

Yep!

But I want it to look flashy... like, I want to be able to customise headers, footers and the page background, the font colour and the forum sections.

Got ya covered with vB.

Send me an IM, this is getting interesting... :)

Well, we're getting domain/hosting... so I guess it's free to you ;)

Yep!

Got ya covered with vB.

Send me an IM, this is getting interesting... :)

lol i dont get it, why so keen?

what do u want from me :P

... ok, I admit something. I'm a perfectionist, and while I appreciate your offer of free web hosting, (really I do :) ) I want to be able to "create" it myself with virtually full control, its part of the enjoyment... but that said, I dont want it to be TOO technically involving or challenging (a lil bit of a challenge is fun). That and this collective is one for queer students.

haha, silly Levi, it just so happens that you wanted to start this just as me and goofdrop were going to put this together.

It also just so happens that we are finding ourselves in need of another admin.

Heck, I'll be nice and look into giving you a subdomain if you still dont want to be part. This way, you can use for whatever you want to do with it, and so you dont have to worry about onslaughts of ads, or using 'freeforum' crap, which 9 times out of 10 fails withen a month or two.

• 3 years later...