Why is Apple hardware so expensive?!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely Not True!

Your assuming that a brand name is automatically better, and sadly this is not always the case.

Bench manufacture their clothes in the cheapest possible way, anyone who says they dont are liars, its business economics.

Bench clothing will be mass produced in china for 50p a time or something insanely small, and then be sold to mugs like you who think its better for £100 - £99.95 clear profit.

I cannot stand ignorance in any form - your assuming BENCH is better, when in actual fact it probably really isnt as good as some of the clothes in Primark.

No no no, I wasn't saying that I assumed that bench was automatically better than primark, I have personal experience with both brands, and in my opinion bench is of far better quality than primark, if what you are saying is true that we "mugs" like me are just oaying for the brand name then surly people would start to realize that they can get the same product but 100x cheaper at primark.

I dont disagree with you that the products are made for small amounts in places like china however to call me a mug for caring about what I wear is just rubbish.

http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/showpost.ph...535&postcount=7

I had compared prices of two similar category product here some time back... do you really think it's expensive when you look at that?

Over the time, the premium that you pay for Apple computers has gone very low... so some extent it's even at par with other competing products. if you had said that Apple products are way too expensive prior to 2002-2003, it would made sense. Today, Sorry my friend... it's not so.

As a matter of fact, Right now I'm going to browse a bit and compare prices between MBP and similarly config'd offering from Dell & HP. Let me see for real how much your claim stand above water.

(you should know : I'm going to stay awake for another 30-40 mins just for you, I better make some coffee. Mother of god, things I do for kids.)

//Posts Merged. I've made sure you had the latest timestamp, and clearly indicated your edit...hopefully this is still acceptable. -NC.

{{EDIT}}

[newsimg]http://www.aqua-soft.org/media/news/ce93a30f2e824032ff6caa9269362477.jpg[/newsimg]

MacBook Pro (Base Model) - $1,999

* 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4M L2 Cache, 800MHz

* 1440 x 900 resolution, 15" LED backlit LCD Screen

* 2GB memory 667MHz

* 120GB hard drive 5400RPM

* 8x double-layer SuperDrive

* NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 128MB SDRAM

* WiFi-N

* Bluetooth

* iSight cam

* Backlit Keyboard

[newsimg]http://www.aqua-soft.org/media/news/19a77355633621c6f912069892b91ae2.jpg[/newsimg]

Dell Precision M4300 - $1,761

($1,761 which came after saving offered by Dell.com from actual cost of $2,041. Not that it matters, just wanted to mention)

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 (2.20GHz) 4M L2 Cache, 800MHz Dual Core

Genuine Windows® XP Professional, SP2 with Media

NVIDIA Quadro FX 360M, 512MB Turbo Cache memory (256 dedicated)

15.4 inch Wide Screen WSXGA+ TrueLife LCD Panel

2.0GB, DDR2-667MHz SDRAM, 2 DIMMS

120GB Hard Drive, 9.5MM, 7200RPM (Free Fall Sensor)

8X DVD+/-RW w/Roxio Creator™/Cyberlink PDVD™

Dell Wireless® 360 Bluetooth Module for Windows XP

Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n Mini Card

Standard Touchpad

Resource CD - Contains Diagnostics and Drivers for Windows XP

[newsimg]http://www.aqua-soft.org/media/news/3e0e5ec1ada4d4693c332269e51e5995.jpg[/newsimg]

HP Compaq 8510p Notebook PC - $1,796

Genuine Windows® XP Professional

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2-GHz, 800-MHz, 4-MB L2 cache)

15.4-inch diagonal WSXGA+ WVA, anti-glare (1680 x 1050 resolution and 16M colors)

ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD 2600 with 256MB of GDDR III video memory and 512 MB HyperMemory

2048MB 667MHZ DDR2 2D

120GB 5400 rpm SATA hard drive

DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL Drive

Dual Point Keyboard (touchpad and pointstick)

Intel 802.11 a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi Adapter

HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth® Wireless Technology

MDC V92 modem

Fingerprint Reader

90W ac adapter

8-cell (73 WHr) Lithium-Ion battery

3/3/0 Warranty

Genuine Windows XP Professional Recovery Media: Driver DVD

System Recovery DVD for Genuine Windows XP Professional

So now we have three costs for (almost) similar configs.

Apple ($1,999), Dell ($1761) and HP ($1796)

Let me justify those extra $200 Apple is charging you (Which you may think is for Brand Name)

Apple is providing you following extras with $200

* iSight cam

* Backlit Keyboard

* From above three configs, only Apple's is LED backlit (longer lifespan, better brightness & lesser power consumption)

* Apple Ships Leopard and Restore disks with MBP, while both Dell/HP are charing extra for Restore Disk of XP pro.

Not to Mention, other software goodies that you get with MBP base model

Bundled Applications

* iLife ’08 suite

* Front Row

* Photo Booth

I haven't listed trial apps (like iWork, MS Office 2008 and Aperture), but iLife suit alone saves you like $79.

Front Row and Photobooth are nothing special, but what you can term as bells and whistles.

HP and Dell both have their properietary media suits.. which I've personally experienced and trust me, both are buggy and rubbish at best.

Media center is best you can find on windows for media experience from Microsoft, and it costs you extra if you're on XP.

And then, there is build quality and look factor of MBP. Not that Dell or HP has bad built quality, but all the notebooks that I've owned (which includes HP-Compaq, Dell XPS and Apple iBook) Apple has much better build quality in my personal experience. Your mileage may vary depending on the models you've used.

It also goes without saying that my iBook still turns heads compared to XPS of my girlfriend.

Anyway... I'll say that by above comparision, $200 difference is CAN NOT be compared as premium cost/brand name charge.

In the end... I say read the first line from shmengie's post. I don't wanna repeat what he said.

I rest my case.

And don't forget that PCs come with XP or Vista Home Premium instead of Vista Ultimate, which knocks about $200-300 off the price whereas all Apples come with the "Ultimate". ;)

Just another comparison:

ACER notebook € 1049

black

T7500

2 GB memory

250 GB HD

GF 8600M GT 512MB

15.4 inch

vista home premium

wlan b/g/n/

bluetooth 2.0

camera

Macbook standard € 1049

you know the specs

Which one would you buy if both could run OSX?

Just another comparison:

ACER notebook € 1049

black

T7500

2 GB memory

250 GB HD

GF 8600M GT 512MB

15.4 inch

vista home premium

wlan b/g/n/

bluetooth 2.0

camera

Macbook standard € 1049

you know the specs

Which one would you buy if both could run OSX?

The macbook. Thats all good and that, but when it comes to customer service, ACER suck and I have never had a problem with Apple Customer Care. If you think about it, its not only the product you have to consider, its the customer care too.

• 3 weeks later...