MacBook Dock, Ultraportable Macbook and a Multitouch Trackpad

Ertai88

[newsimg]http://www.aqua-soft.org/media/news/57f771a7fed98e3042e39f8b3ae0a477.jpg[/newsimg]

Mac Rumors says that the rumored ultraportable MacBook (12" widescreen) will feature a more advanced multitouch trackpad (the current ones allow for two finger scrolling). This will more likely allow zooming and swiping, similar to the iPhone. The ultraportable MacBook will not have an optical drive to cut down on size, but Apple will offer an external option.

Read at Mac Rumors

6edca1cf376a4f5f9c641c6a4f6807f1.jpg

efac59953eda94c48f4280f2994d7beb.png

In a patent application filed by Apple, the "integrated monitor and docking station" seems to allow the MacBook to be docked into an iMac shell to have a bigger screen, and more ports. This seems to be tailored towards the rumored ultraportable MacBook.

The twist is that part of the communication between dock and Mac is wireless, via both WiFi and Bluetooth. The question is, does this have anything to do with the MacBook Touch? While you decide, I'll leave you with this astonishing piece of patent-babble from the filing

Read at Engadget

How is that possible? where will all of the hardware go? by the look of the drawings the mb takes up half the space. Unless they make it thicker i personally cant see how that would work.

Wouldn't it be cheaper for apple (and consumer) if they made the hard drive removable, and have the docking station, It will take up less space, that seems more logical. Or have a usb cable from the mb - the workstation so its compatable with all types of computer (some how have a transfer program installed onto the imac)

Just my personal opinion. Good idea though.

How is that possible? where will all of the hardware go? by the look of the drawings the mb takes up half the space. Unless they make it thicker i personally cant see how that would work.

Wouldn't it be cheaper for apple (and consumer) if they made the hard drive removable, and have the docking station, It will take up less space, that seems more logical. Or have a usb cable from the mb - the workstation so its compatable with all types of computer (some how have a transfer program installed onto the imac)

Just my personal opinion. Good idea though.

Remember, this is Apple. They would never submit patents that show what they plan to do with it. Maybe for an iPod, or a product yet to be released,or something that is completely different.

Why do not think it is possible, it would incorporate all a desktop into a laptop. Most people, with money will buy a laptop, then they will buy a monitor for home, and a docking station, doesn't this incorporate both into one solid thing. I would buy one if it was cheep, like $600 at the most, just for the laptop.

i think its possible, but just plain pointless, stupid, impractical...

the chipset in the imac is different to that in the Macbook Pro. The iMac is actually faster than the MBP. That's why its the desktop, and the macbook is the laptop.

why would I pay money for a stupid imac looking stand?... creating a desktop which is essentially not as fast as an imac?

this is the stuff of transformers and power rangers- where the zords combine to form the 'megazord' to fight off the evil minions... its just plain silly.

megazord.jpg

PS- have you seen the price of apple cinema displays? trust me... this stand would not be 'cheep'.

Edit- I also think all this talk of an ultra compact Macbook is stupid too... theres no market for such a machine.

@ Levi i do agree that it is stupid, but its not pointless, some one will buy it. All apple is trying to do is widen their audience to people, that need an ultra portable laptop and a desktop, it kind of reminds me of t-mobiles, home phone and cell phone. And desktops NEED to be faster then laptops to compete, if a laptop had the same price and features as a desktop, then that would totally undermine he whole desktop market and it would crumble. Also there may not be that much of an ultra portable laptop market right now, but i dont see a ten pound laptop anywere in the future. Other companys have also made ultra portable computers(laptos, portable pcs,,,) sony has been trying to get people to by their tiny laptops for years, but the price, and reliability just isn't there. In reality who really needs an ultra portable laptop, but many people will buy one. Has apple ever steered us(the consumers) wrong.

This argument is truly pointless because we really don't know what they are going to release for sure. But what ever happens, Apple has a bright future, and there is know way that Apple could release a product that was unsuccessful, with all their loyal, Bloggers, Fan sites, and Consumers that will support them as long as they keep their image, and sell attractive product that out perform, and outlast the competition.

if there is such a thing i will really consider buying a mac.. somehow it is nice for me. they probably will say.. "you can bring your desktop anywhere!" or something like that. i also like that idea.. lets just say the macbook pro or any macbook or even a new one for this. slim version, and this dock is a "desktop" you use your desktop at home... when to be used on the outside, you can simply remove it from the monitor and bring it out. also.. when your friend with a macbook comes to your house.. he/she can use your dock.

the only thing i m not very sure is using laptop for desktop use.. it is kind of bad... can laptops last that long? or even operate 24hours a day?