Torrent Docklet

beef

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a little docklet to test:

http://www.matiasmoreno.com.ar/BandwidthDocklet-test.rar

I made it skinnable, because I can't do a good design myself (I'm coder, not artist :))

It should not work in Windows Vista.

Indeed it should not work in Windows XP SP 2, but it works in mine... ??? :-P

Now I can go to sleep ;)

Edit: oh sh***t, the docklet KILLS the network performance... :-( this is probably a problem of the component I'm using, which sends me packets for ALL ports (I have no way to specify which port, I have to filter it after I already have the packet). Fortunately I have the sources of the component, so I'll be checking that if no better alternative appears.

I did a little docklet to test:

http://www.matiasmoreno.com.ar/BandwidthDocklet-test.rar

I made it skinnable, because I can't do a good design myself (I'm coder, not artist :))

It should not work in Windows Vista.

Indeed it should not work in Windows XP SP 2, but it works in mine... ??? :-P

Now I can go to sleep ;)

Edit: oh sh***t, the docklet KILLS the network performance... :-( this is probably a problem of the component I'm using, which sends me packets for ALL ports (I have no way to specify which port, I have to filter it after I already have the packet). Fortunately I have the sources of the component, so I'll be checking that if no better alternative appears.

Hi,Matonga ,in what windows does it work then?

Anyway it's detected in Rocket dock (using XP SP2) but I don't know which port do I have to fill in,please help me,thank's

It depends on your Torrent client. You should check your client configuration.

Which torrent client are you using?

Note: for uTorrent users, this is menu OptionsPreferences, then Connections, then Listening port. In my case is 55675 but this is generated randomly at install.

If you just want to test if the bandwidth detection is working, then enter 80 as port, and point your browser to some page such as Youtube. It should show two numbers (one in green and one in blue) over the silver squares.

Mmm... lets see...

The green one is the download rate, and the blue one is the upload rate.

However, because you put port 80 which is for pages you access, not pages being accessed from your computer, the numbers are reverted and the green one is the upload and the blue one the download rate.

Did you run it under XP or Vista?

Whatever, I'm planning to change this to use WinPCap (the .dll library, not the executable itself), this will allow more performance and right numbers at the cost of having to install WinPCap, which I think is a good cost, considering that it is free and open source.

The best would be a plugin, but I use uTorrent and it doesn't support plugins :( nor it provides any way to know the bandwidth usage, except WebUI which I hadn't check and don't want to (too complicated, plus I'm not a big fan of html scrapping).

This is fast man, just a couple of things your text seems to be aligned to the left could you align that to the right so the "K" symbols remain one above the other? and could you change it so that a right click is to configure it and the left click is a shortcut to a specified file (uTorrent) that way we just click the dock icon to start the program.

bandwidth.png