Cairo: Welcome To The Revolution

Did you consider opening your source? That would be much appreciated, because it opens the doors for lots of developers to join in, fix bugs and add more functionality. Also it would be one great example that free software can come from Windows-users too. :)

Maybe there'd be some code for linux-developers, to perfect "our" desktop too. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have decided not to open source Cairo as we feel it is in the best interest for our community and for ourselves. By consolidating development to our original team, we can remain focused and diligent in our efforts and protect our investment in Cairo's development.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Are the pictures photoshop mock-ups? The font rendering of the "finder clone" looks different from the desktop text...

Is the shell going to be completely owner-drawn? or is it going to be standard (or skinned?) windows widgets?

What engine is producing the 3D elements in Cairo?

Is Cairo going to use any Vista-specific API that are not available in XP?

Thanks! The pictures look impressive!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Please be sure to check out our website for the latest information. There are so many threads all over the internet on Cairo that the team and I cannot answer all of your questions. We have our own website and forum for this reason.

Nevertheless, just as a quick summary, we have started building Cairo from scratch after one of our main developers went missing (still is after almost 2 months) and have a tentative alpha release date of June 29, 2008. As development progresses, we will be posting live screenshots, and possibly video.

For more information and discussion please visit our website (it's easy to find it: just enter our name in Google!)

• 8 months later...

Hello Cairo. Although I just missed the donation deadline for Cairo, I must admit I am impressed by this project and love where it is going. I spent years trapped in Windows, and when I saw windows vista was release I read hundreds of reviews for it and finally found out that it failed to match the innovation of Leopard. So I bought an Apple Macbook. And now I'm loving it. But your project looks so ingenious, and the OS is absolutly everything Vista was not, beautiful, simple, elegant.

One of the huge technologies today is Wireless Networking, and Wifi. If you made a start bar program for your Cairo Shell that launches as a one click menu that rescans on a single click, instead of all the bulky and complicated interfaces. Even more than that a program to scan continuously until one is found would be amazing.

Now to talk about the VS. The Vista Style bars remove the black glass style to your already amazing setup, if the VS was black glass too you would achieve in creating something entirely different from Vista in the fact that the background and messy icons won't ever show and distract you from your work. The transparency is fine, but only as translucently. Making a color coded Min Max and Close button would be amazing. I also Suggest simplifying and clarifying system preferences because in every OS or OSX, KDE, whatever it seems to be less than it should be, Maybe there should be Lists and Bigger headers obviously explained and simple icons. So as not to confuse the user. This is important, without understanding the startup menu, you can't always solve problems. Also maybe more utilities in Vista, like XP's disk defragmentation, and CCleaner like program, to remove the junk that builds up like an annoying case of acne.

BUT. I think you should try something for Linux. Linux is so promising in that many versions are free, if you can build off of that then you pretty much get an open source, very inexpensive operating system. Not only that, but if you charged 5-15 dollars for a final version of the Windows one, you can afford to add research for Linux. Eventually you can charge 5-15 dollars for that to help further research and development in both Windows and Linux.