Cairo: Welcome To The Revolution

// INTRODUCTION

www.cairoshell.com

This is a preview of Cairo, a Windows shell being developed first for Windows Vista, and then later for XP.

All these shots were created to aid our development team and are only concept designs at the moment. However, we have been waiting months before starting a thread here, as a few other forums have regarded this project as vaporware prematurely.

In order to avoid any misunderstanding, we want to state right off the bat that this is not vaporware. This thread was started because development has proceeded far enough that we can say for certain an alpha will be available in the next month or two. Our concept shots are our goal, and we will not settle for anything less than perfection. Our ideas and designs are constantly evolving in an effort to provide the community with the best software possible.

We want to exceed any and all expectations.

NOTE: We understand the similarities to OS X. All UI elements are temporary and constantly evolving to provide the best user experience.

// BACKGROUND

The goal of this project is to revolutionize technology standards and to bring the Windows desktop environment into a more realized, productive, and usable interface.

// FEATURES

Dynamic Desktop

Access files and data on your desktop. Group items into virtual folders by file type.

The image below shows the desktop after the user clicked on the Documents folder. You can see the browser controls have appeared near the bottom.

CairoConceptDesktop.jpg

Multi-Desktop Environment

Organize your applications by desktop. Apple labels to individual environments to easily move applications from one to the other. Group windows together for easier transfer.

CairoConceptDesktopSwitching.jpg

Start Bar

With the Start Bar, you can easily access application, drives, and locations. Our start replacement features drag and drop support, easy organizational schemes, and a fully integrated experience.

CairoConceptStartReplacementAndTask.jpg

File Explorer

With Cairo's new file explorer, you can easily organize files by type into virtual folders, preview live documents, and enhance your file browsing experience with unique features designed to make your experience more enjoyable.

CairoConceptExplorer.jpg

Other Special Features

Plugin System: Cairo uses an enhanced plugin system, which means you can harness Cairo's power to suit your needs and productivity levels; no guesswork-- just plain simplicity.

Easy to configure: Our unique preferences system allows you to tweak individual plugins easily and quickly.

User Interface: Cairo will deliver a remarkable user interface designed for usability and simplicity by taking standard items from today's interfaces and putting them to good use. The Windows Vista Aero/Basic interfaces will be replaced.

// And much, much more....

Please take the time to leave comments and feedback, as well as check out our own website and community. We are working hard to make sure Cairo lives up to expectations, and nothing is more important than satisfying our goals. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your support and enjoy.

-The Cairo Team

EDIT: If you would like to join our team, we are currently looking for experienced developers ( I know there are many talented individuals in this community). Please send us a PM or contact us on MSN for more information.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cairo is a city name. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't copyright such a name, so there's no problem calling it Cairo (as long as it is not called Cairo Graphics).

If someone asks, just say this is Cairo Shell and it is not related in any way to Cairo Graphics (such disclaimer should suffice).

Cairo is a city name. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't copyright such a name, so there's no problem calling it Cairo (as long as it is not called Cairo Graphics).

If someone asks, just say this is Cairo Shell and it is not related in any way to Cairo Graphics (such disclaimer should suffice).

My thoughts exactly.

We will release plugins to suit users needs. If we feel there are a large number of people looking for ways to turn Cairo into a more OS X desktop, we will see what we can do.

Good to hear! Aqua Soft would definitely go for it, I'm sure. I would, without question. You've got CoverFlow in Explorer/Finder, for crying out loud.